1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Can of Worms Opened] Spring I.S.D.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

What kind of student is dumb enough to believe, that if you fail a class and you try on your next one we will give you 2 passing grades?

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Just read this article to my seniors here in the RGV who are working on their University analysis research paper. They are shocked and some are pretty upset that this can happen.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We were all young and dumb. Taste buds evolve...that's for damn sure.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Hmmm. You're right. Oh well, at least it's near Spring.

#24 Haymitch, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

From what I remember about this story from the news....

No student has really been screwed by this. There are students who have already graduated who have gotten away with academic dishonesty sponsored by school administrators, similar to the Chicago Little League Baseball scandal.

I don't think it's unjust to require those who were getting credits they did not deserve to take an extra course their final semester. My final year of high school I had multiple off periods and didn't do much work--some of these students surely are filling their off time with a class. I got around many course requirements in high school and undergraduate thanks to being friends with advisors who disagreed with the standards and knew how to work around them. These kids will get credit for another joke course to replace their forged credits--the teachers aren't going to demand much of them in such a situation, knowing they need the course to graduate.

Maybe I'm being insensitive (someone will think so) but I doubt much of a burden is being placed on these students besides missing the first few weeks of a semester. The story does say a lot about the administrators at this school and how easy it is to get by with not meeting curriculum standards.

6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I wasted an entire year bc of an academic advisor. She had created a 2 year plan for me to graduate from college. I followed it perfectly yet fell one class short.

I didn't plan to walk (weird I know) so I didn't know that I was short until summer was nearly over when I noticed that I didn't get my diploma in the mail. The appeal process dragged out and eventually was denied so I couldn't take the course until the spring semester. The one class cost me like $5,000. Gotta love private school.

Moral of the story.. always get your "plan" signed off by the degree's office.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think the reason it kept on is essentially the complicity of the students involved. Everything was fine as far as the student was concerned when he was getting credit for performance he didn't muster. It only became a problem when the music stopped and they were caught without a chair. The students who have to scramble now because their implicit deal with the school was voided are hurt a little. But, the victims are students in prior years in other districts that played it straight that were actually beat out for college acceptances by past classes from Spring with credits they didn't earn.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think you both should probably stop frequenting these awful places you know so much about.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I probably eat healthier than you do.:rolleyes:

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Based off your expansive knowledge of the Cheddar's menu, it's probably because you were one potato skin away from a widowmaker!

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The guidance counselors slacked off and screwed up. A lot of times an individual student's easiest strategy for success in large public schools is to just follow the direction of authority figures (show up and shut up) and put in an honest effort on the school work after class. These counselors or administrators are the backstop against the logistical and strategic shortcomings of otherwise well-intended kids. The whole advisory and counseling function should have a lot more personnel and separate faculty oversight.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What kind of administrator is dumb enough to tell a student that? A whole helluva lot in Spring ISD, apparently.

If Draper were still in charge, I'm sure he would quickly organize a team for a fact-finding trip to Bermuda....

13. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Even though I grew up in that area and I'm a graduate of Spring High School, this discussion is the most interesting part of this thread, in my opinion. I live out of state now, but whenever I come back home and drive by there, I am floored that the Cheddar's parking lot is ALWAYS packed, even at the most random times.

I've been to a Cheddar's on a couple of occasions, and I also seem to remember that it is among the cheapest of the chain restaurants in that class (Chili's, Applebee's, etc.). That's about all I can figure, though, because nothing else about it sticks outs.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's like the Pinkberry of the suburbs or something.