1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Steph carry his own team thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jiggyfly, Dec 22, 2020.

1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone is saying Curry isn't great. You are just trying to compare him to Harden who is probably the most under appreciated super star ever. Harden is one of kind and can carry teams like few before him. The title of this thread is not "Is Curry the best off ball player and shooter of time!" Because no question he is. The title of the thread is can he carry his own team? And the answer is a resounding no.

He's easily the best complimentary or second best player anyone could play with. But asking him to dominate the ball and take over games takes away from his greatest strengths. Plus he has durability issues and can't take on that load offensively and settles for crazy 3s. He doesn't attack the basket or create nearly as well as guys we've seen carry teams like Harden and Lebron.

2. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Draymond Green has clearly regressed athletically since then, and his perimeter shooting has dropped for 5 straight years. I'd rather have current Capela than current Draymond Green.

He can catch lobs and generate points through offensive rebounds.

BallaDoc likes this.
  3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

You do realize the reason Steph scores soo much is on pick and rolls with Draymond and he looks to get Steph open right? Clint Capela can not make any of those passes. Their two man game wouldn't be nearly as lethal cuz Capela with the ball at the three point is useles cuz he can't create a shot for anyone else. He can't even dribble.

He literally just got a triple double and you say he's useless on offense. 50% of guys in the league could never get 10 assists in a game.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I saw the game. I looked for Curry in the 4th and OT. Only times I noticed him were when Ja was dropping buckets on his head.

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

How are you defining "carry"? He led the league in scoring with an unexpectedly high efficiency and a weak supporting cast. IMO, leading the Warriors to the 8th best record in the west with 3 offensively challenged starters is impressive.

6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Carry is defined by winning and his team missed the playoffs in arguably the easiest year there was to make the playoffs.
    Every single team in the west was missing stars for big chunks of the season and he still couldn't do it.. I don't care that he wins scoring titles, T-Mac has plenty of those.

Every one of these guys missed a huge chunk of games. Most teams were playing with g leaguers. And warriors somehow still didn't make it...

AD, Lebron, Kawhi, PG, Jamal Murray, Donovan Mitchell, Porzingis, McCollum.

Even in the east. Embid, KD, Kyrie, Harden.
    List goes on and on. Literally no excuse for him
    to not make the playoffs.

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Capela wouldn't need to dribble. He had no problem flourishing alongside Harden and Trae Young. I don't see how he'd struggle alongside Curry.

You underestimate how easy assists are when playing alongside the GOAT shooter/off-ball player.

Did you see Draymond Green's game winner attempt at the end of regulation? He passed up a wide open 15 footer and forced a contested floater that missed the rim entirely and hit the bottom of the backboard. Most of the guys in the league couldn't miss that badly if they tried.

8. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Legacies are defined by titles, not volume playoff appearances. No one cares that the Warriors missed the playoffs if they didn't have the talent to contend. Look at Kobe after Shaq left. His Lakers team missed the playoffs one season. Does anyone care about that now? Does that tarnish his legacy at all?

Also, you know that Klay Thompson missed the entire season, right?

GotGame15 likes this.
  9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

The Warriors would have to change their entire offensive philosophy if Capela was on the team. Curry doesn't drive nearly as much as Harden or Trae to set up Capela for those easy dunks. He can't do it because he will get injured. It's proven time and time again. He needs to stay on the perimeter to stay healthy for 82 games.

he has bad ankles and the year before he broke his wrist driving to basket.

10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Why you keep changing the argument? Can Steph carry his own team does not mean can he win a championship with other super stars. Sure give him another all star, then obviously he's not carrying anymore. He should not have missed the playoffs this year and you know it. Did you see the team Damian Lillard was playing with earlier this season? Literally his entire starting lineup was out except for him. No excuses. Dame got the Blazers to a 6 seed.

I personally have always hated championship arguments. Some players have bad luck and just end up stuck on poorly run franchises. Some players get lucky and get to play with all time greats. Things they can't control matters too much in winning rings. So when players start taking matters into their own hands people hate them for leaving and taking easy way out.

look at Minnesota. Easily dumbest franchise in history. They literally traded 2 frps and Wiggins for Deangelo Russell. And I think Wiggins is a better player than Russell. Once again Warriors strike gold.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Curry is one of the most flexible players in the league. If the Warriors wanted to change their offensive philosophy, he'd easily be able to adapt.

Do you know why he stays on the perimeter? It's because he's the GOAT shooter. You're going through so many mental gymnastics to ignore the obvious.

He broke his wrist because Aaron Baynes's full body weight fell on him after he landed awkwardly on his wrist.

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

I haven't changed the argument at all. I'm simply responding to your statements.

Since the beginning of this thread, I predicted they'd miss the playoffs. The GSW supporting cast is too weak.

13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Because he can't hold up to an 82 game season playing that style. I don't know how you don't see it. It's frame he's to small. If Harden or Lebron drive into Aaron Baynes and hit him, he's falling backwards and not on them.

You are the one going through mental gymnastics. How does Capela help Curry? You said it yourself he's the greatest shooter of all time. He should play on the perimeter. Why would you want him to drive to set up Capela.

In all honesty, Capela is a better compliment to Harden and Draymond is a perfect compliment to Curry. If they switched teams neither would be as effective.

Zboy and hakeem94 like this.
  14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Most players in the league would've had a broken wrist if Baynes landed on them the way he landed on Curry. I suggest you watch the play (because it's clear you didn't).

It's easier to fill out a lineup around Curry/Capela than it is Curry/Draymond Green. With Curry/Green, you need scorers, interior defense, and rebounding. With Curry/Capela, you need scorers and ball-handlers, but since most scorers are also ball-handlers, that's not hard to do.

Draymond Green is terrible at putting the ball in the basket. How can that be the "perfect" complement to anyone?

15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

So why are you posting in a thread about him carrying a team when clearly your answer is no.

His supporting cast is fine. It's not even worse than the teams Lebron carried to the finals. And he missed the playoffs out right.

heck Julius Randle just carried the Knicks to the 4th seed. Where did that come from? Just proves my argument how every single team was missing players for huge chunks of the season. Every team had weak supporting casts so of all the years, this is definitely the year he should have made it. The Rockets had what 35 different players this year?

16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

m
    I watched the play plenty. Curry was on my fantasy team last year and he literally sat out an entire season for what was suppose to be a 4-6 week injury so the Warriors could tank and get Wiseman. What I'm saying is Curry too small to drive and he's not adept at avoiding big hits. No one in the league drives more than Harden and he's never taken a hit like that. One because he's stronger than most players. The players bounce off of him and won't fall on top of him.

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The Warriors supporting cast is terrible. In your opinion, who on the Warriors met or surpassed expectations? Only Wiggins, right?

Other teams missed players for huge chunks of the season? Klay Thompson missed the entire season. Do you understand this?

18. Nook

Nook Member

The answer to OP’s question is “NO”, at least not this season.

jiggyfly, Richie_Rich, Zboy and 4 others like this.
  19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Lol plenty of teams still made it without another all star. Why you keep bringing up Klay Thompson. Who's even good on the grizzlies how did they lose that game? Beside Jonas and he fouled out in 20 minutes.

Warriors roster is better than the grizzlies roster. Remove Ja and Curry. Who has a better team?

Reeko, clutchdabear, Nook and 3 others like this.
  20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Then watch it again because you don't remember it. Baynes did fall backwards after undercutting Curry.

When Harden drives to the rim, he usually doesn't jump high enough to get undercut.

In any case, history won't remember him as being injury prone. After all, he had 5 straight years of 78+ games played during their glory years.