1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can anybody link me to the articles of James Harden saying....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanswin2013, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

his defense needed to be better last year? Not the end of this playoff season, but lasts. I genuinely want to see what he said specifically.

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

he said defense is for certified chumps, he aint no chump

1 person likes this.
  3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

It's only practice.

4. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Pretty sure he reiterated this a few different times heading into last season, but here's one of them:
    [rQUOTEr]JCF: I talked to Coach Sampson last week and he was talking about how he really wants to see you focus on becoming more of a two-way player. How are you approaching the defensive end this season?

JH: it’s definitely a huge focus of mine. Last year everything was new for me: playing that amount of minutes and having to do so much on the offensive end. My defense was slacking, I can admit that. In my previous couple years in Oklahoma City my defense was very good. So I’m trying to get back to good principles, good habits, and being more solid guarding the ball -- that's what I’m working on.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/qa-james-harden
    [/rQUOTEr]

5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Get to the bottom of this, man!

6. clutz

clutz Member

Hmmm... I wonder how that turned out.

7. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

A quote like that makes me think his awful defense is a conditioning issue, which is fixable. Hopefully that will change eventually, and hopefully James uses all this criticism like that ESPN article as motivation

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What makes Harden's awful defense particularly alarming is the circumstances under which it happened.

He was in his 5th season already. He had already been a starter and a primary scorer for an entire year. He knew his defense in 2012-13 was not good and promised to fix it. He knew the kind of attention and conditioning that is required to be a two-way star. He knew that the team signed Dwight Howard and aimed for home court advantage and a significant playoff run.

Yet somehow he allowed his already bad defense to become even worse.

He might actually improve the D this year. But what makes this year different that last summer when he made the same promise?

One must consider the risk that it just won't happen.

9. Hmm

Hmm Member

Michael Jordan after struggling against the Pistons in the their championship run, "I just wasn't ready, physically, to deal with their physical play. It was after that, that I started working on my body, on my conditioning, getting stronger."

The following year... The Bulls beat the Pistons... and began their run as the dynasty of the 90's...

James Harden and his staunch fans seems to be of the mentality that, if Harden can't physically handle playing both ends of the floor, then another player should be acquired to take all defensive responsibilities off of Harden if we want to win....

Something's seriously wrong with these people....

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Scottie Pippen? It's not that all defensive responsibilities should go, but we need a better defensive player for the primary responsibilities.

11. Hmm

Hmm Member

Are you now comparing Harden's defense to Michael Jordan's by bringing up Scottie's role on the team...? Because, Scottie was there to compliment Jordan ( All NBA defensive team Jordan), not to mask his deficiencies... which is what you "primary responsibilities" and other Harden fans are suggesting....

12. Hmm

Hmm Member

complement*

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Jordan wasn't talking about his defense in those speeches, he was talking about his offense, it was the pistons defense that was absurdly physical, plus he played in a hand check era where being able to push through your opponents was integral to penetration.

And Pippen was certainly there to take the primary perimeter defensive responsibilities, and while he was no doubt a great defender, Jordan didn't deserve any all nba defensive team spots in his latter years, no more than Kobe did for several years, or Lebron did this year, no player that is getting to rest on the weak wing player should, but that's the politicization of the award.

#13 Aleron, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  14. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Here comes the I've fallen and will improve card. It's a commitment that's it.

15. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Oh, no! One must consider that you want publicly fellate Patrick "Bench Fodder" Patterson, too.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He's the new DD. Agendas are clear and he tries to make his point ad nauseam.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Stop comparing Harden to Jordan. Because regardless of the point you're trying to make, Harden will come up short every time. Along with ever other basketball player who ever played. I'm officially coining any arguemt or comparison that uses a GOAT as a key pillar as a "Fool's Arguement" - Don't be a fool.

Harden is either going to commit to the defensive end of the court or he isn't, simple as that. Only time will tell.

18. bmd

bmd Member

What blows my mind about Harden's defense isn't just the lack of effort...

it's that he often completely loses his man. He doesn't even pay attention to him. He just stands and watches the ball. It's baffling.

Lazy defensive players know how to play defense without exerting too much energy while also not looking completely lost. They may give their man more space, or cheat over so they don't have to move as much, but they generally don't lose their man because that is inexcusably bad.

I just really don't understand how he looks so lost on defense. Does anybody remember watching him in college? Was he like that on defense?

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This. CH's antic is getting old, even though I agree with him about Harden.

20. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

Thanks