1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy: "Where was Jeremy Lin?"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by munco, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I'd wait for a few more games for that conclusion but so far, according to synergy stats, Lin is an elite defender at his position.

2. Luca

Luca Member

Lmao, you guys are hilarious but yep the coach's decision is very frustrating.

3. just a word

just a word Member

Every time you post I love you just a little bit more. :grin:

4. just a word

just a word Member

That's the thing with TD. He tricks you with the occasional flash of, "this guy might be useful."

And then he fails the rest of the time, everywhere.

5. 34to11

34to11 Member

It's obvious where you stand on the issue so I'm not trying to convince you otherwise. I was just pointing out the magnitude of that statement.
    Objective fans will get it, you might not.

6. 34to11

34to11 Member

Could not the same be said of Jeremy Lin thus far?

7. slickster

slickster Member

I don't need synergy to tell me that; Lin has a knack (almost typed knick) for picking up steals and has ability to get around screens is far superior compared to last season. He's also an outstanding rebounder for a PG. His passing has just been crazy as well.

He still knows how to shoot, but that POS sampson has done a great job of forcing Lin to take shots he doesn't want to take, in situations and in a style which totally work against him.

Get Lin a real coach and watch his confidence and scoring sky"rocket."

8. Akim523

Akim523 Member

No. You are delusional if you remotely think it could be said about Lin.

9. 34to11

34to11 Member

You guys are calling Jeremy Lin an elite defender with supreme court vision who is comparable to Jason Kidd and Rajon Rondon and who only shoots poorly due to bad coaching... and I'm the one who's delusional????

10. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Define "you guys".

No I've never said he's comparable to Jason Kidd nor Rajon rondo, by saying that you basically proved yourself that you are truly delusional, good job though.

Read my post again you actually understand English, what I said was according to synergy stats Lin is an elite defender at his position, but because of the small sample size I'd give him a few more games before calling him one.

11. GideonC

GideonC Member

I'd say the closest NBA comparison to Lin right now is Mike Conley (true for both of them: good pure shooter with nice ft% and 3p% but has somewhat low fg% because of frequency of contested/difficult shots, speedy with quick hands, above avg rebounder for position, high BBIQ, about even offensive and defensive impact/win shares... quiet team-first guy with great attitude, overall good starting PG with very good ballhandling, passing, and floor general skills, but not quite at all-star level at this stage of career)...

It's just not a comparison most people seem to think of often, because they people usually try to match up superficial appearance/skin color when comparing players.

12. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

weak. LOHs always take things out of context, twist people's words, and exaggerates.

13. kastuul

kastuul Member

It's not about Lin or TD is better defender.
    If the opponent is hot-handed, we can use Parsons on him.

Nash is not a bad defender. His team won't replace him with backups many times.
    He must be on the floor because he makes the offenses better.

14. wendzall

wendzall Member

though i'm a newbie, i hope i can share a perspective that hasn't been much discussed. i've been reading a lot of posts on clutch and by far the majority seem to interpret things negatively. i.e. a player doing something wrong or not doing something right, coaches making horrible decisions, etc. but how about just as an exercise in something different, we try to give everyone the benefit of doubt and assume all their actions are well intended? how about just looking at three examples?

1) coaching: maybe they're trying the best they can with a small number of set plays. considering the whole roster was revamped, i suspect it's not easy to get all players coordinated on more than a small number of plays. likely with each game and each practice they are adding one or two solid plays. i even remember this point was discussed by coach mchale. this may have some bearing on why iso plays are so dominant as they require little coordination, just spacing of players. we could try to be positive and trust that the coaching staff are adding plays and adjusting as the season progresses. in fact, by the end of the season this period of adjusting may pay positive dividends. once they get adjustments in imagine how difficult it will be for defending teams who've prepared only for hardin isos.

2) hardin "heroball" is not likely a planned strategic choice but a stop gap while the team tries to form chemistry, learn roles, and plays. we all want to see ball movement and team ball and i bet so does hardin and the coaching staff. i don't think hardin is going out there thinking i am going to be the hero. the iso's come in the heat of the moment and the flow of a fast game without much time to plan and without many plays to draw upon. he's learning and when they get the plays i'm sure the coaches will decrease the iso's.

3) jeremy lin's woeful and low shooting, as well as supposed lack of "aggressiveness" may be result of a combination two things. one is possibly a desire to focus on the weaknesses that everyone criticized him for: defense, turnovers, not enough playmaking. it's a rare player that has the energy to play both offense and defense at a high level. as a mirror, consider hardin's sometimes spotty defense which reflects the energy he expends on offense. a second reason for jeremy's less than stellar play may be his knee and recovery.

i know there are many more issues to be made especially after the ot loss to portland. but i hope to enjoy the ride and see how the season goes. i've always liked, underdogs, and teams that overcome difficulties and have never really enjoyed teams that dominate the whole season. there just isn;t a good story there. any that's just my humble.

1 person likes this.
  15. Cautiously_Op

Cautiously_Op Member

How does the Rox number crunchers reconcile tonight's stat sheet? Do they use Sampson as a footnote to why the team's starting PG, on his way to a triple double, was benched because Sampson "thought" that Douglas would be a better defender on a guy who was lighting it up no matter who was guarding him? How does a coach make the excuse that Douglas, a lesser defender, is to replace your starting PG with all around better skills, performing as well as he had tonight, because he "thought" Douglas would be able to better defend Lillard? Because Douglas was more verbose and said he could keep Lillard out of the paint?! What a mess. Just sad.

16. 34to11

34to11 Member

The rudeness of your responses are a clear indicator that any hopes for civil discourse and objective exchange are pointless. But then, honestly, that was already evident from your earlier posts.
    So I'll just say this; for the sake of the Rockets, I hope J Lin one day becomes what some of you believes he already is.
    So far it doesn't look promising.

1 person likes this.
  17. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Seriously the ot thing is not about lin or td . its about the coach .
    U can hate and complain and fantasize all you want. It OT decision was illogical and only the coach is in position to explain his reason.

As of now its a mystery.

18. 34to11

34to11 Member

It's no mystery. It has already been addressed. He liked their chances defensively better with Douglas than Lin in that particular situation.
    Nothing strange, foreign, or "illogical" about it.

19. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Eh, 49th out of 400+ players in the NBA seems decently good.

From another post:

20. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

I could take your comment as a personal attack, but to some extent every fan is subjective. My assumption is that you believe that you are objective? And how many PGs would you rather take defensively over Lin at this time?