1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Steph carry his own team thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jiggyfly, Dec 22, 2020.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Hmmm. I thought this thread is about what Steph Curry does this year. And the question of whether he can get his team to the playoffs is literally the question you asked in Post #1:

2. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know, he has never had to do that.

This year he has some decent talent around him and the Warriors are currently the 8th seed in the West. Based on their SRS the Warriors are currently an average NBA team. So this year, it does not look like it.

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Right now the Warriors are the 8 seed in the Western Conference with a mediocre SRS.

The Warriors are the third worst defensive team in the Western Conference and the 7th best offense.

They right now are scoring about one more point than they allow.

So at this point I guess it is a "maybe"? They are battling the Mavericks, Grizzlies and Nuggets for the 7th-10th spots in the West.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Can you please bold the part where I said this year as opposed to any other specific year of Hardens?

Also please show me where I said just the playoffs?

Why would I be thinking just the playoffs when I am comparing him to Harden who has only been knocked out of the 1st round once?

And once again even if that's the question how could it be yes at this point?

5. Nook

Nook Member

As for Chris Paul, I did not really understand how good he has been and still is until the last handful of seasons. All of his advanced statistics are exceptional, but also consider that the Rockets best season ever was with CP3, the Thunder last year almost upset the Rockets in the playoffs with CP3 and now look at what he is doing with that Suns team.

I haven't ever seen Curry need to carry his team, so it is hard for me to say. Also, being a player than can carry a team is different than a player that is better with other star players. I agree with you that Curry and Harden would play off of each other very well..... but my concern would be Curry's defense.... CP3 is an elite (if not the best) defensive point guard in the league and Curry is bad.

Having said that, I think your position has a lot of merit.

6. durvasa

I don't know. I'm just quoting what you wrote. You pointed out that Harden never missed the playoffs and ended with "Steph?". I could only infer from that hat you were asking whether he'd miss the playoffs this year or not. You didn't say anything else about what "carry a full load" should mean for this Warriors team.

Now I see that him making the playoffs is not good enough for you. It's too bad you didn't say that from the outset, because it does make it seem like you're moving the goal posts.

If the question is "Will he make the playoffs", it can't be answered. We're not fortune tellers.

If the question is "Can this team make the playoffs with Steph carrying the load", then I see no problem with answering yes or no. It's a matter of opinion.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nice double speak.

How can you see no problem saying yes when you can't tell the future?

Remember last year when Memphis was doing even better and still missed the playoffs?

I can't help what you "infer" I clarified it several times so how am I moving the goalpost?

8. durvasa

Not sure why you're confused on this. Sorry, but I don't think I'll be able to explain it to you any more clearly.

Please point out the first time in this thread you clarified what you meant by Steph "carrying the load" this season. This thread was created in December. I'm hoping you're not just talking about your clarifications today (that the standard is Steph has to take this Warriors team as far as Harden took the Rockets in 2014 after they acquired all-star center Dwight Howard).

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

It wasn't my question, and it was asked to you in response to an outlandish claim you made.

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Of course he's moving goal posts. At one point, it was whether or not Curry could carry a team that didn't have multiple all-stars. Now its regressed all the way to:

"can he carry a team to multiple 50 win seasons with guys who will be out of the NBA in 2 years like what Harden did in 2014-15".

11. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

John wall carrying the Rockets on his back:

upload_2021-3-2_14-44-28.jpeg

Nook likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude I am not going back through the thread to find anything for you its there you do it since you need it.

I know when the thread was created because I created it and no it's not just today but I fail to see why that's not adequate for you.

Howard was hurt most of the year and in the playoffs as well so miss me with the allstar Howard take.

I'm done playing this game if want to continue with just making the playoffs continue but you have yet to say why the answer is yes now since you can't predict the future.

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You can score more points by barely scoring and shutting your opponent down. Again, the person to lead his team to more titles than anyone specialized in defense and rebounding.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The question is still can he carry a team that does not have multiple all stars, my baseline for carrying a team was 50 wins which is about Hardens average since he has been in Houston.

My argument has never regressed you and doofus are trying to narrow the scope.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

16. durvasa

From post 1, the question was will Steph miss the playoffs, and I'm doubting you defined any other benchmark for what it means to "carry a full load" this season beyond that until very recently. Just as you're not interested in digging up your own posts, I'm not interested in going back to dig up your posts either. So I guess we can just drop that.

You said 2014, didn't you? I assumed you meant Dwight's first year with us. You meant his second year?

I sincerely don't get what you're driving at. Maybe we're not on the same page as to what I'm answering "yes" to.

I can't say with certainty whether the Warriors will make the playoffs, and I never said otherwise. I'm not into making such predictions. All I said is I think Curry is capable of leading this team to the playoffs. That was my belief before the season started, based on my assessment of his abilities as a basketball player, and it still is my belief. Whether it will happen remains to be seen. Lots of things can go wrong, and Curry isn't the most durable of players.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude you said the answer was yes.

I'm done, you can't even own up to that.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

There are 2 big flaws with your question. First, even though Harden's Rockets didn't have stars, the team was custom built for him. The only year it wasn't was his first year, and the Rockets won 45 games. The Warriors aren't custom built around Curry. Second, you're trying to compare a 32 year old Curry with a mid-late 20's Harden.

Even if Curry fails to meet whatever your benchmark ultimately evolves into, the only conclusion you can draw is that a 32 year old Curry couldn't accomplish it. It won't have any bearing on what a prime Curry could or couldn't do.

I've already quoted you showing the moving goalposts. You're going to argue against your own quotes?

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL.

You really need a life, I have said what I needed to say.

20. durvasa

I can own up to anything that is true, but I have no idea what post of mine you are referring to at this point. At least link to it.