1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore to G-League

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by speedjames, Nov 7, 2023.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yes, I do.

Because whether we like it or not there is still a heirarchy from the FO in when decisions on players need to be made....they need to find out about jalen first.

DD

Entropy, xtruroyaltyx and invocux like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I don't think Jalen makes winning plays, nor has he ever - his BBall IQ is low low low.

DD

invocux likes this.
  3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Man, I was just thinking about his form. Reminds me a lot os Sweet Lou

Stros Guy likes this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Anybody watching Cam's game in Summer League/pre-season and G-League can tell you he has great ability. His most surprising aspect to me has been his 3 point shooting. But since people just seem to look at his stats to determine "he's ready", how about Jermaine Samuels', Jarret Culver's, Darius Days', Nate Hinton's, etc. stats? Y'all know we have about 5 dudes averaging over 20 points down there? People like Amen and Cam are doing great, but when they go down there, they become the focus of the offense - everybody else takes a back seat because ... 1st round picks. In his first game, Amen put up 26 shots. Cam is averaging almost 19 shots per game and 10 of those are 3's. Y'all really that's going to continue in the NBA?

When he got minutes in NBA games, his stats weren't as impressive. Maybe he was nervous (doesn't seem like the type) or maybe he was having off games, but when you actually watch the G-League games, you can see times where he gambles on defense and fails, he chooses to drive into the teeth of the defense when he shouldn't, turning his back on plays he probably knew he wouldn't be involved in, and a couple of times he's completely lost track of the time left on the shot/game clock and jacked up shots with too much time left, etc. These are run/game-breaking, play-busting, mistakes that would piss Ime off. These don't show up in stats. The talent is there, but you can tell the experience/thought-process is still a work-in-progress. There's a lot of "playground" in his game - it's still raw. To me, he's still figuring out team ball, but he has a chance to be a good player. Maybe even by the end of the season - who knows?

5. invocux

invocux Member

I don't give a damn about how he looked in college while he's an NBA player now. Whenever stepped on the court he looked good. Am i supposed to look back his college days and judge him based on those days while he's doing fine now? I don't expect him the set the league on fire right of the bat but after couple months we will have a legit shooting guard. Jalen should be cut immediately we are 9-9 sooner this team is more than promising and sooner we introduce Cam and Amen to the NBA is better for us in the long term. We need cutters and Cam is that. Sengun is missing Kenyon and him and Sengun looked good together. There is a chemistry we should let them build on that. We need more 2 men actions FVV and Sengun isn't enough. FVV-Jabari, FVV-Jalen don't exist. We need to diversify our offensive actions.

Other teams play their 52nd overall picks and we are being overly cautious for no reason. Jaime is getting 27 mins a game Podziemski 19, Toumani Camara (52nd overall) 25 mpg, Sasser 18 mpg, Strawther 13 mpg. Are these kids flawless? No they are not but they still get more minutes than Cam who is twice the player they are. Over the years we sent enough players to G league hoping that they would get better. They didn't. Jaygup didn't, Garuba didn't. You don't go to the G League as Bennett and come back as Lebron. If you are good you are good if you are sh.t you are sh.t. Take 2 mins from Brooks, 10 minutes from JG and play him 20 minutes a night.

Downtown Sniper and NewAge like this.
  6. RLP55

RLP55 Member

I understand this is a Cam Whitmore thread. But the CF seems to have a major blindspot. Cam is an intriguing player, massive athleticism. Agree at 19, his maturity and bbiq need improvement.

The blindspot? He ain't getting any minutes once Thompson is healthy. What, they play different positions? Doesn't matter. Eason is developing rapidly and his minutes will increase. Amen just offers so much more versatility. Plain and simple, Thompson is a better basketball player than CW.

I do like CW as a player, his future looks bright. Thompson is in the G league for physical rehab. CW is there for other reasons.

Just sayin'

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While I agree with that, in order to learn the team dynamic fully though, he has to play with the NBA team also.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Jalen is learning how to ride the pine in the fourth period.

Corrosion likes this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

10. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Need to play both these guys on the real team. Decrease J Green’s time as he’s a turnover prone player.

11. invocux

invocux Member

Amen can't shoot. His shooting form is a mess. If you can't shoot you are not better basketball player than someone who can shoot.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What Ilike is Ime pulling a player over and giving a bit of instruction. If it’s next year, so be it. I’m positive about his future - - even if his future isn’t yet here.

13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I fully disagree with anyone that thinks cam and amen should not be on the team and getting minutes. Free the rooks!

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think it's that low for his age. KPJ was a helluva lot dumber in his decisionmaking, for example. Jalen isn't anywhere near, say, a young Javale McGee in terms of stupidity.

I'd peg his IQ as average-ish, maybe slightly below average.

Entropy, Hakeemtheking and topfive like this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

jalen green going to go off today confirmed, lol

16. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Clint Capela, Montrezl Harrel, Danuel House, and KPJ all turned into decent NBA players after spending much of their rookie years in the G-League, with the former two turning into elite role players and the latter two would be fine if they didn't have a combined IQ of 90.

MultipleSauces likes this.
  17. MultipleSauces

The g league is a convenient place to rehab our players, get them used to our sets and is also a good farm system for quality insurance third or fourth string players. Cam is down there for now and amen is using it to get minutes while healthy. There’s literally no downside . You guys need to relax our success will come but it takes time for the players and coach to gel and mind meld before our potential can be realized. There is a bigger plan going on that stone is executing so just enjoy the ride and have some faith in our franchise

roslolian likes this.
  18. MystikArkitect

Yeah nothing like playing a couple of rooks to clean up a turnover problem.

anthony59237, roslolian and Mathloom like this.
  19. invocux

invocux Member

If you are not gonna play them it's better for them to play in G league but Cam is already good enough to get 15-20 mins a night and that 15 mins is more beneficial to him than 25 mins in G League.

Entropy likes this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

delete

#420 jim1961, Dec 9, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2023