1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

can Melo gaurd LMA and Blake? players that really killed us last year?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Madclownpacasum, Jun 19, 2014.

Tags:
  1. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

He can...with max effort.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

How many guys in the NBA can "guard" LMA and Blake? Then ask yourself would Melo be much (if any) worse. Lastly, neither guy has the slightest chance of stopping Melo. He would shred them at will.

Melo could defend both guys better than T-Jones or D-Mo and would be a quantum leap improvement on offense.

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

Melo would make him work on both ends of the court.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

and they can say the same about him... they would wear him out more than he would wear them out, Melo isn't exactly known for his movement so its not like they would be chasing him around.

5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Didnt you see the stats for the 4 games against them (as I think that is a direct look at how he would do against them literally) He nearly doubled their pts in 3 of the 4 games, and he had about the same amount of rebounds in all games except for the one he got outscored (by 8 pts) where he nearly TRIPLED the rebounds..

yea, it really sounds like they wore him out more than he did them.

6. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Can we find a way to get chuck Hayes. Aka the Blake stopper

7. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

So Parsons and Lins Cap Hits couldnt be traded for Melo?

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

the 4 games in which his team lost every time? I remember there were 2 games against the Clippers, in which he shot 9 of 23 and 4 of 23 which is crap. Then there were the Portland games in which he had to shoot 52 shots in order to score 62 points which isn't good.

not to mention he was never even matched up against Griffin or LMA so he was doing all that against Wesley Matthews, Dorrel Wright, Jared Dudley oh yeah and J.J. Reddick so stop just looking at the box score.

watch these vids and tell me if you see him matched up against either of them even once, other than switches of course
    [youtube]UAiVlbHCV2E[/youtube]
    [youtube]-88i1jNdc1U[/youtube]

9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

10. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Good point, however, I dont think the fact that his team lost every time should be an argument.. The knicks are terrible, we would be a much better team. Also, they cant be switching around like that when they have to worry about harden and howard. You are comparing a melo on the knicks to what a melo on the rockets could be and they just wouldnt be the same.

Furthermore, matching up or not, hes getting rebounds and those are important, defense is more important, but having somebody to help dwight refuse second chance opportunities is pretty awesome.

I see what you are saying, its more than just box score. But its also more than just melo. I believe we could improve him (through better teammates and support) just as much as he could improve us.

11. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Just to see, I checked how he did vs. 2 other elite PF in Milsap and Randolph and he had similar results.

3 games vs. Milsap:
    Melo 25/4 and Milsap 6/6 on 11/13/13
    Melo 23/12 and Milsap 14/13 on 11/16/13
    Melo 35/6 and Milsap 18/8 on 12/14/13

2 games Vs. Randolph
    Melo 30/4 Randolph 25/15 on 12/21/13
    Melo 22/11 and Randolph 13/8 on 2/18/2014

So in 9 games against LMA, Blake, Milsap and Randolph he has given up
    over 20 points only twice and outscored each of them in every single game except one (Blake). I think thats a decent indication he can hang with them. I also think there is something to be said for the "make them work guarding him" opinion.

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Sorry, not sure what happened on that first post.

13. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

No, they couldnt.

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

did you care to check if he actually guarded either of them?

15. photojoe

photojoe Member

No. Lin and Asik's both have a cap hit for 8.3mil each. If we traded both of them, that would free up a little bit under 17mil in cap space.

Parsons' current salary is only a little bit under a million. If we signed Parsons to a more expensive salary and then traded him, we would have Asik's 8 million cap hit on our books for one more season which would put us over the cap.

16. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Can LaMarcus or Blake guard Carmelo? I'd wonder how they'd stay on the floor with Anthony making them look silly on the perimeter.

17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Just curious, if he didnt guard them, 2 things:

1. At least we know, from looking at box score or whatever, that none of those teams have anyone to stop him. From scoring or rebounding whether it be their all-star PF or not, which makes him good for us.

2. I repeat, he's playing with the KNICKS. If he isnt guarding them, who on the knicks are guarding them, holding them under 20 pts and not too many rebounds? And do you really think that these knicks support players are doing a better job than who we have? (Howard, parsons, harden, Bev)

Im just saying, while these stats may not be perfect reflection of what melo can do, by coming here both he and us would be upgrading.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

If you think you're correct, why don't you go check and prove him wrong? I really dislike fans who make up stuff hypothesis with no basis and then won't even bother to do the legwork to prove their hypothesis correct. Instead just acting like others have to be wrong.

Here, I'll even help you out by giving you a freebie. You can go look up the rest yourself.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201402180MEM.html

1 person likes this.
  19. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

I understand stats arent the 100% complete picture but they can be somewhat helpful. Houstonstime put it better than I could in his post about
    Melo being a big upgrade.

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

please tell me when you see them matched up... don't worry i'll wait.

[youtube]zIQz7gf9kbY[/youtube]