1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Sep 12, 2023.

?

Is he ready with a bigger role and more responsibilities AKA minutes - this early

This poll will close on Sep 12, 2025 at 3:14 AM.
  1. yes

309 vote(s)
    84.7%
  2. no

56 vote(s)
    15.3%
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Tari is so old he should be thinking about his social security checks.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He's Dalton Knecht old. Cut him.

Williamson, Easy and conquistador#11 like this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. prs325

prs325 Member

Excited for Cam’s future

jim1961 likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

That is hilarious.

Play Whitmore to win more !

DD

MarioKissoDeath likes this.
  6. kpdark

kpdark Member

7. PeppermintCandy

LOL Whitmore's summer league highlights look exactly like his regular season highlights. The dude just came into the league ready to dunk on someone.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

In terms of skills, physique, and talent Whitmore is a complete star package right now.

All if his shortcomings are about actual in game know how in terms of offensive and defensive floor awareness. You never know if a player will develop that knowledge. It's not a matter of just getting experience, some guys simply will never have it, and some guys have it naturally.

It will be a big year for him. If he is gonna take on an actual star trajectory we will 100% know it this season IMO.

red5rocket, Easy and DaDakota like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So old he could finish his PHD program on benign growths.

GreenLantern likes this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I love Cam's explosiveness and violent attitude.

I think he would give us 20 points from the SG position with higher efficiency than Jalen.

11. mario_v

mario_v Member

Cam’s got the same build as Anthony Edwards but three inches taller.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

The most basic of reasons was his primary motivation.

“It’s hoops,” Whitmore said. “I love playing basketball. It’s my life, to be honest. So, playing basketball in summer league, why not come back to Vegas?”

…Asked if he is more confident after last summer’s success and his play in the regular season, Whitmore said, “Yes and no.”

“I think I had the same swagger and confidence coming into summer league last year,” said Whitmore who averaged 19.3 points, 5.2 rebounds and 2.5 steals in Las Vegas last summer. “I would say a little higher chip on the shoulder because of the draft (last summer after his surprising fall to the 20th pick.)

“This year, I’m going to keep that same intensity, keep that same mentality, just try to spread it around the other guys to win the championship.”

For Whitmore, there can be benefits to picking up playing time in Las Vegas, especially in the role he will play as a more featured scorer than when coming off the bench. But it is unclear how many games he would play. Asked if Whitmore would play throughout the tournament, Rockets assistant coach Garrett Jackson, who is coaching the summer league team, said, “We’ll see.

“I think just getting extra reps, like game reps,” Jackson said of the benefits of returning to the summer league games. “His role will be a little different here, rather than with our team off the bench. Featuring him a little bit more.

“Any time you’re somebody that young, he just turned 20 last week, as much as you can get him game reps where he is playing a lot and getting more and more comfortable on the court — he’s not a guy that lacks confidence — the more he is on the court and can get more and more comfortable, I think it will translate and help us.”

Whitmore does not have as much to prove as he felt he did last summer. But he is seeking to improve. Though his workouts touch on all facets of his play, he has sought to become a more well-rounded scorer, as opposed to limiting himself to catch-and-shoot 3s and his occasional Slam Whitmore moments above the rim.

“I would say mid-range,” Whitmore said. “I’ve definitely been working on my middies, my pull-ups, perfecting my craft, perfecting my catch-and-shoot, making sure it’s dead-eye, not going all over the place, all over the rim.”

13. JW86

JW86 Member

Apparently told Jones from ESPN that adding playmaking is fine and all but that he's going to shoot the ball. Not the smartest answer and right mentality but I'll chuck it up to him being young.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  14. anchel

anchel Member

It's exasperating to watch him play.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He had 20 pts and 10 boards. Yea, he was terrible all right :eek:

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

Bad first half. Made up for it in the second.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

He needs to teach that bowling ball pass/assist to the other guys. Could be his trademark nba skill :D

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

He had to work double hard to get over the DD curse that was dragging him down for the first half and making him look like Josh Christopher off Wish.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

His violent dunk was electric.

clos4life and Mr.Scary like this.
  20. kpdark

kpdark Member