1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy says The Rockets will extend McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EssTooKayTD, Dec 3, 2008.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

b/c we need more than just one player's A game to advance in the playoffs. we need at least 3-4 guys' A games at the minimum.

2. AXG

AXG Member

No way. The dude's always hurt and dumping huge dollars on one guy is going to really limit the team's resources from getting other good peices. Not to mention, he's been on the decline and unless he's like the 3rd or 4th option, the team is going to rely too heavily on a man who can't lead the team out of the first round of the playoffs.

3. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

Tinman, you're a Rockets history god. :)

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

TMac's contract will expire, just like Hakeem's last one did. No way it gets extended. That doesn't mean we won't resign him as a free agent, just like we tried to convince Hakeem to do.

I'm assuming Calvin meant a free-agent resigning vs contract extension.

5. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Yeah I posted again in this thread saying I may have misinterpreted Calvin's words. FA signing definitely makes more sense, but still. I know many around here hate the thought of keeping the guy around, regardless of cost.

6. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

OMR - c'mon... any one man's A game isn't enough. why can people not understand this concept?

what about Jordan or Hakeem? all those years they played their A game and didn't advance? we probably shouldn't have re-signed them either by your logic.

by all means be critical - i personally think tmac's a little narcissistic and very much a pampered celebrity, but though he's the leader of the team, you'd have a hard time pluggin in someone else for tmac and guaranteed me victory for any of those series.

not when rafer builds many houses of bricks. not when yao doesn't box out. not when there's no scoring punch from the bench.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bad analogy.

Dream in year 2 made it to the NBA Finals by defeating the defending champions.

Jordan lost to the Pistons and Celtics, both teams full of hall of famers.

Tmac in Houston lost to the Utah Jazz and Dallas Mavericks.

8. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

both utah jazz and the dallas mavericks were better equipped than a tmac with his "A" game and a bunch of scrubs back then.

however, this year, tmac doesnt have a reason not to advance because he has a bunch of good players around him. so if by the first round, the rockets are complete and injury free and tmac still doesnt advance, then we can really agree that tmac is a failure.

9. Pringles

Pringles Member

I say so far Tmac has been a failure because he has been injured. When people look at Grant Hill with his stint in Magic, they don't really say success, now do they?

And I wouldn't call Yao Ming a scrub, and we were talented enough to take the series to game 7, nevertheless we were talented enough to be up 2-0 in both series. (not counting last one)

We'll see how it goes. This man does not deserve anywhere near the 22 million in 2010, heck... he doesn't deserve it now.

Tracy brings us a championship, I still say he is not worth 22 million. Mainly because it took him to bring in Artest, Brooks, Landry, a new coach, and several other players just to get passed the first round.

10. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

... ok.

KEVIN GARNETT.

either way i think great players are hard to come by. NBA players mature just like us 'regular' people do. i think tmac's experience in houston has been one of growth. i think he'll end up proving alot of the doubters wrong in the end, but to do so he will have to play with a great team.

if this was a cut and dry "do i sign macgrady or lebron?" type decision, well then by all means lebron is my personal lord and savior. but resigning tmac for the talent that he is, the potential he still has, and his performance during his tenure in houston has to be priority number 1 until we've got someone else to get in here and take up the slack.

i just get the feeling everyone on this board wants to blow the whole thing up and start over when macgrady comes off the books.

well said and i agree.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lebron. easy. I mean really really easy.

12. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Save the money make a run at the '10 free agent class. That's what I'd do.

13. machange

machange Member

over over over 911

14. JVG>Adelman

JVG>Adelman Member

I'd rather we go after Wade in 2010. Wade + Yao = Championship.

15. mm.z_from_china

i think tmac will come back strongly!

just pray for him!

:)

16. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

what makes you so sure. les has shown that he will go over the salary cap if its means championships and if we get to at least the WC i think he'll do it.

17. erlang

erlang Member

may i ask, how can you be so sure?

18. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

yeah resign for less than 5 mill a year

19. thesaint

thesaint Member

I think Tmac will retire after his contract is up.

20. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

No. Let him and Yao both walk and get some real players in here. With the amount of cap space the Rockets will have and available free agents that summer, the Rockets can reload instead of rebuild.