1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can someone recommend me a Dentist and Orthodontist

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by redefined, Dec 18, 2006.

Tags:
  1. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I want to start off by saying I have no respect for anyone in this field (at least here in the US and I apologize in advance to any dentists reading this) because all they want is my money! :mad:

I went to the dentist today for the first time in over 10 years and the guy wanted to fill my "non-existent" cavities without notifying me of what he was about to do. He didn't even ask! I know I didn't have any cavities to begin with and when I told him to show me my x-rays he had a hard time proving anything. What an ass. They just want my money!!! :mad: I left the building cursing at the receptionist. This is the exact reason why I haven't gone in so long!!

The best part is I have pretty straight teeth and the guy had the guts to tell me that the way my teeth are crowding my jaw would become messed up soon so he told me to see this specified orthodontist. Now I am pretty sure when I see this guy he is also going to find a way to take my money :mad:

So can anyone recommend any honest, genuine, trustworthy ones in the Houston area so I can get a second opinion?

Thanks

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Send us a pic of your teeth...

I have the same feeling whenever I see a dentist and they recommend some drilling to fill some cavities. They did use this tool that instantly tells you how much cavities you have by touching the instrument against each teeth.

3. docgundy

docgundy Member

God, my dentist is my orthodontist. He is doggone awful, I only go there because my parents love his secretaries. It's taken him over 3 years to get my braces off, when I could have easily paid half the price and gotten them off in a matter of 2 years maximum. Yeah, they seriously do want money. And speaking of this subject, anyone have any good recommendations on where I should get my teeth whitened? I hear all about this Brite Smile and all that. I'm just looking for the cheapest place, because they're all pretty much the same.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

How do you know this?

Just because you think you have straight teeth doesnt mean there arent any problems associated with it. And if he wanted to "fix" your crowding for financial gain, he could have attempted something on his own...like invisalign...instead of referring you out to an orthodontist.

In any case, if you want to see a good dentist, go to Dr. Nazarian on Richmond and Hillcroft. You wont get a more thorough and fair inspection anywhere else.

5. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

I agree. I hate dentists and orthodontists too. I remember one time when I was young, I was at the orthodontists office getting my braces removed. The assistant was fairly new apparently and she didn't know how to take them off correctly. Luckily, most of the brackets came off easily, but one was stuck on pretty good. She started just yanking it back and forth, I thought my tooth was going to come out. I told her to stop, but she said it'll come out easily. It finally came out after a minute of yanking, but my tooth started bleeding. The orthodontist came over and said it was normal and that it should be done in a couple of hours. Well, it kept bleeding the entire day and night, and when I came back to see him the next day to get my retainers, I said it was still bleeding and that it was probably because the assistant was yanking my tooth for a damn long time. BUT he said, no no, it must be something you ate. Did you eat chips or anything hard? It must be something I ate, he said. I ate ****ing jello and drank water. I could hardly look into his eyes, cuz I knew he was trying to cover his own ass. I was so pissed. I didn't say anything cuz I couldn't do anything, I'm just a kid. He finally asked me to get an X-ray to see if there was any damage, which my family had to pay for even though it was his fault. Luckily, there is no lasting damage.

Another time, I went to my dentist to take out my wisdom tooth near the back of my mouth. He physically forced me to open my mouth wider than I could open normally, even though I said it hurt. Now I have TMJ. ****ing dentists. I hate ****ing dentists.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I just got my braces of recently and my orthodinst was an idiot. He kept telling me every appointment that I had too many cavities and crap and I needed to see a Dentist. I've never had 1 cavity in my life and i go to the dentist multiple times per year. One day I was sittin there and all of a sudden, without telling me, he starting digging into my gums. he cut out a small 2-3 by 2-3 millimeter square and I was bleeding all over the place and coughing up blood. He then said I sould thank him for doing that free of charge. I was pretty pissed off. I had some huge ass scars under my front teeth for about 6 months. After he had butcherd my mouth and I had told him to stop, his hand slipped and I got several cuts under my tounge. That said I havnt been back to that jackass since. I felt like i was in the move "the dentist" if anyone's ever seen that.
    My dentist however is a pretty good person. Dr. Moon on Fanin I think. Another one I have also been to, I'll have to get back to you on the location, does not use scrapers or any tools. They just use lasers to clear all plaque and tarter. I think the Dr's name is Flesh

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've was scammed by one dentist when I was a kid (he was so bad he lost his license) and i'm pretty sure I was scammed by another about ten years ago.

I'm a rabid anti-dentite.

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

9. Highwire

Highwire Member

Don't go to Dr Herbst. They'll suck up your insurance.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I went to a dentist once on a referral who told me I needed about $3,000 worth of work. Yeah...$3,000.

Before I turned over that kind of cash I went to the dentist my parents have been seeing. He looked at my teeth and said, "I can't begin to tell you what that dentist was even talking about. There's nothing to do here. We'll clean them for you...but there's no work necessary here."

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

a poster on here is a dentist...i forgot who.

12. redefined

Great stories. I feel a lot better knowing that I am not the only one with problems with dentists.

I'll give the Houston Cosmetic Dentistry a call. I also hear Apple Orthondontix in Dallas is a great family oriented place with reasonable prices. Josh Howard has been promoting them ever since he's come to town. I'll definitely give them a shot.

I like to use my common sense. I haven't gone to a dentist in 10 years. This is important because this means that these "cavities" would have occurred very recently, no more than a few months. There are no black spots in my mouth anywhere. Now if I had cavities for more than a year or so I would be able to see them with my eyes right now! Meaning I have been clean for about 9.7 years! Now this begs the question. I take care of my teeth pretty good. I floss, brush, and Listerine every day. I must've done something wrong because now all of a sudden I have 3 cavities that came out of nowhere within the past 2-3 months? No way!! What a coincidence!! :mad:

I know I have a little crowding and it might cause problems. And that's not to say that once I get braces and have them removed I won't have problems again! But I didn't need a dentist to point that out to me. Again, its common sense. And I'm pretty sure only certified dentists with the right equipment can give me invisaligns.

Do you have Nazarian's number? I cant find him on google.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

redefined, his number is (713)621-7777. Tell them that you want a 2nd opinion and if it turns out that you do have cavities, then you can go back to your old dentist and get that taken care of.

As far as cavities are concerned, you wont necessarily be able to see them unless you have the right lighting and they are on your anterior teeth. If they are on your molars, then you cant tell just by looking in the mirror.

In any case, you guys are right that you can get scammed at a dentist office. Im heading into the profession and Ive seen just about everything. But, there are some good ones out there. The only problem is that even when you do have problems with your mouth, the cost of getting it fixed is very high, so you're basically in a lose-lose position...and the dentist is in a win-win position. :D

14. redefined

Of course there are good ones around, but they are hard to come by. Everyone I've talked to has the same problems.

This guy is not too far from my house. If I do have cavities, then I'll just let him fill them.

Thanks

15. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dr. Pryzant in the Rice area is good. Works out of a house on Sunset. No unnecessary work. Nice lady. Unpretentious.

I was unhappy to learn with a previous dentist that there was an incentive to sell crowns, when other procedures would suffice.

16. docgundy

docgundy Member

Who are the cheapest dentists in town? Some of these guys clearly are out to get your money.

17. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

Dentist Terry Council Located by lakewood in northwest Houston is great

18. xcharged

xcharged Member

This guys good, and he's got a super hot staff.

Dr Mark K Hardy
    90 Wilson Rd
    Humble, TX 77338-3922
    (281) 446-7353

19. redefined

Thanks, but no way in hell I'm going all the way to Humble to visit a dentist...

This is what happens when you live in such a large city ;)

20. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

Dr. Guy M Lewis is the Official Cosmetic Dentist of the Houston Rockets, POWER DANCERS, and Houston Aeros. Maybe you get lucky and bump into one of them... get your teeth autographed man :D