1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Derrick Favors become the answer at backup center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Lachard Binkley, Oct 1, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Everyone can't be 20 yr old.

I mean I don't mind 30 yr old 3rd stringers because it's tougher to see youngins with potential souring on the bench.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I have a feeling that Favors won't be on the team very long. They aren't in a hurry to win games with veterans. And Favors is a good trade asset.

Fernando has up side. The FO gave him a long term contract that seems to indicate they see the potential of having him in a rotation spot. He played well last night. He's a lob threat big man that this team needs one. He has a good sense in when to dive.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Favors still has enough in his tank to be content with a 3rd string role. But we'll see.

daywalker02 and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'd be fine with trading him but Silas loves his vets. Especially those with leadership traits to back up their production.

And everyone who believes Bruno is better than Favors must not have watched Favors play. He is a very savvy vet with similar but more proven skills as Bruno. Favors is also still near elite defensively.

But I would love to hit on Fernando, who is younger version of Favors, high energy and great attitude. If Fernando can be a bigger Montrezl Harrell w/defense then Garuba really becomes expendable.

Easy and Joe Joe like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I still don't know what to make of Bruno. I expect Garuba will be kept around and will have his option for next year picked up. I'm expecting one of Boban or Favors to be traded or cut soon.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think Silas will likely play Favors over Bruno if Favors is on the team. So it's up to Stone to decide what to do with the logjam of the bigs.

daywalker02 and D-rock like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bruno Fernando reprising his bench role could post resembling numbers to those of journey man Favors the last two years.

Bruno is 24 and 7 years younger.

I wouldn't be surprised if Favors is traded after half a year.

D-rock and Easy like this.
  8. JW86

JW86 Member

Please trade soon, please trade, please trade soon!!

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If Eason is close to 6'9 why not play him spare minutes, tons of creative ways to deal with it.

I do not get the signing of Cauley Stein at all.

Easy and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not for 60 days.

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Favors has value, whether its backing up Sengun or as part of a package with Gordon. He was easily the best player in that 8-man trade and someone that can add value wherever he plays. At 31, he's still got some game in his tank and would probably be a good guy for Alpi to match up with in practice everyday.

I believe this deal was made to setup a future trade package, but if he can't be dealt for 60-days that could mean EGo is going to be with us for awhile.

12. Garner

Garner Member

I'm glad Favors is here.

Favors is a painfully mediocre center, but he's an actual center. gives me poor man Dalembert feels. Houston's young guys need to play within the framework of a real team, with all five positions at its disposal, and Favors helps provide that. Favors isn't going to add any wins, but he will provide the opportunity for Green, Jabari, Sengun, and Eason to play on a something that looks like a NBA team.

Nobody would suggest our young core playing without a PG would be good for their development; so why is a center any different?

13. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I didn't know he was still in the NBA to be honest. Figured he would be overseas by now.

14. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I could see Favors getting moved after a team suffers an injury to their center or backup C. Not uncommon for big men to get injured in the first few weeks of the season.