1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Sep 12, 2023.

?

Is he ready with a bigger role and more responsibilities AKA minutes - this early

This poll will close on Sep 12, 2025 at 3:14 AM.
  1. yes

296 vote(s)
    85.3%
  2. no

51 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. invocux

invocux Member

I watched him maybe twice before the draft and it was enough to tell that he was better than kenyon and josh. At some point he was a projected top 5 pick. Givony said that he slid down to 20 because they found some cartilage in his knee which could be an issue towards the end of his career. I think it's so vague there are players with cartilage issue who is still in the league at 30. Apparently according to some studies over 80% of the athletes were able to return to sports life after cartilage transplantation. It doesn't sound like a death sentence to me sounds like it's common among athlese and some player's cartiliage issues are managable some player's not. Westbrook had had knee cartilage surgery in 2013 and still playing while Brandon Roy had to retire.

2. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He doesn’t forced bad shots. If he’s taking good quality shots and not hitting, then that’s fine but you don’t want him to not take a good shot because his shot isn’t falling. He ahas a purpose and role out there, and as long as he’s playing it and within the system it’s aight if he has some off nights.

3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He doesn’t forced bad shots. If he’s taking good quality shots and not hitting, then that’s fine but you don’t want him to not take a good shot because his shot isn’t falling. He has a purpose and role out there, and as long as he’s playing it and within the system it’s aight if he has some off nights.

4. i3artow i3aller

5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Feel like he is going to be a star level wing. So you and already pretty physically developed with a good skillset. Floor is probably a 6th man scorer type.

Crashlanded19, roslolian and Mr.Scary like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He is a better version of Dillon Brooks without the villain complex.

I wouldn't be surprise in a year or two, Stone would have to attach a couple of picks to get rid of Brooks's contract.

slothy420, BallSoHarden and YOLO like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why? Cams rookie scale contract runs for 3 yrs at less than 4M per year. Lol.

glimmertwins likes this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Has nothing to do with Cam's contract.

In a year, Cam will take Brooks's starting job like it's his lunch money. Tilman will ask Stone why the guy we are paying 85M is sitting on the bench.

YOLO likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

He forces plenty of bad shots. He’s never seen a shot he doesn’t like. That’s just the way he is and how he plays with his own green light on

But to act like he doesn’t force bad shots is definitely false

BonziWellsGOAT and glimmertwins like this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This reminds me of OKC with Harden, Westbrook & Durant all over again. When the time comes to decide which one to pay and keep, I hope we keep the right one ....

red5rocket and glynch like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol maybe a lite version because no way those 3 are all MVPs, the competition with Wemby, Chet, Banchero will be too great.

#191 daywalker02, Oct 12, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
    BallSoHarden likes this.
  12. Ancient Moabite

Best way to learn from that OKC blunder is to pay the extra 5-10 mill$ and keep'em all

Its still crazy how OKC gave up on that trio to pay Ibaka, who no doubt was elite young shot blocker but you don't choose that over All NBA caliber, especially at that young of age which you invested 3rd overall pick for

red5rocket, glynch and NewAge like this.
  13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Ibaka responded quicker. They were negotiating with Harden at the same time. Harden just took longer. I don’t think it was initially planned to pay Harden less. He wa a jsut the last at the table left to pay. If he worked out a deal before Ibaka’s camp did, he probably gets the full amount he want to stay in OKC and Ibaka is the one left to take a slight lesser salary

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is by far the better Fan favorites Material.

He is young and can stay longer.

Easy likes this.
  15. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Go back and watch the tape my man - he definitely takes poor shots(1 on 4 fast break - really?) and ignores his teammates. To his credit he can make opportunities out of those but they are at the expense of a team concept. I see a lot of Westbrook’s downhill bully ball in him but I struggle to see a world where he averages 10+ assists like Westbrook because he is so far from that mentality right now. I don’t think he has to be Westbrook though - he already seems like his floor is an off the bench scorer and if he becomes the 2nd unit bucket getter KPJ should have been I think that’s highly valuable. There is a reason the Lou Williams, Jason Terry, and Jamal Crawfords had such long NBA careers. If he learns to be a better facilitator or a solid two way player that just bumps him into starter range - and that’s a steal for a guy picked at 20.

16. NewAge

NewAge Member

yeah, the key is NOT to give him the ball in a position where he is tempted to take a bad shot. What you need is Off-Ball Cam: a cutter, a finisher and open shot taker. You need a system for that that has to be communicated and executed properly.

If the kid breaks plays... well he'll quickly get on Coaches' bad side.
    But if you don't run a system and instead run some Silas-diarhea type of offense, Cam will take many bad shots and it will be on coach, not on him.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Brandon Roy played 5 years and made 2-3 All Stars.

You could draft on that alone.

It was a domino effect like when someone is in shock...you just run and don't react.

16 teams were like that and it spread throughout.

In their defense some of the teams targeted specific positions such as Centers, PGs and such.

18. Bo6

Bo6 Member

if Cam wants to make it in the league it will always be about his efficiency and team defense.

he will be a microwave scorer at worst, but has a high ceiling if he can focus on the weaker areas.

19. MystikArkitect

In a couple of years, Brooks' contract will be considered a value. It's probably a value today lol.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

his contract $90 mil deal will never be value. that's ridiculous

this sounds just like all the delusional C wood is a max player and worth a 1st round pick being thrown around on CF's

Easy likes this.