1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Steph carry his own team thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jiggyfly, Dec 22, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He carried more than his ankle injuries.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Steph Curry is presently leading the league in scoring, RPM, and Wins based on RPM. He leads in the league in Offensive RAPTOR and is second in RAPTOR-based WAR. His team is 34-26 when he plays (46 win pace), 1-7 when he doesn't.

I don't think his legacy will be negatively impacted by what he did this season.

blahblehblah likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Have you looked at Wiggins numbers this year?

He may be a bust a 1st overall pick but he is currently an above replacement level player.

It's obvious you have not ran the actual numbers on the individual players on that team and are using some old tired narratives.

Your bias is showing.

vlaurelio likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Can Wiggins carry his own team?

Jontro likes this.
  6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Funny, he has 7.14 ORPM and 0.01 DRPM. Curry is a great scorer that isn’t great at anything else, who also happens to be injury prone. So it’s not surprising to see him on a “mighty” 46 win pace on a non stacked roster. So I guess the conclusion is he can carry a team to mediocrity?

As far as the bolded, his legacy won’t be impacted when everyone is going nuts over seeing him do what we see elite players do all the time, put up big numbers on teams that don’t win a lot. We’ve seen this story...a lot.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

...but he's still a bust. The poster you're quoting isn't wrong. Relative to where Wiggins was picked, he's a bust.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

wiggins' golden state warriors thread.

KingCheetah likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He is not a bust.

A bust would have been out of the NBA years ago and would never be an above average starter on a winning team.

Yes the poster and you are wrong.

Bust has nothing to do with were you are picked its about you as a player.

I know the bust label has been used so much about Wiggins but nobody actually looks at his numbers and advanced stats anymore.

10. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

I know that I wouldn't want Houston to trade for Wiggins. One hundred percent sure.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I would not either but what does that have to do with anything?

There are 20 to 30 guys in the NBA That I would not want Houston to trade for.

12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No single player carries a team. They need a good coach, great teammates, luck from not getting injured, and sometimes the help of the refs. Certain players can't be touched, without drawing a foul. Kobe and Steph are fine examples of that.

13. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

Well, maybe Wall for Wiggins straight up.

But my point is that Wiggins does not work as part of a good team. He'll have his games, but he's not consistent, and his contract is poison, it pretty much guarantees that you have to fill your roster with scrubs. Especially the Warriors, who are also stuck with a max on Klay who hasn't played for two years.

Minnesota gave up a number one pick - likely a high one - to get rid of Wiggins, and I think even with that the Warriors are regretting it.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't agree with that, he has been very consistent over the last couple of years, he would add value to any playoff team because of his defense alone and his ability to create a shot being a 3rd or 4th option.

Yes his contract is poison but his play adds value to a team.

What does he do that does work as part of a good team?

He is better than Kyle Kuzma and would be an upgrade for the Lakers.

15. wekko368

wekko368 Member

He's been consistently underwhelming over the last few years. Look at his numbers.

Kyle Kuzma is the Lakers' 4th option and is on his rookie contract. He's scheduled to make $13m next year. Andrew Wiggins makes $30m this year, and you're comparing him to other teams' 4th options. The fact that you have to lower the bar so much to make him look good speaks volumes.

If his contract is poison, then he doesn't add value to a team. Do you understand the concept of "opportunity cost"?

And relative to his salary, that's a bust.

16. DavidJuan

DavidJuan Member

I don't think much of Kuzma either, but if the Lakers front court is healthy, it doesn't really matter if they have a Kuzma or a Wiggins.

Likewise, If the Warriors had a healthy Klay, they probably would do okay with Wiggins as well. They won a title with Harrison Barnes, who is nothing great either.

As it is, I think Wiggins as a second scoring option behind Curry, with all the space and open looks he gets, should be doing better than he is. Maybe he makes it up on the defensive end, I haven’t paid enough attention to him to dispute you on that. At Minnie he wasn’t considered a good defender, but I suppose he could have improved.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Which is a bigger bust -- Wiggins or this thread?

jiggyfly, blahblehblah and DavidJuan like this.
  18. Juxtaposed Jolt

???

It absolutely has to do with where you're picked AND about you as a player. No one is calling Cory Jefferson a bust. Who's that? The dude who went 60th overall (last) in the same draft as Wiggins. Why isn't he a bust, despite averaging 3 / 2.5 over two seasons in the NBA? Because he averaged those stats relative to his draft position.

Wiggins got so much hype coming out of college, that he was either the next LeBron or Jordan. At worst, Vince Carter. Dude was more hyped than Durant, Kyrie, Derrick Rose, etc. If he was picked somewhere in the 10-30 range, nobody would be calling him a bust. You're supposed to be a franchise's cornerstone piece, if you're picked at the top. He wasn't that for Minnesota and as you said, he's like the 3rd or 4th option So he definitely isn't that for the Warriors, either.

He's an above average starter on a winning team. Sure. But he has a healthy Stephen Curry and Draymond Green on his team. It's definitely easy to look 'above average' when one dude gets most of the defensive pressure and the other dude is the team's best playmaker.

Wiggins is in a perfect situation. Doesn't have to be the best scorer/playmaker (Curry) nor be the best passer/playmaker/defender (Green) on his team. And when Klay comes back next year, assuming GSW keeps Wiggins, Wiggins will be even under less pressure.

Despite his stats, Wiggins was mostly the 3rd best player (sometimes 2nd) on his team, both in Minnesota and in Golden State. He's always been a bad defender (better this year) and inefficient shot-chucker. Those things aren't supposed to be true when you're drafted first overall.

In my eyes, he's a bust.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

But Kuzma was a starter on a championship team so it matters when you say Wiggins can not be.

I will give you credit for admitting you have not been keeping up with Wiggins because he has become a above average defender and a semi efficient scorer.

I think a lot of people have paid little attention to Wiggins actual play the last 2 years.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

In your eyes?

Why do we care what a random on the internet thinks but let get some other randoms that actually use metrics to back up what they say.

Oh yeah and he is still only 25.

https://www.wyexpect.com/stories/andrew-wiggins-not-maple-jordan-but-not-a-bust-either

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/w...as-been-silencing-critics-ever-trade-warriors