1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Steph carry his own team thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jiggyfly, Dec 22, 2020.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

In most of these plays, Draymond Green is literally standing still, staring at the action, waiting for a teammate to get open, and making the proper pass. Do you really think that most guards are incapable of this?

You're also underestimating how easy it to rack up assists when Curry is on fire and the statisticians are being overly generous in what constitutes an assist.

HewbieTrippin likes this.
  2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The topic of discussion should be overall impact. Its clear a player can have great overall impact even if they are limited offensively. You want to focus on offensive impact and we all know why.

Numerous stars, similar to the other players that had great overall impact despite not being great offensively. The Pistons aren't champions and contenders without what Ben Wallace gave them. They didn't have this player you describe. Same goes for the teams Rodman won with. Offensively challenged Mutombo helped a team get to a Finals and they had one inefficient offensive option. You don't seem to grasp that players skill sets can mesh with different systems and different types of players. Again, it's laughable.

HP3 likes this.
  3. HP3

HP3 Member

Except he’s not a guard, he’s a forward/center(this is also what makes him so valuable as well, there aren’t a lot of guys at his position who can do this) doing this and provide elite hof defense and no I don’t think that many guards in the league can make these type of passes. That’s why Ben Taylor(who knows more than you will ever know)properly rated Draymond as one of the best passers in the league. You unbelievable fraud.

And you underestimate the screen Draymond sets to get Curry open on a lot if these plays. Even in the video I linked Draymond is giving Curry help with his passing as well as his screening. Stop denigrating Draymond’s impact to boost Curry’s. Draymond has been GS second most valuable player in all of these title runs and they don’t win a single title without him, They are top 5 in defense and bottom 20 in offense. Give me a break with you garbage goodbye.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

This is one of the most ignorant statements I've ever read.

Not really. The 3pt make is by far the most difficult part of the play. How many players are capable of making those pull-up 3's off a hand-off? And how many players are capable of making the hand-off and setting a screen?

And Green was never GSW's 2nd most valuable player in any of their title runs. That's absurd.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Green would flourish with anybody because he has multiple tools that help anybody on the team.

What are you even talking about, he does not need a player who does all of that, he was great for Klay as well.

HP3 likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It seems this wekko guy just likes to pick a point and argue it into the ground even if he says ludicrous **** to back up his point.

How the hell did Green become the topic here?

HP3 likes this.
  7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yes, because some people think that he's an elite playmaker.

What exactly are you arguing here? We both agree that Draymond Green was an elite defender.

Are you trying to argue that he'd have HOF level impact on other teams due to his defense? If so, that's debatable. As for your comparisons, not only were Rodman, Mutombo, and Wallace excellent rebounders (Green isn't), but they were also bigger and have 10 DPOY awards between the 3 of them.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Whether or not a player "carries" his team depends on the strength of his supporting cast. Green is part of the Warriors' supporting cast.

9. HP3

HP3 Member

Yup you are a buffoon.

Lillard, Kyrie, KD, Jamal Murray. Draymond is one of the best screen setters in the league. So much that people complained about his “moving” screens.

Yea you are buffoon who doesn’t respect Draymond Might want to check his advanced numbers for the playoffs.

10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You unsurprisingly missed the point. Sure, there are numerous guys who can hit the pull-up 3. But there's countless guys who can hand the ball to a shooter and set a screen. Making the 3 is far more difficult than making the pass.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

He is. Playmakers require those who can finish.

Draymond is an elite player, period.

I’m arguing that you don’t have to be elite offensively to be elite overall. Focusing on offense is silly. Draymond is an elite nba player. So are multiple other players Curry has been blessed to play with. They would be elite playing with or without him.

Green doesn’t need to be bigger to be elite in this version of the NBA. He’s not checking the type of bigs those other guys had to. Only Rodman could handle his defensive responsibilities today.

HP3 likes this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

You know what, despite how much I have insulted you have been civil. I apologize for what I have said to you dispite how much I continue to think you are wrong.

Obviously t the three is harder no one has said it wasnt but it’s disingenuous to act like screen setting isn’t a valuable skill in the NBA. It’s really valuable. Setting a good screen is like a staple for pretty much ever offense. That’s why things like screen assists are now being tracked. But that’s not just wha makes Draymond so valuable. Its when to set it, how to set it, what type of screen to set couple that with his vision, passing and IQ(all of this combined with his hof defense) is what makes him an incredibly valuable piece for a team with Curry, KD, Lillard, Irving Murray etc. At this point I’m done. Back on ignore you go. One day I will learn :(

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Sounds like we have different definitions of what a "playmaker" entails. I think the playmaker is the one who causes the defensive breakdown.

Do you think that if he were on any other team, he'd have HOF impact?

The only reason I focus on his offense is because we agree about his defense. What's silly is that I have to keep repeating this to you.

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Of course screen setting is a valuable skill, but it's not nearly as valuable as being able to make a pull up, contested 3. The number of players who can set a good screen far surpasses the number of players who can hit a pull up, contested 3. In that respect, Green's assist numbers benefit greatly from Curry.

15. HP3

HP3 Member

As he would from Irving or Lillard or Murray or any other guard with abilities to shoot. See how that works? His skill set is valuable.NOW I am done I promise.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Lololololololol.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Lmao I deserve to be laughed at for this. Damnit man.

jiggyfly and peleincubus like this.
  18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Like I said before, plenty of guys are capable of setting the screen. To further the point, we're talking about professionals. Being able to set a proper screen shouldn't be celebrated....it should be expected.

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It’s all good. I’m sitting in my car and about to go back into my frigid apartment. I needed a good laugh. 2021 is looking a whole lot like 2020 right now.

HP3 likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

AWESOME!
    THANK YOU!
    YOU MADE MY DAY!!

HP3 likes this.