1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy telling it like it is

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballplayer, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Buck Turgidson

Calvin Murphy is not a good human being. The constant hero-worship is baffling to me.

1 person likes this.
  2. Hmm

Hmm Member

That's right... Buck was there, and saw it all...

Smarten them up to the facts, Buck...

3. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

I agree with everything he said

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Buck you may be right, but Calvin stating something that is correct is irrelevant to that point.

5. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

you have to be a good human being to know basketball now?

6. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

ROFLMFAO

7. Rocketeer Bang

I think you are giving Harden a little too much credit. There are very few times during his two-year stint in Houston that Harden has ever demonstrated his leadership qualities. For the most part, he doesn't really look to get his teammates involved on offense unless he's out of options. I have always thought that Harden is a stats player in that he'll only do things that show up on a stat sheet. Things that don't show up like defense, well, he practically disappears. I am also not sure about him taking the burden on himself, rather than that he wants to get in on highlight reel and thus his persistence to hero ball, even at the expense of his team winning. He rarely shoulders any blame after a loss, and he's the ultimate one way player during games as he often takes himself out during defensive possessions.

Our so-called system is innately flawed. Not sure if this is a product of "Moreyball" or just plain incompetence by McHale. We have no set play called for anyone not name Howard or Harden. And with with those two, it's pretty much dump them the ball, everybody spread out, and watch them do their things. There is no flow or movement whatsoever. To be able to get 1st round home court in a tough WC while covering for all of Harden's defensive deficiencies is a testament to just how talented a team we really have.

8. Rocketeer Bang

You know what it boils down to? as much as I'd hate to admit, but i really think our two "star" players are just selfish players. I mean, what other reasons could explain their lack of ball movement and always forcing shots up? When the ball gets in Howard or Harden's hands, how often do they pass out to an open teammate? I mean, when they proactively look for an open option, not when they're stonewalled and out of option and just dump the hot potato away. Our "stars" are too much into themselves, even when they don't unnecessarily have developed an unstoppable go-to move that you know it's nails. Well, Harden sort of has it with his step back, or his Euro step drive that largely depends on refs calling fouls, but his success rate takes a huge dip when his opponent guards his left. Notice how whoever guards him in this series from the Blazers, they make a concerted effort to take away his left gateway, and Harden doesn't have the move from the right to counter it.

Do you see Duncan, Manu, or Parker looking to pat their stat sheet because they have an unwavering desire to get their points? they move the ball until it finds an open teammate, doesn't matter who it is. Just can't say the same about our stars.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

It all boils down to coaching. You used Duncan, Parker and Manu as an example, well pimpn they have an no nonsense type of a coach who will not tolerate selfish behavior. Coach Pop demands the respect from every player on his team starting from the Superstars all the way to the players playing in the D-league. Pop knows how to get the best out his players and his players have bought into his system. McHale on the other hand is too friendly with his players. He allows them to do what they want to do. They haven't bought into McHale's system period. McHale also doesn't demands the same type of respect Pop demands.

10. Barkley123

Barkley123 Member

Damn 100 kids and he can still afford a suit like that :)

11. J Hard

J Hard Member

Wow, you believe any garbage spewed through media outlets. Ignorance personafied.

12. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

If you are going to drop judgement can you explain further?

13. Moleb

Moleb Member

What the heck man, get your facts right. Uncalled for.

14. Hmm

Hmm Member

What for..? When dropping judgment without explanation is much more fun..!

For example:

Woody Allen loves sexing preteens....