1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin on James.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jan 6, 2021.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

If this is the MOST TALENTED TEAM since whatever, then it speaks volumes about this organization's ability to build a championship roster because trust me this roster is not it. They will continue to struggle defensively, on the glass and to compete with 50/50 balls because of their lack of size. Ironically the 2018 year you bring up had bigger wings (Ariza, Luc & GG). Size matters friend! LOL.

And I would slow down on the name calling especially if I was the guy spouting off about how Deshaun Watson couldn't throw at one time. The nonsense you spout is incredible sometimes.

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

So why are you crying about him leaving? If he's a quitter and wants out you should be happy right? AND BTW, what's the organization's excuse for not winning a damn thing in 25 years? I'll wait.....

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Maybe should grab a hammy and sit out like Kawhi did.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They'll continue to struggle so long as Harden continues to quit.

Like I said, the entire roster is based around the premise that Harden is a superstar caliber player. If he is that guy, they will do well, when he quits, they won't. If the Rockets got typical performances out of Harden the past 2 games, they'd be sitting at 4-2 right now. Instead they got 2 mediocre to poor performances from Harden and are 2-4. Your whole narrative falls apart if Harden was playing like Harden.

For the record, I was talking about how Watson struggled to read defenses and kept throwing picks as a result.....which was a major problem early in his career. Just because he has finally worked past that, it doesn't mean that wasn't a problem early in his career.

Rockets4Life13 and Ramo$e like this.
  5. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

Who knows how many injuries Harden has played through without using it as an excuse to the public over the years? I know we've seen him roll his ankle several times -- particularly since he started shooting so many step-back threes. And he's missed, if I recall, just that one game over the last X amount of years due to an ankle sprain, tries to tough it out, and Calvin Murphy says he "quit?" -- laughable.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not about him wanting out, it's about his lack of character. As a Harden simp, you don't hold that against him, I do. He's tanking his value AND killing a would-be contender with his lack of professionalism. To everyone but Harden simps, that's a problem.

blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  7. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Harden has been known to play through them, often. Rockets should have never done this. They should have stuck to the extra precautionary procedures. There is no way to tell how hurt he is for you to assume. Ankle rolls have levels to this **** man. If it was a minor roll he might have dropped 60.

8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The team isn't that good. Get over it.

Watson has been a baller since DAY 1. Nice try. ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

9. dmoneybangbang

I mean..... Harden didn't necessarily come into this season in great shape and with a clear focus towards winning as a Rocket.

Rockets4Life13 and Ramo$e like this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not exactly true. He always had potential, but he came into the league throwing way too many interceptions and taking way too many sacks due to holding on to the ball too long.

We'd see the good and get excited, but the bad was always there too. He's worked past most of that now, but let's not just blow the guy while ignoring the bad that he's worked hard to overcome.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This is VERY TRUE. He's wasn't getting the best advice.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The one article suggested he would take a day or two off whenever he was on a road game and in a city with top strip clubs.

I guess that cries 'relying on talent' for a longer stretch.

13. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He looks worse now. He will truly get the opportunity to win a championship once his contract ends. He can join a real championship star player and be a role player off to the side of him.

14. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

The difference was the Rockets were the 6th seed (last seed in the West), and Calvin was a reserve at that time in his career. Totally different situation buddy. And no the 81 Rockets were not good enough to beat the Celtics in the Finals that year. I just told you that they had a losing record (they were lucky to just make the playoffs and extremely lucky to make it all the way to the Finals). But I'll tell you this much, at least that 81 Rockets team didn't give up 10 and 11 point leads going into the halftime against Boston unlike what the 2018 Rockets did against the Warriors. And yes we were supposed to beat the Warriors that year, we had beaten them already 2-1 in the regular season, and only lost Game 7 at home mind you by single digits.

15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Lol ok. You lost me at, I didn't watch the game. Let's not act like the harden haters are any better than Harden supporters aka fans. Yall love to just look for anything so you can trash the guy too. You don't get to pretend to be objective.
    Numbers don't mean anything but what someone said while he wasn't aware he would be caught on camera means everything. I'll take a player who on his off / quit day throws up 15 and 12 cause I guarantee you whoever you get to replace him would be praised for those stats but hey its all good bc Calvin prob won't say he quit.
    Lastly I will defend/support harden as long as he is a rocket bc I am a rockets fans not a hof

HP3 likes this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The guy was good from day 1. You were wrong.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH, whatever you say killer.

I just can't take people seriously when hero worship blinds them to reality.

18. Poonwalker

Poonwalker Member

The biggest problem the Rockets have had is having multiple players being out due to Covid and injuries which has required 5 different starting lineups on a team that is trying to bring in new players as well as a new coach and system without a significant preseason or offseason to practice. You are acting like Harden is the only player that is responsible for winning a game.

19. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Harden's not bringing much to the table now these days, so I'm cool with that notion. At this point it's just all a formality anyway. Let's get on with it and stop wasting everybody's time.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The entire roster is based on the premise that Harden is a superstar caliber player, not just a role player. In the past 2 games, Harden has played like a role player, being almost invisible for the entire first half. If Harden plays like Harden, those games are wins despite the shuffling of the deck chairs that has been going on.

We're not talking about playing amazing teams the past 2 games, we're talking about the Mavs and Pacers. With Harden playing like Harden, those games are wins and the narrative is completely different right now. Instead, Harden quit.