1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can someone explain if/how Howard and Ariza play together on D

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scolalist, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

With some good analytics

2. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Thread title is off cause I'm baked

"If they complement each other"

3. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Pretty simple. Ariza is a perimeter defender. He slows down drives and contest threes. He pokes at the ball and basically does what Beverly does. With Ariza and Beverly on the outside, Howard only has to worry about the post.

4. TheRealJames

TheRealJames Member

Ariza

His key defense throughout the playoffs – in round one on Jimmy Butler and then D.J. Augustin, and then round two on Paul George (Ariza held George to 39% shooting in the series) – along with some sharpshooting catapulted the Wizards to nearly securing an Eastern Conference Finals berth.

- His playoff exp. on defense is solid

There has been numerous articles on the web about how underrated Ariza is and its cause of Voting.

You already know how good Howard is, just look at all the Defensive All -team he has made in the history. Beverly made 2nd team last year.

A quick EX:

Playing with the flu, Ariza went into Madison Square Garden on April 4 in a must-win regular season game and held Carmelo Anthony to 10 points on 5-for-14 shooting. He battled the flu earlier in the season in a home game vs. the Miami Heat, holding LeBron James mostly in check in a 17-point win.

^ That there is hardcore if you ask me.

This is a quick answer.

1 person likes this.
  5. clos4life

clos4life Member

For a moment I thought that was a CH innuendo title that was cut short.

6. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

So you're saying he gets the flu a lot. Great Morey, replacing Parsons with a flu-prone player.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

An important factor besides his abilities is that (like Beverley) he understands his role. He knows who the stars are on the squad and know what he must do to support them.

8. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Maybe being flu-prone is positive for two reasons....

#1 He plays through it

#2 It gives his defensive assignment a mental challenge by playing against someone with the flu and hoping they won't wake up sick the next morning ;)

9. seeingred

seeingred Member

He and Beverly shut down the feeder street while Howard blocks the highway with an upturned 18 wheeler.

#H-TownTrafficJam

10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

They're both good at not letting the other team score points.

11. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

It is lost on people, fans, media that 50% of the game is defense.

12. JD88

JD88 Member

How good is Ariza defensively?

And how good can Bev/Ariza/Howard be defensively on the court together?

Houston was #12?? In defensive rating last season. With another year to mature for Bev and the addition of Ariza could they have a top 5 defense if Harden decides he wants to play?

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think Ariza's defense is overrated. He's definitely good and played great last year. But he's naturally inclined to play defense like a young Ron Artest or Beverley. Ariza isn't dumb, but he's not known as film room guy like a Battier or Bowen.

If we don't get a solid defensive assistant to maximize Ariza's efforts I'd be worried about a dropoff under McHale. I think Parsons winds up improving quite a bit on defense for Carlisle.

We need perimeter defense badly. Ariza should help. It'll make Harden's life easier and give Dwight a break. I think we have a bigger problem on defense at the 4 than people talk about. The west is full of 4's that shred us and make things tougher on Dwight.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If Harden decides he likes playing defense, than this team will be a contender.

I think this year we will see a slow of pace by focusing more on Dwight in the post.

15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Seriously? That's what you gathered from that?

He is not a robot. People get the flu, especially those that travel a lot.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Dwight and Ariza will be like defensive generals out there. The problem we have again is no depth. Dwight and Ariza can't play 48 min and we have zero depth behind them. We also have no depth behind Bev and he gets hurt a lot and gets in foul trouble often.

Anyhow I think the better question is how will Harden and Ariza mesh defensively. Who knows how that will work out.

17. TheRealJames

TheRealJames Member

I was just giving example of how he can play defense even ill and when the team really needs it. Most people cant even get out of bed let alone play Sports.

He is great defensive minded player, he might not have all the scoring flash that parson did, but he can knock down some 3's, and He go off like 10 3's in game.

18. photojoe

photojoe Member

Beverley-Ariza-Howard is a pretty good foundation to build a defense around.

Harden gets ragged on about his defense a lot, and rightfully so, but there are a lot of bad defenders in the league. Look at Steph Curry. His defense isn't much better than Harden's. But GSW is able to hide Curry in defense on the other teams worst offensive player and then let Thompson and Iguodala guard the team's other perimeter players while Bogut patrols the paint.

Actually, now that I think about it, GSW should be a pretty good example of how our defense might be. They have two bad defenders in Curry and Lee, but with three other good defenders in Thompson, Iguodala and Bogut it makes them a good overall defensive team. Houston should be similar- two bad defenders in Harden and Jones (Jones is just undersized), but three good defenders with Beverley, Ariza and Howard, we should be a much better defensive team than last year...hopefully.

19. Juxtaposed Jolt

Nah, he's saying:

1) superstar SF comes into town
    2) infect Ariza with the flu
    3) ...
    4) profit!

Apparently Ariza's flu games = godly defense.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I think GSW is a pretty good comparison/projection. Here's hoping.