1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Steph carry his own team thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jiggyfly, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Naw, because they saw what he did the next two seasons.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Looking at his history they would be correct.

Why do you think he demanded a trade?

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Kobe is not actually clutch if you look at the metrics its a myth that has surrounded him.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-so-many-people-think-that-Kobe-Bryant-is-clutch

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/1/3/7485611/kobe-bryant-clutch-lakers-data

fckbandwagons likes this.
  4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

How am I ignoring numbers? I'm simply reminding you that the primary objective is to win.

Harden and Curry are the 2 most prolific 3pt shooters of this generation, and in terms of 3pt shooting percentage, Curry is 2 levels above Harden. He's the GOAT shooter and the GOAT off-ball player. That trumps cherry-picked stats.

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If that's the case, was he not the most feared player on the court with the ball towards the end of the game for about good decade (00-12). Just going by who most players/coaches in the league at the time feared in crunch time/late in the 4th QTR? It was Kobe by far. Those stats are a fair point, but you have to consider the way defenses and coaches planned against certain players. I'd wager and would find most of those shots were not simple one-on-one/man-to-man defense.

Using the same numbers, would you say Rudy Gay was the most feared player in crunch time or the best 4th QTR within the same time span?
    https://www.quora.com/Who-is-the-NBAs-all-time-leader-in-game-winning-shots
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/2/18/21141286/nba-buzzer-beaters-leaders-history
    http://82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm

Was Rudy a more clutch performer in 4th quarter and better in crunch time than Kobe? The numbers say yes, to a point, but could you prove that to NBA players and coaches. They'll probably gawk at you or laugh you out of a room, because they've actually played against or coached against both players. If it's a myth, then why opposing players and coaches fear him with the ball from any part of the court. They've had to stop him in those situations in actuality. He took much more of those shots than most players, even other superstars. That shows alot of fearlessness, because oftentimes if a play did not call for it and player was not going to be taking a tough shot in those situations, especially from a random spot on the floor.

I'm not even a Kobe fan, but the guy is called the Black Mamba for a reason. In that situation, he had that reputation for a reason. Again, go back to the players and people who were a part of the game and ask them why it is a myth?

Again, this is in comparison to Harden.

DavidJuan likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who said he was the most feared player over a decade?

That's your opinion.

The guy gave himself the name of Black Mamba and that's supposed to mean something?

You are just making **** up about he took much more shots than other superstars.

7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

the players/GM's filling out those surveys are subject to the same myth-building and reputation biases as everyone else. they might have feared kobe the most, but he wasn't hitting shots the most. they're no different than the voters who kept putting kobe on all-defensive 1st teams like 7 years after he should have stopped being on them.

if you are going by game-winners, then yes, he should have been feared. rudy made a solid number over a few year stretch. he was like Iso Joe in that way. i wouldn't fear rudy over the whole 4th quarter or maybe the last 2 minutes like other people, but for a game-winner he definitely made a lot. kind of like melo was mostly an inefficient ballhog but also made quite a few game-winners/last second shots over a long stretch.

sure, he was fearless. i don't doubt that. but he also was basically only going to shoot in last second situations, no matter the difficulty level. and he didn't prove to be any more proficient than a lot of other people. so his reputation is simply not deserved.

despite playing as much as they do, players are often terribly inaccurate on their perceptions of what is happening on the court. they have all sorts of misconceptions. players tend to love the iverson's/melo's/kobe's of the world more than their actual value would suggest is appropriate (though kobe was obviously still very good).

jiggyfly and jordnnnn like this.
  8. bmelo

bmelo Member

this is the place on the internet where you will be hated for stating obvious facts like Curry is best shooter, LeBron is best player, AD best post defender... remember according to clutchfans excel Harden is best ever in every of those categories

9. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Sorry, but according to Clutchfans*...
    Matt Maloney is the best shooter.
    Ryan Bowen is the best post defender.
    and V-Span is the best player.

*(forums not the preeminent overlord)

DavidJuan likes this.
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you know you are posting in a thread not titled "Is Curry the best shooter thread." right?

11. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

True, but I'm sure that if you go to many other team fan sites people will hate you for saying that Harden is great, so I suppose it evens out.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Except that Clutchfans prides itself as the best sport fans site in the world. There are many great posters here who bring level-headed, informative, and solidly grounded conversations. Not to mention, the site owner Clutch is universally respected, who is well connected with the Rockets organization.

Of course, this is still the internet. There are always extremists, toxic personal attacks, bullying, etc. going on. With a exponential increase of membership in the past decade or so, it naturally comes with the increase of nasty things. If you go to the Feedback Forum, you can see that there are almost annual complaint threads by old timers to lament about the deterioration of this place. Personally, I believe that the deterioration is not of this place but of the society at large.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

True, true. I joined recently but I lurked at this site for a long time, and I've at times lurked at other team's fan sites as well, and the Rocket fan site is by far the best.

Easy likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Congrats to 2021 scoring champion Steph Curry.

15. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Multiple MVP, Scoring titles & Championships...

Wilt, Kareem, Jordan and now Curry.

KingCheetah likes this.
  16. HardenVolumeOne

ive said the warriors roster around steph wasnt nearly as bad the steph curry stans made it seem

kent bazemore is a guy the rockets have liked for years. wiggins and oubre are basically a younger rich mans luc and ariza, never mind eric paschall, draymond and looney. Everything else after that is gravy simply because the players i just named are proven in this league otherwise the warriors would be so deep in the luxury tax

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

I think this is probably the worst Warriors' team Steph has ever played on.

18. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Probably the worst roster to ever make the postseason in any sport.

KingCheetah likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

*and win a championship in any sport.

JumpMan likes this.
  20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You know it's a bad supporting cast when people are bringing up Bazemore, Paschall, and Looney as examples of "good" players.