1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Cam?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by YaoMing#1, Sep 18, 2012.

?

Can Cam Newton become the best football player ever?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    92.5%
  1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Last season Cam Newton had the best statistical season a rookie quarterback has ever had. He also led the panthers to 6 wins And have there fan base hope and also excitement of having one of the NFLs biggest stars playing for there team.

His rookie season stats

Pass attempt 517

Pass completion 310

Pass % 60.0

Yards PTA 7.8

Yards 4051

Pass td 21

Int 17

QBR 84.5

Very impressive numbers for any starting quarterback and when you factor in that it's was his first season it makes them that more special. Now what made his rookie campaign historical and all time legendary was his running ability.

Rush yards 706

Rush td 14

Total td pass/rush 35

Total yards pass/rush 4757

Standing 6-5 245 Cam Newton is built like a top tier linebacker yet runs with the authority of a fullback with top end speed of a receiver. The things he can do with the football have never been seen before. Sure mike Vick ran for 1000 yards and Steve McNair could scramble for the extra yard And as we've come to see rg3 also has wheeles to make plays (87 yrds 2td). The difference is Cam Newton is the only one who can push the pile and run up the middle for hard yards and hurt the defender who's trying to tackle him. He also has the body to take the punishment that the other mobile QBs have not had.

I don't see how teams can stop Cam from 6 once he gets inside the 10 all he has to do is run a qb read and it's 6 every time no defense can account for his pass and power run which could potentially make him
    The most lethal offensive player the game has ever seen.

With that said I want to know do you think Cam Newton can become the best football player not quarterback ever?

(And yes I think he's a very good quarterback too over 500 yards and completing 70% of his passes through 2 games this yr.)

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I believer Cam has a decent chance for an MVP or two down the line if he's dedicated enough and the Panthers become a contender.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It takes a lot between the ears, a lot of accuracy, and most importantly consistency to be the best ever. I think he could have an MVP season but I'm not so sure if he can the best ever. It depends on how his decision making develops.

I think RGIII has the best chance to be the best ever just because of his mental approach. However, there has to be a lot of things not in his control that need to swing his way like having good targets to throw to and a defense that can keep you in games.

Tom Brady and Joe Montana who are considered the top or near the top played with some good defenses and some pretty good receivers/TEs.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

[​IMG]

epic!!!!!!!!!!

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

This was a talking point between Charlie and Lance yesterday. They cited bad GM decisions (paying 2 runningbacks, paying Charles Johnson) and Cam's mental toughness as things he had to overcome. Lance also relayed things he heard from pro bowl media guys like he didn't get the simplified playbook and he was a diva.

Watching some of that poutfest thursday and seeing Steve Smith scolding him, his obstacles are all between the ears. It's almost an irrelevant example, but scoring the lone td and doing his superman pose. They're still down 3 scores.
    [​IMG]

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i mentioned this the nfl week 3 thread. it screams of arrogance and selfishness. he seems to want the spotlight alone. but it's not isolated to Cam. i see CBs dancing up and down after batting a pass and their team is losing by 17.

8. conquistador#11

Cam newton a diva? I don't know how Lancie figured that one out.
    I think lance is by far the most entertaining host, but a year ago he had his pants halfway down for Cam. I guess Cam is ruining his fantasy team this year, which is how 90% of the local experts come up with their analysis...
    " 4,000 yards...hall of famer!!!! I wish houston had a qb that could throw for 4,000 yards instead we have noodle arm bahhh!!!(followed by raiders soundbyte)"

Since last year, I was more impressed with the red rifle's leadership and savviness at the position,leading the bengals of all teams to the playoffs.

Also, Carolina has to rush the ball more than 11 times when they face a vicious pass rush.

All that said, they'll be fine once they get a real d coordinator. Mcdermott..gross.

***There are so many up and coming good qbs, cam shouldn't be hogging all the spotlight! :p

9. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

If you combine college and pros... probably

but its not likely

he left after his junior year.. so he could have went back for another title

and then came the number 1 overall pick, followed by the most dominant rookie campaign ever. Right now pre-Giants game he was doing pretty well. Have to see how he bounces back

But the list of stuff this guy has already done is pretty amazing, all he has to do now is make the playoffs. The Saints may never be the same, and at 23.. its still to early to give up on him.

10. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

LOL at ESPN... but i didnt expect much different from a website like that

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/39605/does-the-blame-fall-on-cam-newton#comment

Dooes the blame fall on Cam.. haha, are you serious?

Blaming a 2nd year player 3 weeks into his second season, after coming off the most dominant rookie season ever.

Whats next... an article titled "RG3 thinks_______( gets 5,000 comments)

People are still calling Cam...Scam. Thats been played out since 2010( in college), if you are gonna look for a reason to attack a black athlete, try and come up with something new

11. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Yeah, white QB's never get blamed when their teams struggle. Mark Sanchez also says hello... but don't let that stop you from pulling the race card every chance you get.

12. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Mark Sanchez gets attacked, but the spotlight isnt on him. Also Mark Sanchez can say stuff about Tebow, and his quotes wont be taken out of context. But if Santonio Holmes says something about Tebow... then ESPN has their article( 5,000) comments

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I'm not saying Lance is the end all be all, nor is the diva thing a surprise for anyone, when Cam was picturing himself as a franchise (not a franchise qb) even before he was drafted. I wasn't aware that he may have had trouble, or interest, in picking up the playbook. Chudzinski's gameplan being all over the place sure isn't helping either. The zone read so far has only seemed to work on the Saints (like it did for the Skins).

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I agree, Ponder just put 3TDs on the 49ers, one of which was a rushing TD, which nobody ever does on the 49ers. And in a week where parity shows up and upsets were all over the place, it's all taken over by stupid ref talk.

15. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

RG3 will prove to be better than Luck, if the Skins can build around him. Kinda hard when you trade away every draft pick from now till tommorow, and then take a QB right after that. I dont wanna yell conspiracy, but something was NOT right about how that all unfolded. The Rams were not gonna take RG3, dont bid yourself out.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So you already have a built in excuse if you're proven wrong? Congrats on the prediction.

17. Buck Turgidson

Can you please elaborate on this conspiracy? By who, and for what purpose?

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the rams weren't going to take him but Cleveland sure in hell would have loved to have him

19. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Andrew Luck... Alex Smith 2.0

RG3... Aaron Rodgers/Steve Young

Andrew Luck plays in a worse divison, on a better team.

RG3 is without his best wideout, no other WR on the Redskins can create space and get open. I watch the film, and RG3 has to make perfect passes just to get a completion. The playcalling is also suspect. Penalties, Penalties, and more Penalties. RG3 is playing on a team with the WORST secondary in the NFL.. If im a "fantasy guy" im starting Josh Freeman and Vincent Jackson next week

20. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

maybe or they would have traded the pick for a lot less than what the Redskins gave up. If you want a QB take Kirk Cousins in the second, and let RG3 go to a team... that can #1.. have picks to build around him. The Redskins also will be handicapped because of the salary cap fine that Goodell handed down on them. Like i said i dont wanna yell conspiracy

just a dumb organization, or is something bigger at play here