1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy thoughts on Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BackNthDay, Apr 20, 2010.

1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Met Calvin Murphy this weekend at the AAU track meet on the Seven Lakes High School field and asked him some questions on the Rockets.

1. His thoughts on Aaron Brooks: "Excellent scorer, however, shoots too much for PG, needs to orchestrate more of the offense with a 2 guard like Martin. Not sure if he has the skills to be a playmaker the Rockets need."

2. Should we include Scola in a trade for Bosh: No way in H!!! Scola is not afraid of anyone and plays tough night in/out. Doesn't care about titles of players, just makes it happen against the best." "The team does need a better backup for Yao, loves Chuck but the undersize 5 position will hurt in playoffs, see Bynum and Gasol."

3. Will the Rockets advance past 2nd round with Yao returning: "No, the team doesn't have enough defense to make stops when they are needed in the playoffs"

4. Greatest Rocket of all time. "Him", I said come on Calvin, the Dream, "Ok, the Dream then myself."

3 people like this.
  2. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

i kinda agree with everything except the last one

3. hoplite

hoplite Member

Nice post!

I'd have to agree with everything he said, well except the last answer :). I found it interesting how he viewed ab0, bc he really won't be the first or second option next year with Yao back and we really need someone to set up both Yao and km.

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Spot on...sadly if we get Bosh, Scola will probably be the bait.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Pics or it didn't happen.

That's funny if true that Murphy would say that about Brooks, since he was always a score-first PG and only averaged 4.4 assists on his career.

Brooks actually has a chance to become a better passer than Murphy ever was, IMO. Though he still has quite a way to go to match his scoring ability!

6. hoplite

hoplite Member

and that's why I feel we shouldn't go after bosh IMO, we'd be giving up too much for a marginal upgrade and I don't believe he warrants the pay he's likely to receive. He's not strong enough to play any back up 5 out west IMO.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

exactly, pot meet kettle

8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

His answer about defense and point guard play was spot-on.

Kevin Martin being such a favorite and two-year target for Adelman and Morey, I can't help but wonder if Aaron Brooks will get dangled in a trade. Not that I necessarily think Lowry and, say, Eric Bledsoe with the #14 pick (hypothetical) would do the trick at PG, but wouldn't Aaron thrive next to a high-assist SG like Iguodala or Steven Jackson or Brandon Roy (not that I'd do anything to help Portland improve).

As good as he was this year, Aaron could be that player who nabs a top 10 draft pick or Bosh (not that Bosh = defense).

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Funny how Calvin talks about AB shooting too much for a point guard...considering that is how he made his living......

He played some SG, some PG, but his role was always the same....shoot.

DD

10. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I thought about taking a pic with Calvin, however, just didn't feel it was necessary. It was good enough having a great conversation with him. Plus, I'm not one to fabricate for the sake of posting. Not a joy of mines!

11. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

I dont think AB shot too much. He had to who does calvin think should have taken more shots? Our offense was limited this year without yao

Ariza?lol
    Battier?lol
    I do think there was time this year were AB took some dumb shot when he should have been feeding it to scola

1 person likes this.
  12. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I don't know too much about what the team looked like then... but maybe that Rockets team needed Calvin's scoring...

This Rockets team won't need AB to avg 20ppg next season.

13. caneks

caneks Rookie

Agree on first three, totally.

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Thats why we have to trade him this off-season before his value decreases!! ;)

--RB

15. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Where is Calvin Murphy working right now? I miss his sport radio show. At least he can talk some meaningful stuff about the rockets, and make some topics funny.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Disagree with Calvin on all points. I loved his commentating, and believe he has a lot of knowledge with the game. But talent evaluation and GM material, the guy's not.

Still prefer him over Bull/Clyde on TV though.

Come on. Calvin was a shooting guard. He wasn't really the playmaker. I think he feels this way because he's old school. And back then, point guards really are just distributors rather than combo guards these days.

17. DaDakota

He was the Rockets all time assists leader for years, may still be.......

DD

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Bring Murph back. :mad:

The man is innocent. :rolleyes:

19. YallMean

YallMean Member

:grin: I know. I was thinking the same. It's different from the sideline.

20. DaDakota

You just know he is thinking that if he played with AB, he wouldn't get as many shots....lol.

DD