1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Steph carry his own team thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jiggyfly, Dec 22, 2020.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yes, the Warriors are one of the teams I follow. Do you follow them?

Draymond Green is a great passer, and the Warriors need a great passer to maximize Curry's impact. The Warriors were awful to start the season for a few reasons....Green being out, difficult opponents, players adjusting to new teammates, and Oubre turning into the worst shooter in NBA history.

I disagree that Green sets up the Warriors' offense. Curry does that, and Green is able to statistically capitalize on it. For instance, look at Green's recent 11 assist game against Orlando. His playmaking accounted for 2 of those assists. The remaining 9 resulted from teammates getting open on their own, capitalizing on a 4v3 due to Curry, or Curry hitting contested perimeter shots.

If you believe that Green currently has HOF impact, then do you agree that any great passer would also have HOF impact playing alongside Curry?

bmelo likes this.
  2. bmelo

bmelo Member

Dont bother with people who are thinking Harden is greatest offensive wespon ever. What even is this thread? It was always Currys team. Its Durant who joined 73win team not the other way round, and its Curry who made Dray and Klay allstars not the other way round

3. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yes. Defense and rebounding are important, but many players in the league can provide those services. No one else can provide the same things as Curry.

I think Green will make the HOF, but I also think that he wouldn't make it if he were on any other team. I also think Green currently looks slower and less explosive than he did when the Warriors were winning titles.

Green actually does need Curry to be great. No other player maximizes Green's potential as much as Curry does.

4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Is the other great passer also one of the 5 best defenders in the game?? On defense alone he should make the Hall of Fame. What did Ben Wallace do other than defense? Ben will probably make it in a few years and his offense is 10x worse than Draymond. HOF is voted by media and they love the Warriors. Draymond might be first ballot.

I understand Currys impact too. His non stop running and gravity helps open up the floor for his teammates. But that only works with an unselfish player like Draymond. When he was out Curry had to resort more to ISO ball and he's just not that great in ISO. His efficiency plummets that way.

HP3 and MettaWorldPete like this.
  5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Please delete

6. MettaWorldPete

Exactly. Curry is amazing, but this thread is asking whether he can carry a team on his own, and the answer is obviously not. Even if Curry is what allows Draymond to be his best Draymond, we’ve seen that Curry can’t do it without him.

HP3 likes this.
  7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Just so I'm clear, you think that Green is currently playing HOF caliber defense?

Ben Wallace is a 4x DPOY whereas Draymond Green won it once. That's kind of a big difference, don't you think?

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

There aren’t many players that can do what Green can do, and they are multiple other players that could ring with the supporting casts Curry has had. And no, Green doesn’t need Curry to be great. Neither did the multiple other star players he’s been blessed to play with. Their skill sets would translate to numerous other teams and alongside plenty of other players.

HP3 likes this.
  9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Draymond career isn't over. He has taken a step back defensively but it has been that way for a few years cuz he saves himself for the playoffs.

But he is a 3 time champion and that will factor into HOF voting.

HP3 likes this.
  10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Offensively, there are plenty of players who can do what Green does.

Disagree. Green would've flourished anywhere defensively, but in order to be impactful offensively, he needed Curry. Green's offensive skill really doesn't translate to other teams/players as well as you think. Look at it this way...how many stars are willing to play off-ball? How many stars are elite catch and shoot guys?

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Again, do you think Green is currently playing HOF caliber defense or not?

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Offense isn’t the only aspect of basketball. That’s what you don’t seem to be grasping. If it were then guys like Wallace or Rodman, or Green, wouldn’t be impactful. The 95 Bulls had the best offensive player on Earth. Why did they lose?

And of course you disagree. You have been nut riding Curry and attributing the skills other great players have to him for the longest. It’s laughable. The players he’s been blessed to play with are highly skilled players that would excel in multiple other situations along multiple other teammates. They may not run the exact same scheme but there are multiple players that would ring playing alongside the talent Curry has had, just like there are multiple players that could carry his current team to the postseason (playoffs should be the expectation for a super star).

HP3 likes this.
  13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I know that defense matters. But we both agree that he's an elite defender, so why beat a dead horse? We disagree on his offensive impact.....so shouldn't that be the topic of discussion?

Ask yourself this....what kind of star would Green flourish alongside? He'd have to be a good shooter, a good catch and shoot player, a willing off-ball player, and a ball-handling playmaker (for pick and rolls). How many players check all those boxes?

14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i actually missed the word "currently" in your post. but even then, i would say yes. someone with draymond's current impact on a team's defense and current ability to play a facilitating role on offense, if they played at this level for a career, should be in the hall. there are any number of hall of famers who were much more on the "empty stats" side of things than impact side of things who, even at their peaks, wouldn't help you win more games than draymond right now.

i will say i'm surprised basketball-reference only has him at 31% to make the hall. historically being a main contributor on a dynasty is a pretty sure-fire way into the hall so i'm surprised the formula doesn't give him much of a chance. klay is at 51% even though green was a much bigger part of the warriors run.

HP3 likes this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

Draymond Greem is one of the best passers in the league. There are only like two forwards/cenrters who can pass like him at his position(lol literally Lebron and Jokic)It’s so idiotic to think someone can screen and pass and have the chemistry with Curry like he does on offense while leading an elite defensive unit. Like you would have to be idk.....a moron? :D

16. HP3

HP3 Member

The Warriors defense is also top 10 in the league while their offense is mediocre who does anyone think is leading their defense Wiggins???? Haha

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

But, but, but... "he's not getting the same good looks he had when he played with a stacked team..." says Dame Lillard after seeing a bad shooting game by Curry.

18. HP3

HP3 Member

Like you are an idiot if you think any player much less forwards or centers could make these type of passes or have the vision to even look for them and this is all while playing elite level defense that has the Warriors in the top 5 of defensive efficiency.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

@HP3 Maybe we should change the question to: Can Draymond carry his own team? :D

jiggyfly and HP3 like this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean I’m not idiot i know Steph is playing amazing lol. He’s playing like the top offensive player in the league. But regardless of Steph I have never appreciated the disrespect Dray has gotten as a player. Dude is a HOF, one of the best defensive players ever and GS state wins no titles without him. Steph isn’t alone out there by any stretch.

Easy likes this.