1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Scola be a Solid 2nd Option?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jboslett, Feb 26, 2008.

1. jboslett

jboslett Member

With the loss of Yao for the season, it's obvious that we're going to need to look elsewhere for 20+ points a night and Scola, in my opinion, is our next best option after Tmac. Who else thinks that Scola could be a Carlos Boozer type offensive player if given the ball on the block? I mean, when he gets the ball
    1 on 1 he has been tough to stop all year. Very solid post moves, very good around the basket, very good shooter out to 18 feet, and deceptive quickness on the block make him a legitimate go to guy during the course of a game.

Furthermore, I realize that there is no defined "2nd scorer" position on a team. All I'm saying is that I think that it would be effective to use Scola in the same way that we use Yao, on the block. Thoughts?

2. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Yes. The best option, in fact.

3. fleshbody

fleshbody Member

I hope so, Scola is just as the same star in Arg NT as YAO in CNT, he has the ability to be and he has alread showed us some, let's hope he and ladry step up big time!

If, if we really win something, i believe YAO would be happy for his fellows even if he is not one of them.

4. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Of course, Scola is a star.

I can't believe we got him for Vspan and a second round draft pick

5. code_red

code_red Member

His jumpshot isn't as good as Boozer. Unfortunately, Scola's effectiveness diminishes outside of 10 ft from the basket (as does Yao). The difference is, Yao is a much stronger player in the paint than Scola.

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

I can't believe it either, that was a great trade.

I think Scola with Landry backing him up will be good enough to get us into the playoffs even without Yao.

Playoffs, well, you never know then. We'll see, look at GS last year. Anything can happen.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Just seems to me he still doesn't have good chemistry with TMac, and sometimes doesn't know where to go on offense when he doesn't have the ball.

8. poprocks

poprocks Member

I think we can make up for Yao's offense with Landry and Scola. We can get Yao's defensive capabilities with Deke in the middle. Rebounding I think we are still essentially the same.