1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Cam Whitmore putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Sep 12, 2023.

?

Is he ready with a bigger role and more responsibilities AKA minutes - this early

This poll will close on Sep 12, 2025 at 3:14 AM.
  1. yes

296 vote(s)
    85.3%
  2. no

51 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I don't believe I was talking about you, hence not quoting you when I posted.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When did he get benched?

Are you talking about the last game when Boban played the second half? Was Landale benched for Boban?

I think that was a game where Ime decided to have all the rookies and dudes who barely got playing time to "cook".

When people refer to empty numbers at the end of the season they are talking about the last few games in April.

3. fchowd0311

Why are you doing this to Cam man?

Why do you hate the kid?

You know how this works. You know how your juju works. You are like 20 for 20 with hyping up dudes falling flat on their face. Why do you want Cam to fail?

Richie_Rich and Dobbizzle like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Cam is going to be great, not good, but great......and he is bumping inconsistent boy to 6th man or traded.

DD

r-fan-since-81 likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

I love Jalen but you don't have to put that juju on Cam. I don't know what you have against Cam to want him to fail.

Dobbizzle and clos4life like this.
  6. clos4life

clos4life Member

DD, we all love Cam, please don't put the DD curse on him.

Corrosion and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Only the feable minded believe in curses......Cam is strong willed - not weak of mind as many on this bbs are.....got to be strong minded, and open minded - those are hard to do, but you can do it......

:)

DD

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Cam Whitmore reading your reply:
    [​IMG]

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Cam loves his true fans, he knows what we know......and soon others will as well.

DD

r-fan-since-81 and clos4life like this.
  10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

First time I've seen a dude palming a dude's junk while he's getting slammed on.

11. H. Christopher

Rockets would be better off if Cam Whitmore and Reed Sheppard get all of Jalen’s minutes

DaDakota likes this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Cam has to be able to break down defenses off the dribble. Until he can do that he cannot take Jalen’s place on the offense. Sheppard has not shown that ability either. If Cam is going to take minutes from Jalen, he better be spending all his free time developing moves other than the off-tackle running plays he now has in his toolbox.

13. fchowd0311

It's not just beating individual defenders off the dribble. Cam right now probably can iso out single defenders and break them down mostly through his strength and bully ball. In fact when Can is on the floor next season I'd like if Ime calls out individual plays for clear outs occasionally for Cam to bully ball a defender.

What he is so far removed from and something I doubt he will ever be is a high usage primary pnr ball handler who can keep a live dribble from snaking through multiple defenders and screens and using a dribble to manipulate said screens.

Cam is more likely to go the Carmelo route where most of his scoring is wing isolation clear ours bully balling single defenders.

Have why he can be a dominant scorer from the wing position.

But his talent simply can't replace Green. Green has an entirely different set of skillets and talents that Can simply doesn't have.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agreed. Reed won’t be able to replace that ability either. Either Green becomes more efficient from 3 or we trade him for someone with the ability to break down defenses and shoot. Folks thinking Cam is our SG of the future are misguided. I do believe he is our SF of the future, if he gets better at defense. Amen is our starting SF until FVV is no longer on the team and maybe forever if we get another all-star guard. If that is the scenario ,Cam will have to be moved, because he is too good to be a permanent bench player and he won’t stand for it.

cmlmel77 and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He already can do that, he just didn't have to because he plays faster than others....but he has a nice handle and is an excellent passer.

DD

16. fchowd0311

If we judge his handle based on power forwards it's above average. If we judge it by the league's wings, it's average. If we judge it by guards, it's below average.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Sorry you must be watching a different player than the rest of us. I like Cam a lot, but he does not have a nice handle and he isn’t an excellent passer. He might develop those skills, but he doesn’t have them yet. His best bet to be a starter is to become great at defense which will allow him to have many more transition opportunities that he is great at. Speed alone does not allow you to beat team defenses in the half court.

A_3PO, cmlmel77 and fchowd0311 like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Cam's biggest challenge isn't his handle or his passing in a physical sense, it's the mental side of it that he needs to work on. He's always been the type of player that struggled with tunnel vision....and he may always be that kind of player, which is fine. Right now, he's the best SG on the roster. If he stays someone who is more of a traditional SG and not a combo guard, that's absolutely fine.....because sometimes that's all you need a player to be.

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Of course I am, I went and watched him in the Gleague as well - where he averaged 3.5 assists his role changed in the NBA, but he is a lot better than most people who only saw the Rocket's games think.

DD

r-fan-since-81 likes this.
  20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

For the record, I hope you are right. I just think you have taken the Cam excitement a little too far, but fans will be fans. I’m sure I’m going to be accused of being an Amen only fan soon enough. They would be wrong though. My definition of an only fan is someone that degrades other Rocket players to elevate their only player. I think all our core players are headed for great NBA careers with the possible exceptions of Jalen (if he doesn’t learn to shoot 3’s) and Tari (if he keeps getting injured).