1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore to G-League

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by speedjames, Nov 7, 2023.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This guy plays with FORCE - once he grows into the NBA - look out!

DD

Dobbizzle likes this.
  2. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

What is there to be proven wrong about? I hope he does well which is why I'm on this board. He could very well be on his way to greatness, I don't doubt that. But like I said, there is a reason why he was taken 20th pick when he was mocked a lot higher. There were concerns about his character and proffesionalism. I don't know why posters on this website think teams forgot he entered the draft and the rockets were the only team to remember at 20th pick. He wouldn't be the first and last player to slip because of character concerns.

JeffB likes this.
  3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

@DreamShook

Save Cam's life man.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Cam is in quicksand. The harder he tries to prove himself, the faster he sinks.

It's a no win proposition for an elite talent. He can let the team neuter him, but he'll never become a star. He'll become a bench plug-in and never be all that he can be. He needs to go to a team like Brooklyn who can play him. The G-League is not the answer unless you want to turn him into a bench plug-in.

5. invocux

invocux Member

Zalgiris Kaunas next year then.

6. TheBeastSystem

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The hot takes are hilarious. Very manic around here.

Cam hasn’t even played meaningful ball yet in his rookie year 6 games in the season. Injuries will happen and he’ll get a chance to play with the starters or bench unit like most rookies do later in the season. At that point we’ll see more if he can play unselfish.

With his talent I could care less that in summer league and in the second half of preseason games he shot one shot per minute. I care what he does when he’s on the floor with FVV, Sengun, etc.

Hopefully he works mostly on his passing, team defense, and facilitating off the pick and roll where i think he can eventually be elite and an attacking p&r guard. Being a smart playmaker and passer out of the pick and roll is where that talent turns into a player you can have in a 6th man scorer roll as soon as late this year or next season.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

DD already cursed him.. its in god's hands now.

Nook, Rokman, Richie_Rich and 8 others like this.
  9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Derrick White spent time in the G League and is now all star caliber.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  10. VoR

VoR Member

this aged poorly

11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I am relaxed lol and ok I just hope its a short stint I cant hope that? i want to see him play for the Rockets this season i think it would do him more good.

12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

IT WAS A SHORT STINT WHEN HE WAS WITH THE ROCKETS. With us KPJ was in the gleauge for like a month. Is no one reading that part? lol

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Great for him. He's something like the 6th youngest player in the entire NBA (450+ players). He can certainly learn a lot in one month in the G League. We've always had good coaches down there via the front office and now our HC comes from a strong development background so I'm sure they will be set up very well to train guys up effectively.

I think he'll be there for a month or two and probably compete for NBA minutes in the second half of the season. Patient, deliberate development with accountability for minutes. I love it. He's going to benefit a lot from this stint.

Hemingway likes this.
  14. alex_eg6

alex_eg6 Member

Jae' Sean Tate has enter the chat

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Cam Whitmore had 19 points on 18 shots in his debut with the Vipers. He also had 8 rebounds, 2 assists and a block. The Vipers lost.

DreamShook likes this.
  16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I actually watched the game. Can is a great shooter. He started hitting 3 of his first 4 shots from distance. Great form and confidence. He could be useful later in the season. He blew a couple alley oops and dunks or would have more points

Hard to describe but seems lost somehow in team play. Good on defense one on one but team defense seems weak. Great burst for steals.

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Correct. It is up to him to learn the offensive and defensive systems and try to slow the game down in his mind. If he has the right mental make-up he is going to be a great player.

Mathloom likes this.
  18. Newlin

Newlin Member

Is the g league a good place to learn how to play team ball?

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It's the best option you have available along with practice and sitting on the sideline listening in on timeouts and to coaches during games.

20. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

how did the defense look?