1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Cameron for OC?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by leroy, Jan 3, 2008.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He was fired by the Dolphins today. I don't think he was completely at fault there and was given a raw deal. No matter what he did in Miami, he is a hell of an offensive coordinator. His San Diego teams put up big numbers in his time there. Get him a running back and we could do the same in Texans land. We've got the pass catching tight end and better WR's than they ever had in SD.

Can't hurt to at least give him a call to see if he's interested.

Interesting side note...Cameron is the first coach the Dolphins have fired in 37 years.

#1 leroy, Jan 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I say give Jr. Shanahan the job

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Cam Cameron is a system coach, meaning he has his own system. I doubt he's going to be hired by Kubiak to coach Kubiak's offense.

I'd bet he ends up as the OC in Dallas if Garret is gone.

4. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I was thinking the same thing. Kubiak has his own (Shanahan's with the "West Coast"/"Ohio Valley") offense. Cam has a different style which would clash. I think little Shan will get the job.

5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Cameron is going to want a lot more freedom with the offense than Kubiak is going to give him.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

When did Cameron become a hot commodity to make these demands? The guy can go sell car insurance.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Cameron would want to be OC here. I mean, he was one of the candidates to be OUR head coach when we hired Kubiak, right? I thought he interviewed once or twice. I doubt he would want to be taking orders from the guy that got the job over him.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He's been a hot commodity for awhile. He has a good offensive system (allegedly.) Your post is a little unnecessary. It would be like Bill Bellicheck hiring Monte Kiffin to be his defensive coordinator or Mike Shanahan hiring Mike Martz as his offensive coordinator. Their styles are totally different and both coordinators could get jobs with another team where they could use their own system.

9. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It doesn't matter cause Kubes makes most of the offensive calls...The OC might suggest a play or set but ultimately Kubes has the final say. Cam doesn't fit our scheme anyways. Anyone can be a phenomenal OC when you got LT running between your takles.

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I think not. Word about town is that Jerry really had to think long and hard before naming Wade Phillips head coach because he really wanted Jason to be the next coach of the Cowboys but was scared away by his lack of experience. He'll most likely promise Jason that he'll be the next in line when Wade leaves in another year or two while bumping him up money-wise, maybe naming him assistant head coach. I just don't see Cameron here at all.

11. MandM's

MandM's Member

soft mentality. No way we need more softness

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Antonio Gates begs to differ.

13. leroy

I meant that the Texans WR's are better than what SD had AND they have a good pass catching TE. Gates is the best TE in the league, IMO.

14. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

He uses a variation of Norv Turners offense.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This is off topic but I was not displeased in the least to see that Dom Capers also got the heave-ho from the Big Tuna.

16. leroy

He may be a terrible head coach, but I think he's pretty well respected as a def. coordinator. This season was just a huge piece of crap for Miami. Nothing went right early and it kind of steamrolled from there. With injuries and just a huge lack of talent, they really had no chance. You keep Chris Chambers while Trent Green, Ronnie Brown, and Zach Taylor stay healthy and they're bound to win a few more games.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Agreed...I've heard the same thing...Cam would be great if we were starting from scratch, but we're tied to the Kubiak way and I think with the right running back we'll be fine next year...

18. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

In my opinion , I think Kyle Shanahan would be a good option too . I was looking a recent issue of ESPN magazine , and they had a small bit in there about some of the young up and coming coaches in the NFL and he was mentioned along with Brian Schottenheimer , and Josh McDaniels the OC with the Pats . I've also heard his name brought up on the subject a few times on national radio broadcast . One of the scenarios mentioned was that he would move up to OC for the Texans for a year or two and then take the OC job in Denver , and eventually take over Dad's job as Head Coach . You never know ? He could be the next big thing , or the next big flop .

19. updawg

updawg Member

Isn't Kyle only a few years out of college? If so, Major has more experience than he does.

20. leroy

He is, but Kyle has also been in and around the NFL nearly all of his life. I'd think that experience trumps Major's. Though, I do think Major is going to be one hell of a football coach at some point.