1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy says The Rockets will extend McGrady

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by EssTooKayTD, Dec 3, 2008.

1. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

This season is not the time to give T-Mac a contract extension IMO. I feel that next season is the time for Daryl Morey to make a decision with T-Mac or the team as to what direction to go.

2. GMAC

GMAC Member

Yao, TMac, Artest....keep em together, please! :cool:

3. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Not sure how this is newsworthy. Calvin Murphy hasn't ever said anything that would lead one to believe he possesses any more insight than the average poster on this board. If you actually believe Daryl Morey has already reached the decision to extend McGrady, adamant to the point that Calvin Murphy would possess some kind of info about it, I have a few shares of Lehman Brothers you might be interested in.

4. battousai

battousai Member

Extension? Shouldn't this be done thru by the GM, Morey?

Owner can ask GM to give extension, but the GM is the one going thru the hoops with player and his agent.

Anyway, If I am a smart owner/GM, I wouldn't extend Tmac at this point for anywhere close to his current salary. If I am Tmac's agent, I wouldn't accept anything close to his current salary with a long term contract.

The year 2010-2011, is the big FA year. Why would we extend Tmac now? it is like we just take ourselves off the big market for FA. Granted both Tmac and Yao will draw interests, it is the money that will get people to listen.

I say we should talk about extensions this upcoming summer.

5. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

I couldnt agree, if we resign Yao Tmac and Artest who can we get, or just keep the same lineup as we are now?

Yao come from China, have helped Alexander earned much money by ads and co-operations, so I think Yao may stay, even though in the year 2010 Yao is 30 years old.

While Tracy, first, I must admit that he is a good guard when he can keep healthy, if not, he may I just didnt make sure can he past the 1st round, this season is a good chance for him, for Yao still. But if he cant, leave maybe his only way, although Les love him very much. Mostly important the NBA league is full ofcommerical. We cant predict what will happen later.

Artest have played 18 games for Rockets(I forget which game he missed), 15 points per game with a shooting percentage of 34.4%(free throw 73%). Here I neednt to say more, they are too many threads posted in this form.

So in concludion, I trend to say we may keep two of the three at most, but Tracy or Artest is not sure..

6. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Les has already stated that he wanted Tracy to retire as a Rocket. Tracy has spoken about his relationship with Les. Tracy was there when they were drafting Dorsey in their little room deciding who they were going to pick. He was asked if they should do the Artest trade and things like that. Tracy has a great relationship with the Rockets. I could see the Rockets signing him again but not for the max. I could see $14mil a year. Tracy brings in a lot of money for the Rockets.

I'm not sure if Artest will be here next year. A lot depends on how we do this year. Artest could and should make more money with other teams than the Rockets can do. The end result is going to be how great they can do this year. Then again, he might jump ship so he can be a team where he is the primary focus. It all depends. I just hope it's nothing like 5yr/$10mil.

7. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

My Peoples, My Peoples. OJ is innocent, Vick shouldn't be in prison and Les is going to re-sign T-Mac.

Calvin is an idiot. The Rockets canned his ass and there is no love between anyone in that organization and Calvin. See how many have been on his show?

Calvin regularly contradicts himself, sometimes within the same rant. He is always talking about teaching everyone basketball because he played it and must know more than anyone that didn't play. BS. Some of his ideas are idiotic. Morey is much too smart to re-sign T-Mac before the team gets out of the first round. They have this year and next to win a championship or T-Mac will be gone in 2010.

Calvin the dumbest of all timmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmes.

8. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

TIME OUT FOLKS!!!!

Think about it! What is Les going to say???

"NO, We will NOT resign T-Mac. We HATE him"

Makes no iota of business sense in the world to say that. Makes EVERY iota of business sense to say the otherwise.

Opposite case in point - the dysfunctional Knicks and Stephon Marbury. They've given up on him. Even bashed him publicly. Everything just reeks of desperation. Classless.

Rockets???

Very classy. And even beyond better biz sense, I take Les at his word. I think he and this organization has been sincere in every respect of dealing with people. Just ask JVG. And look at how he was treated in NY. (I swear NY didn't deserve a great coach like JVG)

:D

theSAGE

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I wouldn't offer more than 3 years @ $10M. And that's awfully kind. He's honestly worth more along the lines of 2 years @ $7M given his steep decline.

Evan

10. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

he's resigning tmac because he likes him?

he should sign up Joel Osteen. People like him.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

There is no way that Morey would extend him without knowing the knee condition is not chronic....

DD

12. HCoog

HCoog Member

Yes calvin murphy definitely has inside information he also told me the sky was blue.

13. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I think it should also be mentioned, I believe Calvin was saying that this would be after his contract runs out. Not that they would extend him right now. That would be silly.

All this thread is saying is that Calvin *believes* that's what will happen, much to the anguish of many Anti-McGrady. I just thought it was an interesting comment by him, and thought it would make for some decent discussion.

14. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

I'd wait till the end of the season, but if you can get Tmac for about 3-5 years at right under 10 million. We have to be the only team in the league that isn't getting reamed up the ass by these young up and coming stars robbing their GMs for money every season. You have Iguidala getting 15 mill, Bogut getting 15 mill, Deng getting 15 mill. Tmac looks like a steal in that case.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

ow much, for how long? 3/36 would be fine by me.

16. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

That is good news.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Morey has said all along that the plan was to go "all in" for this year and next, and then retool in 2010 with Yao Ming + Wade/Lebron/Bosh/whoever it is they can lure here. Or they might even keep the core intact, if Tmac and Artest get us a ring. To that end they will not extend Mcgrady's contract right now, because if they do that we lose the cap flexibility we will have in 2010. I think Calvin is just making stuff up.

18. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Les loves Tmac until one of the other players, like Bosh, Wade, LeBron, Amare confess an interest in the Rockets. Tmac is gone if one of those players even hint at signing with the Rockets.

19. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

And we thought Matt Maloney's contract was a pain in the ass.

20. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

At least McGrady can play NBA caliber basketball. Other than attracting female fans, I'm not sure what Maloney did on the court other than hitting an occasional 3 and otherwise being routinely eviscerated by the average NBA PG.