1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Parsons be given a raise next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Dei

Dei Member

Obviously, his play deserves it. He's playing like a top-10 pick, at least, but his contract's on a team option for barely a mil for the next two seasons. From Hoopshype:

Chandler Parsons $888,250 $926,500 $964,750

If I were him, I'd be pretty upset if the team picked up the option. It's business and it's in the contract but the performance out of that contract would be far, far from anything fair.

He's already 24. He doesn't have the window most guys who went into the league early have of getting another contract before they hit their primes. I honestly wouldn't mind eating into the cap space to give him a raise.

2. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Boozer said hi.

1 person likes this.
  3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

4. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

I understand the respect aspect of giving him more, but the longer we have him for super cheap, the better.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sorry, Mrs. Parsons, your son signed the damn contract and have to live with it. He is a big boy now and must wear big boy pants whether you need the money to support your meth habit or not.

You think Kobe was upset when the Lakers picked up the 3rd and 4th yr rookie scale team options instead of giving him a raise that he "deserves"?

***** please.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This is all you really need to know. It is, as you said, in his contract, and it is perfectly within the Rockets right to do this. Can they give him a raise and renegotiate his contract? Sure. But will they? I'd be surprised. Parsons is a great player, and he'll be in line for a big pay day when his contract is done, but he has to honor this first contract before he can sign his second one. The Rockets gave him more money to begin with than most second rounders receive as well.

7. lookabove

lookabove Contributing Member

Can you provide any precedent when team wouldn't pickup his option and resign him as FA?

8. Dei

Dei Member

I just don't want the risk it'd be hanging over his head. His production deserves it anyway.

@Carl Kobe came into the league straight outta HS. Like I said, Chandler doesn't have that window.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Who is the stupid b**** that told him to go to college?

1 person likes this.
  10. Dei

Dei Member

Wash your mouth.

11. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

MUST BE TOUGH TO ONLY MAKE 900k A YEAR.

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

needs more dynex televisions

13. Dei

Dei Member

Relative to his peers, yes. An athlete has, on average, like only decade to make that money.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure you're more worried about this than Parsons.

$500k a year to play ball??

Hmm that's a tough one.

[​IMG]

15. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

Parsons has been garbage all year long.

16. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Shouldn't have signed the contract if he thought he was worth more. The Knicks didn't get to stop paying Eddy Curry just because he sucked.

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Man there's so much fail in this thread.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Can Royce White get a paycut? I'm losing sleep worrying about these significant changes in my life.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Im under the impression that if the Rockets DID NOT pick up Parson's options for the next two years, he will become an unrestricted free agent as early as next year. Plus they do not even have an early qualifying offer on the table to allow themselves the ability to match offers.

This is exactly what the Rockets DO NOT want. If the Rockets somehow didn't pick up his option, he is free to sign with ANY TEAM he wants to for however much he wants. So would you rather have two years more with Chandler Parsons after this year, and then try to sign him in free agency, or would you rather risk losing him after this season like the Knicks lost Lin, and the Bulls lost Asik from teams like Houston that pouched their players in free agency???

Any team would just extend him out until they absolutely have to come to the negotiation table. If the Rockets did not pick up his option this year, its his agents job to start looking for the best possible deal out there on the market to compete with Houston's offer... not a smart move. Some crazy team like the Kings could up and offer him way too much money(structure with... cough, cough a poison pill) and put the Rockets in a bad position to overpay in a certain year of the deal.

More than likely, Chandler is well informed about this business side of the game, and isn't taking it personally. Im sure that his agent, and the Rockets staff have hinted that when his contract is up, they are going to give him his due, and he will be a rich man unless he gets injured or majorly declines, but they cant risk losing him now.

If the Rockets pick up his options, he is not as limited in the amount he can receive in free agency (see Lin and Asik), so there is that little wrinkle there that could actually work in his favor. He can actually earn MORE in his second contract for more years by playing more with more years guaranteed than if his option was not picked up after less than 2 years on his rookie scale contract.

1 person likes this.
  20. OremLK

OremLK Member

He's making nearly a million a year. The guy can live comfortably with plenty to spare.

He'll get his chance. I bet he makes $10M+ a year on his RFA contract.