1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Aaron Brooks be as good as Rajon Rondo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TMaC MVP, Apr 20, 2009.

1. 3rdRingsAComin

He is not the do it all type of player that rondo is, he doesn't rebound very well and we all know his assist numbers are far too low. AB is a scoring guard not a true pass first point guard that Rondo is.

Completely different players

2. redao

redao Member

[​IMG]

Brooks got some real "potential" to be very good.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

brooks will never be a good defensive player because he is too small and skinny.

the real question is if he can compensate for it on the offensive end by using his quickness to beat more physical players on the other end, thereby forcing them into a different match-up

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

He's gotta improve the straight away 3 but those are solid road numbers.

5. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Wow, he even finishes around the rim better on the road.

6. sephiroth.hk

sephiroth.hk Member

I think AB will play in different way if under Popovich...

By the day, Lowry is the type of Rondo...
    Just see rockets how to develop him.

7. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

They said the same thing about Tony Parker.

8. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Personally if both develop to their full potential under their current teams, they will be comparable in worth but not style. Despite his skills, I can't see Rondo becoming someone you would bank entire games around night after night and the same goes for Brooks.

9. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

oddly enough, i can see him getting that 19 points, 12 rebounds and 5 steals but never that 16 assist.

10. m304350813

m304350813 New Member

He's defense?

11. bsugfg

bsugfg Member

According to Clutchfans, Aaron Brooks is similar to

Rajon Rondo
    Tony Parker
    mini-Arenas
    Leandro Barbosa
    Jason kidd
    Nate Robinson
    Damon Stoudemire
    Devin Harris

12. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

Have you seen Brooks dunk he would beat Rondo in a slam dunk contest.

13. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

What does this hotspots tell you?

This is the hotspots for Brooks for road games. The Rockets road record is 20-21. That means when Brooks scored the ball more, the Rockets lost more.

Why dont you show Brooks's hotspots for home games?

The Rockets home record is 33-8 and Brooks sucked at home games. So, how could the Rockets squeeze 13 more wins at home?

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Rondo is somewhat over rated. Brooks has a bigger role on this squad than Rondo has on the celts. Rondo has 4 other players he could give the ball to before he takes the shot, Brooks has 2. Rondo is not asked to be a scoring point guard, Brooks is. The truth of the matter is, Rondo is on a very strong team, with a lot of good individual players. Rondo is not the back bone. Pierce can even run the offense, realistically, Ron nor Yao can. True, when Tmac was on this team, their roles are close, but! our big three have never really played together. I think AB is better than Rondo, but that's only because Rondo really hasn't been tested outside his little big three Celtic bubble...

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am not sure what part of my post led you to believe that I was basing my assessment around one game, but I was not. If you can't see the similarities between a sophomore Aaron Brooks and a rookie Tony Parker, then I don't know what to tell you. I am gonna go ahead and take a wild guess you didn't even watch Tony when he was a rookie when you make a foolish post like this.

Do you think Parker came into the league as good as he is now? No, there was a time when the Spurs wanted to dump him for Kidd. It took him a while to find his place within Pop's system, and I see no reason why Brooks can't do the same thing in Adelmans.

Parker and Brooks have nearly identical builds, so I don't know what makes you state your first point. Both are speedy, defense lacking, penetrators. Brooks is a better free throw shooter and outside shooter, Parker is a little better at finishing at the rim. The primary advantage Parker has over Brooks right now is his ability to break down defenses and get a good shot near the basket, which is usually the result of a good pnr with Duncan. Brooks will get better at this with more time especially if he develops a pet Pnr play with someone like Scola.

16. BucMan55

Your assessment might hold water if the percentages were the same but Brooks scored like 15ppg away and 8ppg at home. This doesnt mean that Brooks shot the ball MORE, but he shot it better. How is better shooting EVER a bad thing???

The Rockets were 7-6 away from home with Brooks starting in more or less his current role after T-Mac went down and Alston was traded.

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Okay...Brooks has a lot of potential to me.

People fail to remember...this is basically his rookie season...so he's going to take his bumps.

Things he has to improve on are his decision making especially. If he just improved on that, he'd be vastly better. Hopefulyl his vision gets better. You can't really train and work on these two things...it comes with experience and some guys just know it.

As for his defense, he is limited there but just because he's small doesn't mean he can't play defense. Anticipation helps on defense of course and how smart of a defender you can be by scouting your guy. But personally...I don't think he's ever going to be a good defender.

Overall I think Brooks will be a solid NBA starter for many years to come. All-star...I doubt it. But so what? Everyone can't be a star or all-star. Guys like Fisher, no one doubts his ability.

18. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

He's more a Tony Parker type,I think

19. BucMan55

This is why the comparisons to Parker:

Brooks 40% FG, 36% 3FG, 2 RPG, 3 APG, 1.5 TPG, 11.2ppg

Parker 42% FG, 32% 3FG, 2.6RPG, 4.3APG, 2 TPG, 9.2ppg

In addition to the similar body style, speed and quickness.

Granted, Parker had an entire season of starts, and Brooks only has around 1/3rd.

Those numbers on Brooks are slightly better as a starter, with at least 41% FG, 38% 3FG, and 13ppg. Not sure of his APG, TPG, or RPG.

Edit: Brooks as a starter:

41% FG, 38% 3FG, 3.7APG, 2.4RPG, 13ppg

#59 BucMan55, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  20. BucMan55

Shoot, I remember when certain posters here were screaming for someone like Steve Blake even.