1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Scola/Hill become a Championship Power Forward Combo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Apr 2, 2010.

?

Championship Combo?

1. Yes

183 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. eman

eman Contributing Member

Luis Scola's motor just amazes me. I wonder how many miles he sprinted tonight?

2. conquistador#11

Hill should play and train at fonde during the summer, hearing the echoes of the great warriors from past generations. Loved the block he had the final minutes today.

3. illteacher

illteacher Member

Are we talking about the same Scola?

4. Rocket94-95

Rocket94-95 Member

scola played basically the entire game + overtime and steal did not show signs of fatigue what a work horse

5. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

Nope. They will be on the same roster but different positions.

Brooks/lowry
    Martin/????
    Ariza/battier
    scola/???
    Yao/hill

I'm hoping the ??? Is

Sg: mike miller or Manu Ginobli

and pf. Bosh or Amare.

:) just hoping.

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Robert Horry has how many championships?
    Miami Heat had Udonis Haslem starting with Antoine Walker off the bench.
    Tim Duncan, okay. But the PF/C tandem was him and Fabricio Oberto/Francisco Elson/Rasho Nesterovic. A Yao/Scola tandem doesnt look too bad in comparison. (to think they could have Duncan/Scola?)
    Depends on if Hill can turn himself into a Udonis Haslem type.

People turned off by Scola and Yao's age, in the Rockets first title season Hakeem and Otis Thorpe turned 31 and 32 during the year.

It depends on what positions are leading the team. They're about at a 7.5 overall because of Hill's inexperience. Its enough but can be upgraded. Upgrade other positions and they can be alright.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't understand what it means to be a "championship [position]". Any player who isn't awful can potentially be a starter on a championship team. It just depends on who the other players are.

8. Rocket94-95

Rocket94-95 Member

for example trevor ariza was on a team's starting lineup that won championship last year and he is not a great player

9. DUHK

DUHK Member

I know people want to get a center to back up Yao next season from the draft, but I still think we're unsure how many seasons we can ride Yao for and so I think having someone experienced would help the Rockets contend for a championship next season. We have most of the pieces lined up with Yao coming back.

10. RyanB

RyanB Member

Hill does what both Scola and Yao do not:
    Defense, block shots, athleticicsm
    i do believe with this Trio playing and improving together we can be a champ

11. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Scola's conditioning is just amazing. Dude is more than a workhorse. Scola should get a nice contract extension to retire as a Rocket.

ps. Spurs entire management team faints....

12. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

"Championship combo" is relative as all hell. They're sure as hell not stopping a title from coming if you surround them with the Dream Team. They clearly don't make us contenders on their own or we'd be there.

I think the PF spot COULD be improved, but it's probably less of a priority now than a scoring 3 and a backup 5.

13. RocketGirl6

RocketGirl6 Member

Scola's age doesn't bother me, he's about to be 30, but he plays alot younger. My issue with Yao is can he stay healthy for a season.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The potential is there - but Scola will struggle against more athletic teams.

The real issue isn't the PF position as much as the SF position.

Battier/Ariza would work if you pair them with a SG like T-mac (when healthy) but not with Martin. There's too much pressure on Brooks to be the playmaker. We need more guys who can create shots...for others.

15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Hill REALLY needs to work on his hands. To often in games you will see him almost get rebounds or knock balls out of bounds. You might be able to chalk it up to lack of experience, but he will never be a very good PF or C until he works on that. Which is why Scola is necessary, besides the fact that taking a look at Hill's offensive performances, you can easily see where Scola has been giving him instruction. They will make a fine combo if Hill develops into a spark off the bench like Landry did.

1 person likes this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Rep for you. I'm surprised that Hill hasn't been able to hold on to some really easy ones. I don't think he has Cato like hands,but you're right on the ball.

17. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You don't watch the Rockets do you? Yao alters a ton of shots and blocks 2 shots a game. Yao doesn't provide shotblocking? Last year, he was 7th in the league over other shotblockers like Duncan, Kirilenko, Dalembert, Okafor, etc.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3599/career;_ylt=ArYeBfhjm2tPrXlWGV1sTHCsPKB4
    Yao
    2008-09 2 bl
    2007-08 2 bl
    2006-07 2 bl

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Hill needs to add some muscle and nastiness this offseason. I highly doubt he'll ever develop into the offensive player Landry was (especially this year), but if he's able to offset his inferior offensive game by utilizing his size, long arms, athleticism and potential to be a lockdown post defender that Landry never was we could definitely be looking at an awesome one-two punch.

Overall, the defense part is an absolute necessity if he's going to have a future with this team. Defense isn't exactly Scola's forte (nor Andersen) so having a tough post defender that can get physical and block a couple shots on the weakside is something we really don't have at the moment.

19. Tiger23

Tiger23 Member

knee-jerk typical fair weather fashion

remember everyone were in a franzy after a hot streak by Scola? and then he came back down to earth like I proclaimed.. everyone are always a prisoner of the moment :rolleyes:

Scola's great but we need a superstar PF that can play above the rim, Hill will be a PF/C spelling Yao next year

STOP THE KNEE-JERK REACTIONS DAM

20. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Knee Jerk YES but I have been saying a Scola/Hill combo can be good enough to contend in the West for WEEKS if we can upgrade another position within the team, sign a nice MLE, LLE and possibly move up in the Lotto.