1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore to G-League

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by speedjames, Nov 7, 2023.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Legend of CamBron begins.

Ancient Moabite and Tuckmose like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not even sure your first sentence is accurate. Cam knows he can score, but I'm not too sure he knows how to score. And I agree about the whole team ball thing. You saw it all during summer league and some during pre-season. He's got all the gifts, he just needs to learn how to play on a team where he won't be the focus, as well as learn to play team defense and learn to recognize when and possibly how to pass. Under Udoka, Jalen is even having to do that a bit, and he sounds like he's readily accepting it.

albuster and Aruba77 like this.
  3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

If this was the Silas rockets (ah!!) then Cam would be playing every night. Rockets too good for that now

4. Newlin

Newlin Member

From summer league MVP to RGV

#64 Newlin, Nov 7, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2023
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not sure if he will learn anything in the G-league. Anyone with some fringe NBA talent can dominate there.

It could just be a mental way to let him understand NBA level team basketball isn't just dunking on everyone.

bmelo likes this.
  6. MystikArkitect

Pretty sure it's a message by the coaching staff. Bullock relegated to playing in garbage time and Holiday playing out of his mind. Whitmore down to G League. He treated the 4th Quarter like it was a pickup game and Ime wasn't too happy about it.

Cam is going to take a bit to mature and understand basketball fundamentals.

7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Disagree….he was an absolute steal and is almost two years younger than Amen. Kid just needs parenting and experience. Your post will be proven wrong in the near future and he’ll be a fan favorite. Team is using the time to work on getting rid of Bullock.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  8. marinara

marinara Member

He only just turned 19 a few months ago, relax.

9. JW86

JW86 Member

Hope he understands this is an opportunity to work on his game and prove he can be ready when called back. I fear he will grow frustrated though.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  10. VoR

VoR Member

Maybe he was bringing bad energy to the clubhouse right when the team is starting to gel. Or maybe Ime said, we want to keep you fresh. We definitely don't need him taking 7 3s a game. Jermaine Samuels Jr is on a 2 way, though, and Whitmore is better. Doesn't make sense.

Edit: Samuels went to RGV too.

#70 VoR, Nov 8, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
    REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Fans and media alike seemed to expect Cam to contribute right away, especially after injuries to Amen and Tari.
    This created somewhat of an expectation that was dashed big time by the news of him going to G-League.

Unfortunately, this may fuel his frustration.

Williamson likes this.
  12. VoR

VoR Member

The more I read about this, the more I like it. Ime's all alpha and he knocked the pup in the chops. If Cam has a bad attitude and needs to learn aspects of the game that are not just about scoring, then RGV is a good place for him while Ime works on establishing a new culture in Houston. If Cam doesn't play well with Ime, then that says something about Cam.

albuster likes this.
  13. cml750

cml750 Member

I think Cam might be having trouble adjusting to not being the same top dog he was in high school and in college. He needs to learn to be humble and accept that he is not the alpha, at least not yet as a rookie. Being sent to the G-league will be a humbling experience however he will go right back to being the alpha while there so I am not sure if this will help or not. It will get him a lot of playing time. Hopefully he learns to be more of a team player while there.

14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

cam is like the 2nd youngest player in the NBA. the G-league isn't below him.

VoR, Williamson, JayGoogle and 2 others like this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I mean sucks for Cam he didn't join the Rockets 2 seasons ago. This team just can't afford to play a unpolished 19 year old consistent minutes. The goals for this team are completely different than the past few years.

VoR, JayGoogle, REEKO_HTOWN and 2 others like this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Bullock hasn’t been getting any minutes. He will be moved or let go before the end of the year unless he gets his shot corrected. Cam needs the reps and that is what he will get in the g-league. Amen is already a plus defensive player and rebounder. He might should get a week or so “re-hab” assignment in the g-league, but he will immediately return to the rotation and rightfully so. Cam is super young and the g-league runs the same offensive and defensive sets as the Rockets. It is really like an extended training camp and it will help Cam to earn a spot in the rotation better than sitting on the bench in the big league. Once we get off this home stand, there will be very little practice. The G-league gives these guys time with coaches and real game experience they won’t get with the Rockets now that we are in win mode.

BaselineFade and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It’s not just about the games. It is about the practice. Big league teams don’t have much practice during the season. If you are trying to win, the few practices are more about working with the rotational players to make in season adjustments to keep the team playing well. In the G-league, practices are about learning the team concepts on offense and defense and a lot of attention can be given to high up-side players. Cam is one of the youngest players in the league and was a 6 man in college. He needs a lot of tutoring to take advantage of his natural gifts in a game where each team plays about 8-9 players consistently and has very little in-season practice time.

18. Soneca

Soneca Member

It was a given here: we’re trying to win, he’s not helping us—I mean, not at all—with that. He’s young and needs to play in order to develop. I’d call it a no-brainer.

Corpusfan, fchowd0311 and Hemingway like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would ship Bullock to the G-League as well if he were not that old and the Vipers do not even want him.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Good move by Ime and staff. Can needs to remake his entire approach to the game. RGV is a good place for him to figure that out.

albuster likes this.