1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

can Melo gaurd LMA and Blake? players that really killed us last year?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Madclownpacasum, Jun 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. micah1j

micah1j Member

Melo didn't have to guard Z-Bo in the 4th as Memphis went small to match New York and took Gasol out.

If the Rockets go Howard/Melo/Parsons/Harden/PG then likely the other team during stretches will take out their 5 (like Portland, LA Clippers) and use their 4 to guard Howard and bring in another wing to guard Melo or Parsons.

1 person likes this.
  2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Remind me the last time Terrence Jones forced an opponent to take out their All-Star/DPOY in the 4th quarter because of matchup issues.

3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Im replying on your post so everyone can see the comparisons...

I looked up how LMA and BG played against us last year in Reg season:

LMA:
    28/12
    27/20
    31/25
    21/5

BG:
    7/1 (he only played 6 min, IIRC he got injured)
    23/16
    22/7
    18/7

To Beat a dead horse on the upgrade to both parties if melo came to houston, these are the stats these 2 PF's did against the rockets.. THE WHOLE TEAM, i dont care who guarded them, if melo (by simply being on the court since some ppl want to point out he wasnt the one guarding them) can make the KNICKS hold these guys to less then imagine what he can do on the rockets.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

yeah cause 36 percent was really destroying Memphis... it actually was Hardaway that was causing the issues. rolls eyes

5. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Excellent point agree 100%

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

So you blame the team when they lose and not Melo, but when the team does decent against a certain player you praise Melo and not the team?

7. Goat Herders

Goat Herders Member

I simply love this board. Hair splitting over whether or not adding a top-10 player is a good move. Dip me in **** and call me a Snickers bar. You know what happens if we add Carmelo? The top thread on the Blazers board will be "Oh no...the Rockets just added Carmelo." The top thread here will be some doofus arguing the the Melo signing was bad because it will impact Garcia's minutes.

GB you Clutch fans. Bless you all.

1 person likes this.
  8. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Yeah we can make adjustments AFTER we get him. He would improve us in any capacity, whether he plays the 3 or the 4.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

the argument is not if he would make us better... the argument is these guys seem to think Melo is a good defender against 4s because he stands on the same court as them.

10. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Can either guard Melo on the other end?

It's a mismatch on both sides.

11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

How about this.

WIN OR LOSE, Melo rocked it offensively against the blazers and clippers which the rockets would benefit in. But you are the one who brought up the fact that they lost all those games, that is why I brought up that he is on the KNICKS and he cant do it all.

On the other side, LMA and BG played MUCH better against the rockets/TJones/whoever than they did against the Knicks who are a worse team. Therefore, either accept that Melo (who happens to play the same position as LMA and Bg) had a hand in doing better against them than us. OR show me who on the knicks IS RESPONSIBLE for them holding off LMA and BG and by all means lets go for them.

On a side note, there is an emotji for *rolls eyes... :rolleyes:

12. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Can they guard him? They'd have to.

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

debatable... i would argue he was complete trash against both of those teams but a high PPG seems to get you going so i'll let it go

Easy! Tyson Chandler, former DPOY

I know but he didn't deserve it

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

I think most could deal with that if Harden and Howard are still able to put up double doubles numbers .

15. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Defensive rim/paint protector is what kept LMA and BG at bay? Man where do we get a top 5 one of those? Man what if we had two?

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

if you watch the tape which nobody here seems to do than yes! you would see Chandler guarding them most of the time and Melo guarding them none of the time.

Dwight and Asik did not play terrible against LMA in the playoff series, he was just draining everything, If thats what you are referring to.

17. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

Harden AND Melo on the same team? LMAO. Teams would feast on that.

18. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I guess than no one guards DJ or Lopez then? I think you're actually making the point others are arguing here. When D12 and Asik are on the floor Asik can defend LMA and BG well enough BUT we give up so much on the offensive end in order to do that. Jones gets owned out there against those guys. Melo + defensive minded center >>>>> jones + defensive minded center on offense and defense.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Again, tell me of instances when teams have been forced to take out a star level player in order to matchup with Terrence Jones.

20. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Replace T. Jones with Melo and the Rockets beat the Blazers in five games or less.

That's all I need to know about his defense.