1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Steph carry his own team thread.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jiggyfly, Dec 22, 2020.

1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Where is Westbrook’s bump?? Seriously, of all people I shouldn’t have to tell you that Westbrook blows. He doesn’t get a bump.....he is contributing to beal’s bump.

I agree with you, WAR is not meant to be a list from best to worst. That’s exactly why I took issue with your op claiming: “Draymond is 20th in WAR....therefore Steph isn’t alone” I don’t think being 20th in WAR justifies that statement, even if it does justify draymond being an impact player on a garbage team.

#2141 T for 3, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  2. HardenVolumeOne

A .500 record is good enough for the curry hive lol

Rocket River, vlaurelio and hakeem94 like this.
  3. HardenVolumeOne

the man just explained to you that this warriors roster is not even as close to as bad as these curry stans would have you believe, used the 538 raptor metric and everything( no excuse for a leader in the mvp race to have a sub .500 record for the majority of the season lol). You and kingcheetah just cant live with the fact that harden covered up so many holes on the rockets over the years, and refused to believe that without him we are trash. Hardens advanced stats were elite for a reason. Led the league in VORP 4x, only guard to do it more is west and jordan. He was for years the most valuable or 2nd most valuable player in the league that even his own fanbase shitted on. Now we suck and you are jumping on hardens biggest rival's bandwagon because you are bitter. I even saw you in the dish on the brooklyn nets harden thread sneakdissing james, but it was you and asian sensation saying for years yall wanted him gone. Why you gotta sneakdiss james, you are mad about something

clos4life likes this.
  4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Draymond's value/worth is a an interesting and wildly diverse subject. While his defensive skills are clearly elite, his terrible shooting ( sub 50% TS - 42% FG 25% 3pt ) along with his good playmaking (8.8 assist per game) leads to wildly divergent takes on how good/bad Draymond has been this season. Add in the fact that Draymond and Steph play most of their minutes together ( 1428 minutes together +5 net rating ... 212 minutes dray w/o steph -7.8 net rating ... 381 minutes steph w/o dray -4.27 net rating) along with factors such as inconsistent/unreliable advance defensive metrics leads to a wildly varying determination of how good or bad Draymond green is. Publicly available advance metrics are wildly divergent on this point. BBall ref has Draymond at 101 in WS... VORP is 69th. BPM has Dray is at 70th. NBA's PIE Draymond is 5.1 (thats beyond the top 100+) PER Draymond is 12.5. ESPN RPM 110th at 0.63. 538's raptor as you pointed out has draymond at 20th.

None of these advance metrics are significantly better or more accurate at determining the value/impact of a player... ESPECIALLY when measuring defensive value. That said... aside of 538's outlier, the other advance metrics have him somewhere in the 50th to 100+ range.

T for 3 likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Do you think that gets you off the hook when you said this just before?

Jakob Poeltl is 22nd on that list. Bradley Beal 18th, Fred Van Vleet 12th. Are those guys on the best teams? Are they considered to be in the highest tier of players in the league. Of course not. So why are their WARs so high? Because relative to the talent level on the rest of the team, their presence on the court makes the most difference.

You tried to have it both ways, you tried to **** on the list because those guys were on it.

Like I said you suck at this, why don't you actually bring some metrics and numbers to defend your position that this GS state team has worse players than that Rockets team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wow I am almost embarrassed for you.

You are making his point and you asked if I can read.

[​IMG]

7. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I was restating his question. That would be obvious if you read the whole post, or could comprehend what you read.

As for bringing metrics to the discussion, jordnnn said that the 538 tool showed that the 14-15 Rockets team had more depth. That was my whole point. Wiggins doesn’t move the needle for me as much as that Rockets team being deep and veteran does. I assume the high end talent jordnnn is talking about on the current gs team is Wiggins. I’ll take the depth of the 14-15 Rockets team any day. I don’t consider Wiggins top end talent.

Take that for data.

#2147 T for 3, Apr 26, 2021
    hakeem94 likes this.
  8. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Agree with you about jokic being the mvp. At this point it's pretty much a foregone conclusion. Tim bontempts conducted a straw poll of actual mvp voters and media members mid april. The result was overwhelming. 90 first place vote for jokic. 5 first place for embid. No one except dame had more than 1 vote. https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...anyone-catch-denver-nuggets-star-nikola-jokic

Embid, giannis are IMO the clear runner-ups. I'd probably have luka 4th then either LeBron, Steph, cp3, dame or gobert 5th depending on how they finish the season. Harden despite a very good season wouldn't qualify imo, since a he's projected to only play 34 games total with the nets. That's barely 47% of the season.

hakeem94 and durvasa like this.
  9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Good point. I didn't consider that a significant chunk of Harden's season was played for a different team. I'd swap in Lillard for him in my ranking, then.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

2 people have Jokic 3rd and 1 person has Jokic 4th. Like, who tf are these people? They should not be allowed to vote lol.

Also, with all the circumstances of the season, I don't get how Jokic isn't unanimous, at this point. There's literally no justification as to why anyone else is 'better' than Jokic.

He's played in every game. His stats are incredible, especially for a big. His team is winning, and he now has to go the rest of the way without the team's second best player (5-1 from when Murray went down, to present day).

11. HardenVolumeOne

preach, wouldnt shock me tho if they robbed jokic

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why wouldn’t it surprise you, if your explanation for Steph Curry bias is his skin color?

T for 3 likes this.
  13. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I won't be terribly surprised if there's a couple of voters who vote embid/LeBron/luka/giannis etc over jokic. Keep in mind media members from those markets (LA/PHI/MIL etc) will have votes.

Jokic is going to win the mvp in a landslide (deservedly). The only reason he won't be unanimous is team record and the knock on his defense in comparison to embid.

Mvp has historically been based on team success first and individual excellence a close second. Nearly all mvp winners have been either first or second in their conference with only a few exceptions. Jokic winning despite DEN being 4th or 5th will be a deserving exception (unlike wb imo).

#2153 blahblehblah, Apr 26, 2021
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Imagine if Steph and Westbrook were on the same team.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. HardenVolumeOne

it would be even more hell for curry. dubsnation is complaining about oubre and wiggins, and they are miles better shooters than russ

16. KingCheetah

They'd be fighting for the number one overall record in the league and 1 and 2 in the MVP race.

17. HardenVolumeOne

jokic isnt a media favorite.. his style of play is NOT attractive to viewers. curry complexion defintily helps him when he up for awards againist the lebrons and hardens. It would help curry in this case because he is more popular than jokic.. it would not help him if doncic was having the season jokic is right now. Doncic would still win

18. KingCheetah

His skin color is though -- so fleshy.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. WestendMassive

Clearly I'm not a typical viewer because I think Jokic is one of the most fun to watch players in the league. He does things nobody else does and makes you say holy **** several times a game.

JumpMan likes this.
  20. KingCheetah