1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Joe Be a Better Small Ball 4 than Melo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Feb 10, 2018.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Nice find! This is exactly what I was alluding to and maybe what coach envisions by adding Joe to the lineup. Although Ariza, Luc, PJ, and Anderson are all threats from the 3 point line to varying degrees, none of them are really threats to score consistently if they are closed out and forced to put the ball on the floor. If they do make any moves towards the basket, we get pretty excited when they do manage to score because it doesn't happen very often. Even more rare in occurrence is them being able to put the ball on the floor and have the passing ability and court vision to be able to create a shot attempt for a teammate. Joe Johnson can not only be a deadly spot up shooter, but he can also attack a closeout with his dribble to create a shot for himself or find an open teammate. That is an added dimension that we do NOT presently have from either the small forward or power forward positions. I think this is very exciting. Just consider the possibilities.

Melo would have been adept at attacking off the dribble on the closeout and would've been a huge threat to score, but Melo is not known for his passing, court vision, and basketball IQ. Joe could potentially provide us with a huge wrinkle offensively when things slow down in the playoffs, each possession is critical, and efficient half court offense becomes even more of a premium. We saw how Ryan Anderson was often neutralized at the 3 point line and how his inability to be more than a one trick pony hurt us at times. As an added bonus, Joe can also post up effectively and punish other guards that are switched on to him or find guys if he is doubled. Heck he even posts up guys bigger than him. Mark me as being disappointed if we don't see somewhat of a resurgence from him when he gets here and is able to operate in this offense while playing with Chris Paul and James Harden. He has a skillset at his position that can unlock another part of this offense that we haven't seen.

And as a bonus, he can grab the rebound and advance the ball up the court at times. He probably won't do this much because we have 2 hall of fame point guards who should have the ball, but the thing is, he can do it if we need him to. I wouldn't mind him getting the ball to Harden or CP3 spotted up at the 3 point line early in the offense.

#41 vator, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Deuce and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. cebu

cebu Member

JOe is better team player than Melo

Cstyle42 likes this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

In the LockedOnRockets podcast discussion of Joe Johnson they specifically talked about Johnson not being a ball-handler, and not being a good rebounder. One thing I'm sure of is that Joe is NOT a tempo-pusher. You just said a guy known as 'ISO Joe' could 'ignite the fast break'. A little farfetched, IMO.

We're getting a huge variety of opinions here. I'm going to stay calm until I can see it with my own eyes.

4. vator

When I say ignite the break, I more or less mean he grabs the rebound and instead of CP3 or James always hanging around for the ball in the backcourt, they would have the option of sprinting up the floor and he passes it ahead to them which would get us into earlier offensive sets. He isn't going to take it himself and go coast to coast or anything like that.

I listened to the pod. I recall him saying that he wasn't a good rebounder or a strong defender. I don't recall him saying that he couldn't handle the ball any longer. Maybe I missed it. The videos I've watched of him playing this year seem to indicate that although he is slower than he used to be, that he is still capable of putting the ball on the floor in certain situations like closeouts and taking a few dribbles up the floor before passing it to someone else. Certainly much more of a threat to do any of those things than any of the other forwards on the team at present.

5. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Joe Johnson will be our 1996-97 version of Eddie Johnson

JamalP. likes this.
  6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Placing aside the variables that make this somewhat of a flawed question (salary disparity, age difference), I'd say its entirely possible.

We have a $20M player that was unplayable at times in the postseason last year. Why? Because he's such a one-trick-pony. JJ's diverse skillset and versatility as a two-way player already safeguards us against that happening again. If Ryno pulls another Houdini act, we can easily replace him with a guy that not only knows how to play the standard 3&D role, but is also the best one-on-one scorer on the team outside of James, Gordon and CP3. Add to that his team-first attitude and ability to initiate the offense, you have a player that brings a lot to the table. Even if his shot isn't falling, JJ will contribute in other areas. His stat-lines won't "wow" you but whenever we make a clutch shot because of an extra pass or JJ, through experience and instincts alone, helps force a key TO late in the game, you'll "get it".

With Melo, it's mostly just hit-or-miss offense. 17 PPG on 15.5 shots. Really only rebounds if the ball bounces right to him or passes as a last resort. I'd still take him over Ryno in the hypothetical swap, but even if MDA was able to contain his questionable shot selection, I think we're still talking about a player who's contributions on this team would be limited to hit-or-miss offense.

vator likes this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Have we signed both of them? You know somewhere and somehow the Spurs and Warriors are trying to derail this. Let's get it done!

9. vator

Just curious as to why you feel Melo would be a superior fit here in Houston. Please elaborate.

10. mockster

mockster Member

No offense but people treating joe Johnson like the second coming of Christ is a bit annoying. Obviously I hope he can tap into his inner star and produce of the bench if he plays at all

But no I think melo is better ATM, but maybe he isn't a good fit for us anyway

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Awesome stuff bro

12. mockster

mockster Member

Dude I'm the biggest joe Johnson fan and advocated for him even before this year

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Bro I think Joe Chee is around 7'3 in shoes. I might be wrong though considering his age he might grow even taller.

14. brosef

brosef Member

I think D’Antoni would have found a better way to integrate melo into the offense than Okc has.

JJ will be good here though even with the lack of minutes. Green will be our spark off the bench for now but JJ will get the minutes come playoff time.

15. hakeemthagreat

Why wouldn't he see pt? If Ryno goes missing we lose that outside scoring threat as a stretch PF. Joe can hit open 3's with his eyes closed

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Look at all you late-comer Joe Johnson fans. My Houston Rockets for Joe Johnson in NBA 2k6.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Because he's still a much better player than Joe Johnson...

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

So is he really gonna play some 4 for us?

It kinda feels like we are chalk full of 3's between Ariza, Green, and Tucker.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

#positionless

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member