1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore to G-League

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by speedjames, Nov 7, 2023.

1. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Not sure why anyone would be down on Cam at this point.

Sky is the limit for him.

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Not down, just not as goofy as some. People are acting like he's a borderline starter, like you kicked their grandmother if you ask why.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Cam may well become the best three point shooter on the roster.

raining threes, Nook and BMoney like this.
  5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Cam Whitmore's career is over ... until ... it ... is ... not.

Dillon Brooks is now Cam Whitmore curious.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Cam's two G-League games:

19 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 5 fouls, 1 turnover, 1 block, 7 for 18 shooting and 3 for 8 from three

25 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 fouls, 4 turnovers, 3 steals, 14 for 21 shooting and 5 for 13 from three

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The sky isn't the limit for Cam. His willingness (1) to play team basketball on offense and (2) commit to defense are the limits for him.

He has physical limitations too. The sooner he realizes what they are, the better.

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I disagree.

9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Baloney….this is pure rubbish from uneducated fans who spout false lies.

BigShasta likes this.
  10. Rokman

Rokman Member

Thanks for saving me the time of looking that up.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He has a coach down there with him with a plan of action for his development.

DD

persian hoopa and raining threes like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with your observations. Cam is very gifted and works hard at the things he works at. However he isn’t an NBA basketball player at this point. He is the greatest pick up game player you will find - but you would think he grew up just playing one on one at the park. They will work with him on reading and reacting on defense and the spacing on offense and where his teammates will be - but it will be hard work and well out of his comfort zone. If he is willing to stick to it and is open to change, there is a good chance he is in the NBA a decade from now… otherwise he will drift in the NBA for a couple years, end up in Europe where he will be cut for style of play and end up play for some team in Mexico or the Philipinese.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Yes - especially for someone like Cam that is so young. The problem is that he MUST focus on what they want him to work on. A lot of guys go to the G-League and plan to drop 25-30 points a night and they don’t improve and struggle when called up because they ignored their weaknesses while in the G-League.

Cam has averaged nearly 20 shots a game in the G-League and has scored a lot of points - but it means zero to me. I want to know how he is doing executing in a team first offense, is he playing within the flow of the offense? Is he focusing on passing? Is he working on and improving playing in a team defense? Is he identifying where his teammates are on the floor?

When I start seeing 6-8 assists and glowing reports on his team defense and playing within the team structure - then I’ll be excited.

14. Nook

Nook Member

All I saw was a guy looking for his turn to get the ball and not give it up because he can score.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Your emotional babble of a reply actually supports my point.

Cam has to figure out the mental aspect of the NBA. The primary roadblock to his success is between his ears.

persian hoopa and RudyTBag like this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Ime wouldnt pull him from G-league unless Cam accomplished something while he was there.

I guess we find out what in a few days.

raining threes likes this.
  17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Honestly probably just to give him some burn

HakeemOnlyFan and Nook like this.
  18. PeppermintCandy

The only Rockets player I saw make noticeable improvements after his stint in the G-League was Clint Capela in his rookie season.
    But he reportedly had Jack Sikma go down there with him to tutor him and work on his post moves. When he came back and started getting playing time with the Rockets near the end of the season, he was a different player.

Whitmore will hopefully work on aspects of his game that need improving while in the G-League, rather than just put up numbers.
    But I think the Rockets will have to give him the right coaching support to make this happen.

raining threes likes this.
  19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you guys watch the games? Just curious, because Cam is a total bonehead. :D

He won't be that way forever, but he is the rookiest rookie you will find, and that is okay. Udoka is the perfect coach for him going forward.

Nook and raining threes like this.
  20. PeppermintCandy

I think they do this all the time. For instance, TyTy went back and forth from the G-League to the NBA all last season.