1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Newton On Pace to be Greatest Football Player Eva

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by pgabriel, Oct 26, 2011.

1. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

She did get suspended from ESPN for saying that "'rooting for the Celtics is like saying Hitler was a victim, it's like hoping Gorbachev would get to the blinking red button before Reagan.'' The very invoking of such politically inflamed analogies, the no-so-delicate accusation of treason, in comparison to mere fandom, reeks of a desperate attempt to draw a niche following. This is a very common tactic in the plagiarized, unoriginal, 'everything's-already-been-covered' landscape of a non-beat, unspecialized, third-rate-assigned journalist who is clamoring to carve out a name for his or herself. I think she thinks it gives her a specialty or an expertise which she can follow further in her career, so she pursues, or is commissioned by the four letter network to pursue, racial subtexts in, primarily, NFL.

I have the most issue with the leap in logic she makes here below, and since she is a sports writer, I don't see the need for her to illustrate racial political connections, ever. Race plays a role the same way the views of any player (ex. Tebow) play a role in sports: a bureaucratic one. I don't see ESPN's Christian ombudsman on retainer defending him for the 'Tebowing dissent', or "racism."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=hill/101123

She also wrote this [link] column addressing my criticism of racially charged reporting. Her obligation to even write the column, and ESPN green-lighting it says something to me about the way her journalism is perceived. I don't really care, or think she is racist. Maybe middle white american fanboys are the racists for not wanting to listen to her. What I do know, is that it is empirical that she is a terrible television personality, and her lack of voice, presence and substance mucks up my daily sports p*rn devouring.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

FWIW, I don't think Smith, Stewart, Williams, Shockey & Olsen are crap. Cam is playing great, but how bad were Jimmy Clausen, Jake Delhomme, Matt Moore, and Brian St. Pierre?

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't feel the need to find race baiting after calling her a race baiter

whatever dude

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i'd like to update cam's performance. he needs five hundred yards to catch peyton's rookie record. he won't catch peyton in tds he has 13 peyton had 26. he has broken the all time qb rushing td record.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He will have more total tds than Peyton.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

He's damn good. Way to tell all the non believers (which included me) to eat crow.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

update:

200 yards from peyton's rookie record with 3 games to play. more total tds, 10 full points higher rating, over 500 rushing yards, two blown games by kicker

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But Tebow just wins.

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Ron Rivera was saying that Newton deserves to play in the Pro Bowl. Not a story in an of itself, just a coach sticking up for his guy. But the more I think about it, he might have a legitimate case.

Right now he's at 3573 passing yards, 15 TDs and 16 INTs. Cam only sports a 59.7% completion percentage, pretty pedestrian.

BUT

Let's consider that a rushing attempt is just as valuable as a short completion, and a rushing TD is just as valuable as a passing TD (outside of fantasy football). If you add his rushing attempts to his pass completions and pass attempts, his rushing yards to his passing yards, and his rushing TDs to his passing TDs, you get a stat line (through 13 games) that looks something like this:

Att: 559 (from 452)
    Cmp: 377 (from 270)
    Cmp%: 67.4% (from 59.7)
    Yds: 4,127 (from 3,573)
    YPA: 7.38 (from 7.91)
    TD: 28 (from 15)
    INT: 16
    QB Rating: 93.8 (from 81.1)

Also, he hasn't lost any fumbles running, so his rush attempts haven't led to any turnovers.

I'm not posting this to argue for Cam making the Pro Bowl, since I never watch it and don't really care who makes it. I just think it's interesting to see how much of an impact scrambling ability can have on a QB's value. This guy's gonna be a monster if he maintains his athleticism and improves steadily as a passer.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

His TD to Int ratio is terrible and his sub 60% completion does nothing for me.

Turnovers are the best stat for wins and losses. Saying he will be the greatest ever is totally foolish, but par for the course for the OP.

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Meh, not convinced. Talk to me after the Texans' defense breaks a couple of his ribs on Sunday. :grin:

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

If he breaks Peyton's record on Sunday, and I'd expect him to, I hope they announce it at Reliant, and I hope Texans fans applaud it. I haven't seen him play all year, but the stats are amazing.

13. Major

Major Member

[​IMG]

14. SacTown

SacTown Member

Convinced now?

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

His sub 60% is a very HORRIBLE 59.7%, while he is trailing Tavaris Jackson and a trio of Matts - Ryan, Hasselbeck, and Schaub.

For the most part, he is also a rookie on a 2-14 team from last year.

16. HPD

HPD Member

Stil a crook and prostitute. Had stolen laptop an his dad was pimpn him out to highest $$$ college

17. HombreDeHierro

cool story bro

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

update

17 yards from peyton's record. more tds than ints, still a sub 60.0 % at 59.6%

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

There's really no way around it, he's already one of the most productive QBs in the league. 4331 total yards and 30 total TDs vs 16 INTs is just absurd for a rookie.

20. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Plus a rookie head coach and no off season.