1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can someone clear this up for me?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cuddie, Jul 3, 2010.

1. cuddie

cuddie Member

It is to my understanding that free agents cannot be used in a package deal if you sign and trade them. Is it possible, then, to do two separate deals? One involving the FA you signed, and one involving other assets.

I'm curious because I've heard that Scola cannot be included in a package deal since he's a FA. Could we do two separate deals? For example, with Toronto could we trade Scola for an insignificant player and then picks/Battier/Ariza for Bosh?

2. Htownplaya94

Htownplaya94 Member

No, cuz he's still an FA.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Yes, it is possible to do parallel deals. It's true that Scola cannot be packaged, so it would be instead of a deal like "Bosh + player A for Scola and player B and C" it would be "Bosh for Player B and C" and the "Scola for player A".

4. Htownplaya94

Htownplaya94 Member

Huh??

5. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

substitute hedo as player A, and Batter, Jeffries as player B and C

hopefully we don't give up too much for bosh

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

This seems to give the best answer. A newly signed player can only be traded if it is a player for player trade. If there exists a package he cannot be traded.

7. cuddie

cuddie Member

Hrmm...it seems like there could be a loophole to exploit. It'd be two concurrent trades, so technically it isn't a package deal though I suppose the league might block those trades after review.

Could we do a 3-team trade? Scola to Toronto, Bosh to Houston, other assets to 3rd team and their assets to Toronto. Would that be considered a package deal?

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Remember, if it smells fishy the league offices can always veto the trade. Plus, the only reason we would do a Scola trade to Toronto is to make the contracts work. I divert to BimaThug on this one, but to the best of my knowledge, the only way Scola for Bosh could go down is if they BOTH agreed to a S&T. A three team trade seems like it might be doable, but the terms of the trade need to be discussed. As long as Houston ships out Scola and only receives one player back, I think its Kosher, but I'm not sure.

9. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

[​IMG]

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Give the guy some credit, the concept of parallel trades is kinda strange. If I'm an average NBA fan how can I tell the difference between two small trades between two teams, or one massive trade between two teams. Yes, parallel trades do happen, but they can be confusing.

The quoted article describes the New Jersey/Orlando trade(s). It was technically two separate trades.

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Read that passage again. The "can't be put in a package" is only for players who are recently traded. So you can't trade for a player then flip him in another package deal.

There are no rules that preclude you from packaging a player in a sign and trade. But the important thing to note is that the player has to agree to the sign and trade. So Scola has to agree to be dealt in a snt.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Or "claiming him off waivers", which means he was newly signed. I agree with you, sign and trade players can be packaged, thats why I said the only way a Scola for Bosh trade happens if they BOTH are sign and trade.

13. m_cable

"Claiming off waivers" are for players who were recently released, not recently signed. Like I said, the passage that you highlighted does not refer to this situation.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Haha thats why I hate this salary cap stuff, I'm not a lawyer so the lingo confuses me a bit.

15. cuddie

cuddie Member

So then, the whole "we can't trade Scola in a package deal" floating around the forums is just a big misconception? As long as both players agree to a sign-and-trade, package deals are a go?

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

I'm an idiot, right underneath the part I highlighted has the answer:

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

So to sum up my original point, no, Scola cannot be traded after being newly signed. He is a free agent, be it a restricted free agent, so if Houston matches a deal or straightforwardly resigns him they have to wait until December 15th to trade him (obviously barring sign and trade conditions). Scola can be packaged in trade only if he agrees to S&T.

This shows why so few S&T's happen, its a complicated convoluted process. Heck, look at last year with the Artest/Ariza swap if you want a point of reference.

18. m_cable

Right, as far as I can tell, I can't find anything in the CBA faq to back that up. Seems like people got mixed up between the sign and trade rules with the "can't flip a recently traded player in a package" rule.

19. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Hey guys off topic but I have a question about restricted free agents.

If a restricted free agent gets an offer from another team, and his old team matches it, does he have to automatically go with his old team? or can he still sign with the other team that made the offer? :confused:

--RB

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

EDIT: Never mind. :p