1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Calvin Murphy: "Where was Jeremy Lin?"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by munco, Nov 16, 2012.

1. MKL

MKL Member

But Pringles learned from his mistake. He admitted to it publicly.

Sampson is still like, lolz, eye test. He still think he did the right thing after the loss.

2. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

If Sampson is one phonecall away on the depth-chart from being named interim head coach, it doesn't say much for McHale choice of staff. McHale should be back on some other team's front office offloading stars to Danny Ainge's team.

McHale and company thrashed the Rockets in '86 in the Finals. Do we really want this Rocket killer as head coach? Surely there's loyalty and then there's old rivalries that shouldn't entertain such a hire. But, then again, Morey was a Celtic employee just before Les signed him.

3. MKL

MKL Member

Adelman is one of the best coaches after timeouts and in close games. Rockets this year lost almost every close game within 5 points.

Lets talk about ISO Harden every play in OT and clutch situation? Imagine the last 2 games w/o Morris on fire hitting 3s.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

If you're going to make comparisons between the Rockets staff and the Knicks staff, at least learn your Rockets history first. I mean, this is a Houston Rockets board and all, you know? The Rockets decision-making last season was as followed.

1. The Rockets would trade Dragic to New Orleans and felt comfortable with Jeremy Lin backing up Lowry. In other words, they thought Lin could play backup minutes even simply after training camp.

2. The Rockets felt that Lowry and Dragic were both superior to Lin. This still holds true today.

3. The Rockets felt that if they let Lin go, they can re-sign him later on once Flynn gets traded as salary filler. And they were mostly correct, except for the once in a decade Knicks PG situation.

4. The Rockets made these decisions after no offseason and basically no training camp. The Knicks had months of Jeremy Lin on their roster to get a feel for his game. The Rockets had like a week.

Comparing Rockets talent evaluation with D'Antoni's is an absolute joke. It's not even close. The Rockets may not have forsaw Linsanity, but they sure as hell understand talent more than Pringles ever did.

5. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Finally a smart cookie. Agreed.

6. MKL

MKL Member

Pringles is coach of the Lakers. Rockets have Sampson that can't even manage simple rotations.

Hmm.. I wonder who has more credibility?

Say what you want, the Knicks got into the playoffs with major contribution from Lin. The Rockets lost almost all their games during the season end, this is with Star Dragic, that replaced Star Lowry.

7. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

You are arguing for the sake of argument, and switching topic as well.

Sure, coach D is better than Sampson. What does that have anything to do with the fact that Rockets went through all the evaluation with Lin and had a plan for him, given the situation? It didn't work out quite as planned. Knicks were desperate for a PG, and Jeremy peaked at the right moment. He saved coach D's ass for another few weeks, and saved Knicks' season to some extend.

It wasn't coach D discovered Lin from nowhere and made him the captain.

BTW, Mike Brown was Lakers' coach before D'Antoni, beside asking everyone to give the ball to LeBron and Kobe, what else has he ever coached? Being a Lakers' coach doesn't automatically qualify you as a top talent scout.

What was the point you tried to make?

8. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Well, he HAD to say that they both played well. Otherwise he'd be admitting he looked like a complete fool by playing Douglas in OT inside of Lin. Oh what I'd give to be a fly on the wall in Morey's office the morning after.

I'm guessing for Sampson, it's like waking up with a very bad hangover and not being able to believe they got into bed with someone so ugly. (metaphorically speaking)

9. Karolik

Karolik Member

Knicks didn't think crap about Lin. In fact they were going to cut him the day before he went off. D'toni just lucked into Lin, he was so reluctant to play him, but he had no choice.

At least the Rockets thought enough about Lin to bring him in for camp.

10. MKL

MKL Member

The latest interview with Pringles in LA, he had nothing but praise for Lin. Even Kobe said that GMs were blind to not sign Lin and Morey and Alexander agreed. These are the reason Lin is a Rocket... again.

Sampson eye test > D'antoni, Kobe, Magic, Morey, Alexander.

11. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

sampson the choke coach hero for chokefans

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

No one forced you to visit this forum. Just leave and go to your magical Jeremy Lin discussion group. I'm sure there are one or ten on the internet. There, you can discuss your hero in a much more unskewed, fair and balanced setting.

13. instar

instar Member

I guess sampson's getting alot of heat for his decision to sub TD instead of lin. i think it was def a mistake and most of coaches in this league would've stuck with their starting pg. but he has guts to take his starting pg out in most critical minutes and do whatever it takes to win a game. u gotta respect that. anyways, he's just an interim coach and once our beloved old coach comes back, u don't have to deal with his crap anymore.

14. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

You know, Toney is a nice guy and he's got a wife and baby. If they waive him, to be honest, I think he's out of the league. Livingston got picked up by the Wizards, which is not surprising at all.

They may be giving Toney a chance to prove something. He was terrible on the Knicks, but maybe they want to see if he can contribute something here, before deciding to waive him or not.

Deadline is coming up, and I would bet money that Morey's making some moves.

Anyway, from all indications, Harden/Asik/Lin seem to be the core players. Maybe I'm wrong, but you don't offer $25 million poison pills to the Bulls and Knicks just to trade those players away. So how they treat Lin has to be looked at in a big picture way, rather game to game.

Toney has a lot more to be worried about than Jeremy. I think the organization wants to win games if they can, but I have this gut feeling it's not their priority.

15. IdoTLV

IdoTLV Member

If point (1) was true, it would have been mentioned publicly. JLin was available. (2) Morey's #1 priority is to win games. You do NOT "experiment" at the price of "yeah, if we lose, we lose". (3) Again, "team assessment" is something you get throughout the games. In crunch you do ALL YOU CAN to WIN. (4) That may be true, but that means the coaching staff is blind and stupid (5) I don't know what you're talking about. It is SIMPLE. "WHO CAN WIN THIS GAME FOR US?" that's the Q. The answer is Lin over Douglas. Period. (6) again, general remark that has nothing to do with the game time decision to prefer a 9, 1, 2 over a 11, 11, 6, 2blk, who also has a celebrated ability to finish games in crunch time.

When those 6 points you wrote live to see the benching of James Harden in OT, your words will be worth more than 2 cents.

16. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

I don't interpret it as "Sampson had the guts to take Lin out...". I think he panicked after Lilliard went off.

Just like he panicked and forgot to put Asik back in near the end of the game two games ago.

But he's just a substitute, showing he's not readily head coach material.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Terrible. Just terrible.

Tony Douglas will be the death of me.

The Portland loss is on one man. Sampson.

18. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Whoa, that chick is kinda scaring me.

If Les were smart, he'd market a different line of products like: posters, Teen Beat-like fanzine about Lin and Parsons, and those "husband pillows" that women can sleep next to.

19. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

[​IMG]

20. BraveFox

BraveFox Member

[​IMG]