1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Steph carry his own team thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jiggyfly, Dec 22, 2020.

1. HardenVolumeOne

the warriors back then were still a level above most teams without curry

they went up 2-0 in the 2nd round on the blazers that same playoff run WITHOUT CURRY

vlaurelio likes this.
  2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

This **** is beyond silly. There are less than 10 players in the league that can do what Draymond can, if even that many.

3. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

A lot of what you say makes sense, westbrook actually falls into the predicament of believing he's more capable than he probably should and thus has shown he jacks up more shots, while draymond is rightly stubborn to almost never take the shot if steph can even get a little open.

I suppose we can agree to disagree on whether draymond could make it work with other stars, but I highly doubt we'll ever see that hypothetical play out as I think he'll try to follow steph the rest of his career. And as far as that dame stat, I dont doubt he runs around as much as steph, but I think steph knows how to do so to get open for catch and shoots better than him. Could be wrong, I'll go and look at dame highlights of recent games perhaps.

Having said all that, I admit I'm probably a little too harsh on draymond. Just to be clear, I think he's insanely high in regards to IQ and overall defense and I can't disagree with you on most of his reads. However, I just think he'd take a significant hit without curry. Not useless, but pretty average in most areas, like last year. And from what I remember from watching that video, it shows good points of his strengths, but I disagree with the premise that he was the second most valuable player on that team ,,, KD in that system during their title run bailed them out A LOT on both sides of the ball.

Appreciate you keeping it respectful though we disagree on some points. I'm curious as to what you thought of his performance in 2017-2018 against us. In my opinion I thought Tucker was actually giving him a little trouble with some pressure, and there were a couple of moments where draymond looked a little shook by our switch everything defense and constant daring him to shoot from 3. He made one big one in game 5 but other than that, he was looked a little vulnerable out there at the top of the key looking for opportunities that weren't there as often as usual. Harden's one-on-one defense that series I think allowed the dribble penetration needed for golden state to find opportunities eventually though.

HP3 likes this.
  4. HP3

HP3 Member

Well as far as that goes. Offensively yea that series was tough for all their players because our switch defense was designed for their type of offense. But because of his defense he's still a major factor out there. Like....our series is just one series dude brings it all of the playoffs and honestly, I really dont believe they win one single championship without him.

HewbieTrippin likes this.
  5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you mean CP3's injury right

6. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

most def that too. Moving screens, non-calls for harden's 3s, they all play a part, with cp3's injury being the worst. Even with the shady reffing, cp might have still been enough to pull us through.

7. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

8. HardenVolumeOne

here they come like clockwork to protect their boytoy curry lol. The media gets very defensive when it comes to Curry, but are always overly critical when it comes to Harden( despite harden playing with only a fraction of the talent that steph has in his career in houston). The warriors in 2020 are not winning games because of their offense, they are winning because of their defense led by Draymond Green and anchored by solid athletic wing defenders in oubre, and wiggins

#1468 HardenVolumeOne, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  9. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

I think he missed the point entirely. Curry still had 2 very good all-stars next to him. Heck, he had very capable role players like Livingston, Iguodala and Barnes next to him.

HP3 likes this.
  10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

They are on a 45 win pace

11. riko

riko Member

Draymond is what makes that team tick. He is the engine

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  12. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

13. HardenVolumeOne

morey and Sam hinkie changed the game. The warriors just had the better personel to implement moreys plan

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Gonna have to listen to this podcast when I drive home. This should be a hoot.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does any of that have to do with the original question.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

In 2014/2015, there was one other all-star -- a first year all-star in Klay Thompson. The Warriors won 67 games that year.

I'm not sure what is the benchmark for "carrying" this Warriors team. They are currently in the playoffs, even without Klay Thompson and with Draymond's scoring falling off a cliff from where it was at during their championship years. I can't say which other player would have them playing significant better in place of Curry.

17. durvasa

I guess the original question is whether Curry can lead this team to the playoffs, carrying "the full load"? I think the answer is yes, and they are in the playoffs right now if it started today, but we'll see if that lasts.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The Question was as opposed to Harden who only once did not get a top 4 seed so no just getting to the playoffs is not the measuring stick and it's not even the half way mark so how can the answer with just the playoffs be yes?

Why would you answer yes to that question right now?

I am not saying what the answer will be but I am willing to wait and see.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It would be Harden who has done more with less.

20. durvasa

That's a strange question to ask. Would it be wrong to answer "yes" to the question of whether Harden is capable of leading his team to a championship as its best player, even though he has yet to do so?