1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Steph carry his own team thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jiggyfly, Dec 22, 2020.

1. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

Well, sure. If you have Lebron and AD on your team, probably you could get away with Wiggins as a starter. If you have Steph and Klay, if you have James and KD, if you have Magic and Kareem...etc.

But not with Wiggins as your second scoring option.

2. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Steph did some heavy lifting this season.

JayGoogle and DavidJuan like this.
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

In my eyes, meaning my opinion. You don't have to care about what I think lmao. It's cool that you're defending Wiggins and that you don't think he's a bust. I mean, he IS, but you don't have to think so. That's the beauty of opinions!

Also, my bad. Didn't realize one decent season apparently erases six seasons of trash. You want metrics, though?

14.90 PER - good for 20th overall in the league among SFs - http://insider.espn.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/sf
    -0.8 RAPTOR rating - 6th overall among his own teammates, (min. 1000 min played) - https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/

Those are not good metrics for a 25 year old #1 overall pick. If everything panned out, Wiggins should be in the conversation for being one of the top players in the league, but the argument can actually be made, that he's not even in the top 20 of SFs right now.

4. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

LOL! And Kuzma is 35th among SFs.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who is talking about Wiggins as your second scoring option?

We are talking about him being a starter on a good team.

6. wekko368

wekko368 Member

That's a pretty low bar you're setting for a guy making almost $30m this year.

7. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

Okay, let's not have a misunderstanding. The context is that we are in a thread which explores whether Steph Curry can carry his team.

Now, Curry has had an amazing statistical season, but some have argued that fighting for a playoff spot - currently at 8th - is not good enough to consider carrying the team, because the rest of the team is good. I argued that Curry has done his part to carry the team, but the rest of the team - other than Draymond within his particular role - is simply not that good. The fact that they only won one game when Curry didn't play seems to bear this out.

In that context, considering that Wiggins is clearly the second offensive option in this team, I pointed out that he is a player who's considered a bust. My point was to highlight that he didn't work out with the Timberwolves as a first option, and he's not working out with the Warriors as a second option. Now, maybe he will work with the Warriors as a third option, if Klay ever comes back healthy and is close to who he was. I don't deny that possibility, and given that the Warriors will probably be unable to get rid of Wiggins due to his contract, we'll probably get to find out next year if he can be a good third option, assuming Klay manages to return and in decent enough form.

I did give you the benefit of the doubt in that maybe he's better defensively than I thought - especially given that the Warriors have been playing better than expected defensively. But, I will still argue that in this team, with the players they have, being the second option after Curry, Wiggins is simply not good enough offensively to help make them a good team.

Do you disagree with that?

#2267 DavidJuan, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Wiggins has never been on a good team. The only winning team he was on was 17-18. He was the third option on that 47-win team with Jimmy Butler and KAT.

Go ahead and keep arguing that Wiggins as the second option is sufficient to help Curry carry the Warriors.

DavidJuan likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am not misunderstanding anything.

You said this.

But my point is that Wiggins does not work as part of a good team.

So when did it change to being the 2nd option?

And who is arguing that he is the 2nd option on a good team?

My point is that he is not a bust and he has turned into being a above average starter.

Can you stay on topic?

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who is arguing that?

Please show me where I have argued that?

Do you have comprehension problems?

11. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

Okay, let me clarify:

"But my point is that having Wiggins as your second option does not work as part of a good team".

12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So the goalpost have moved.

Interesting.

clos4life likes this.
  13. HardenVolumeOne

the warriors are willing to pay luxury tax to surround curry with 3and D wings like bazemore, oubre and Wiggins to hide curry on defense. Curry would be even more exposed without them

14. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

Dude! Clarifying a point does not equal moving a goalpost.

15. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

All this talk of a “good” team. YES, Curry has enough help (Wiggins included) to not be part of a nearly .500 team.

clos4life and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

How exactly is Curry hidden? Bazemore comes off the bench, and Oubre/Wiggins don't guard the opposing starting point guard.

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

GSW has a terrible supporting cast. They have no rim protection and inconsistent perimeter shooting.

Wiggins has been a career underachiever, but he's having a solid year this year. Nothing special. Oubre has been bad. Wiseman was playing bad enough that he lost his starting job to Looney before getting hurt. Draymond Green proved last year that he's pretty underwhelming without Curry.

Also, when Curry plays, the Warriors are 34-26.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You made a meaningless argument to begin with. All of us on this board could be a starter for a "good" team as long as the other 4 starters are elite players.

19. HardenVolumeOne

yes they do, they guard the Lillards, Kyrie, even little ole tj McConnell

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Against the Lakers, doesn't Curry guard Schroder?