1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Camping Suggestions?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tolne57, Nov 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

Hey all, I was thinking of taking the family camping and was looking for suggestions around the Houston/Austin Area. I as planning on going to the Bastrop area but wasn't sure how much the fires affected the state parks. I know that Lost Pines was hit really hard.

Any suggestions? Nothing too hardcore, more car camping.. we'll have small kids.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Around Austin. Inks Lake and Enchanted Rock are pretty good.

1 person likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agree about Inks lake, there is also Canyon of the Eagles on Lake Buchanan, or you could try Krause Springs, just outside of Austin, a really underated place with Cypress trees and a spring fed swimming hole.

DD

4. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

In Bastrop, Buescher State Park was not effected by the fire. Ironically, Bastrop State Park, which is literally adjacent to Buescher, had significant damage.

If you don't mind going farther into the Hill Country, Lost Maples and Garner State Park are hands down the best areas to go during the Fall. You can check out the weekly foliage report on the Lost Maples TPWD website. It may be difficult to find a spot on the grounds (they are limited and sell out months in advance), but there are other places nearby to set-up in and around Vanderpool and Concan. Even if you cannot make a reservation at Lost Maples/Garner you can still enter and just pay the day use fees.

1 person likes this.
  5. updawg

updawg Member

This is good advice

Where are you coming from?

6. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I'll be coming from Houston but we have some friends in Austin that may be joining us.

7. updawg

updawg Member

You might look at lake sommerville or Fayette (or bueschller) if you want something in between.

If you don't care about driving then head towards the hill country

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Love Krause springs,

has a nice rope swing/cliff thing in addition to cold water year round

9. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

My family always camped at Lake Travis when I was younger, and everybody loved it. That was 20 years ago. I've always wondered what it would be like going back. I only have faint memories of it.

11. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Wow. Was going to respond with Inks Lake, Enchanted Rock, or Krause Springs.

I'm a Scoutmaster and those are always very popular.

Also like Jim Hogg in Georgetown.

12. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

You could always head the other way and go somewhere closer like Double Lake. Haven't been in years, but it's a nice place to camp and probably much closer for you.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Krause is more of a day trip type place. Its too small to really hike around, and people camp right next to each other and cars.

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

agree - i have been several times and even camped, but if you want to do some hiking you will be disappointed. its more of a hang-out and relax type place.

my two favorite central texas camping spots are enchanted rock and lost maples. this time of year i would say car camping is booked and unless you are equipped to do primitive camping i wouldnt even try. if you go on the weekday it wouldnt be a problem, but you said you had kids so im assuming you want something for the weekend.

a place nobody has mentioned yet which would be good for yall is pedernales state park - only 30 minutes west of austin on 290 - a plethora of car camping spots which are actually pretty nice - its very wooded each spot is kind of isolated. tons of great hiking out there too.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/pedernales_falls/

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Second the suggestion for Pedernales Falls. Although you might want to inqurire about the water levels. Central Texas had a horrible drought this year, and the river/falls may just be a trickle at this point.

But yes, the camping spots are well secluded from one another, and there's some decent hikes. I'm not talking Yosemite by any means, but you can still have a good time there.

16. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

im assuming the OP isnt planning to do any swimming in november!:grin:

indeed - plenty of hiking to fill up a weekend. its really nice out there - very underrated spot, especially considering how close it is to austin.

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Lol, good point. I've been out there a few times, but never in Nov.

But yeah, I'm wondering if the river even exists anymore given the total lack of rainfall for months on end.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

19. Rocket1

Rocket1 Member

Lost Maples is the best. Enchanted Rock is enjoyable. Pedernales is fantastic if you are getting in the water but I wouldn't recommend it in the middle of November.

Anyone been to Hill Country SNA? I'm going there this weekend.

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

my nostalgic pick is always Garner State Park outside Uvalde.