1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can someone please explain this to me?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yobod, Jan 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I probably could have had a + point differential if I had started at pg today.
    Rafer is good at getting the team into its sets, but put earl watson in his place today and the +/- probably would have been even more positive. watson can get the ball up the floor, get his team into its sets, and hit open shots more consistently.
    the one thing rafer does that he gets the least credit for is his defense. today he got lost on the pick and roll, that's why earl watson got a few easy 18 footers, but in general he is a solid defender. he makes other pgs work hard to get the ball where they want it.

#21 arif1127, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  2. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

earl watson is a terrible shooter, probably as bad as Alston...don't kid yourself.

3. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you're right, he is a bad shooter, but the question is, does ayone shoot as many 18 foot bricks on 1 vs 4 anti-fastbreaks as alston does?
    what has happened to his floater recently, it hasn't gone down in the last 4 games or so. all i ask is consistency in finishing in the lane for rafer, his outside shooting can be as streaky as it is and it doesn't bother me, its the finishing his drives that needs to be consistent to make him truly effective offensively.

4. zazahan

zazahan Contributing Member

This is funny. I can't help laughing.
    So what is that (?) category? :D

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So can you explain to everyone why he took 17 shots? Thanks in advance.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

As a one game stat, +/- can't always be taken seriously as a reflector of a player's performance. But over 10, 20, 30+ games it begins to mean something.

7. mister pc

mister pc Member

+/- stat is absolutely worthless when trying to appraise an individual player. Think about it, Landry was the only guy with a negative rating. Thats because he is Yao's backup. Yao scored 30 pts and grabbed 17 boards. When you take Yao out of the game, the Rockets wont fare as well. Landry played well but thats not reflected in his +/- because he wasnt on the court with Big Yao like the other players. Same logic applies to Watson vs Alston. Watson doesnt have Yao or TMac on his team, if he did it would have been much easier to outscore the opponent.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

This blog post was referenced in TrueHoop today, about the Mav's use of the Harris-Terry backcourt.

http://mavs.beloblog.com/archives/2008/01/small_backcourt_produces_big_numbers.html

There's a strong indication that the Mavs follow the +/- stats to inform their substitution patterns. It appears that the Mavs look at certain player combination +/- figures to evaluate what works and what doesn't, and they adjust accordingly. This shouldn't be all that surprising; I hear coaches reference +/- frequently. Again, it's about how you use them.

#29 durvasa, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  10. caneks

caneks Rookie

+/- number is meaningless.

11. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

12 pts, 3 steals, 6 assists (1 turnover), +7, and a W.
    I'll take that kind of "bad" night.