1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy - Great Coach

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 28, 2012.

1. SK34

SK34 Member

Whats up clutchfans?

Alright, well I play for a small school on houston area. Mr. Murphy's son goes to my school. Since my school does not have a great basketball team (3 players are pretty good tho, including me). Calvin Murphy decided to come and help our team out. He talked about the game and how you should play, he showes his disgust towards bad free throw shooting. He also helped the team understand the game better. He helped our team for about 1 hr and 30 minutes, but we improved drastically. After practice, we all play challenge with him. And then he gave us a free poster with the 70's team. He is a great person and a great coach.

Just thought about sharing this.

2 people like this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

thanks for sharing. cool story. You probably could have posted this in the GARM, especially if you have pictures.

3. SK34

SK34 Member

Whats GARM? This is my first post.

4. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

GARM stands for Game Action & Roster Moves...it's the section where Rockets-related things are discussed, and Calvin was a career Rocket.

5. SK34

SK34 Member

I would have posted there, then many ppl would end up saying ”wrong forum” blah blah blah

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

maybe maybe no

7. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Great story man, rep

8. SK34

SK34 Member

Well, if you can, can you move it there?

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I remember going to his basketball camp when I was in middle school. Rockets greats like Chris Jent and Richard Petruska made visits as well. I still remember playing him one on one and him kicking my ass. He gave us autographed posters the Rockets had made up when he was inducted into the Hall of Fame.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Shayan, have you taken the PSATs or ACTs yet? Are you considering AP classes or some classes at the community college to get dual high school/college credit? Some people take the Kaplan Prep course for the SATs, others just go to Waldenbooks and get some practice test books.

Are you involved in any community service or leadership activities? These would be great ways to get life experiences that you could put on your scholarship and/or admissions essays. You should also consider really small, private colleges as they might actually be less competitive as far as athletic scholarships.

Also, if you're a senior, you should go ahead and fill out the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) since schools need that to process any grants, scholarships or student loans.

This is a good place to find out about careers. http://www.bls.gov/oco/

Goood Luck!

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

During summer of my sophomore year in high school, my mom signed me up behind my back for a six-week math camp at SWT; and my younger brother and I for a Cody Carlson football camp back in Houston midway through. Early on at the math camp I realized how much I hated watching whites and Asians do four hours of Number Theory every night, and kept on asking my parents to take me home.

Then, when it got to be time for the football camp, my father decided to not take me because he thought I would refuse to go back to math camp afterwards. If you wanted to go back to the math camp the next year, you had to do a year long project and then present it during Spring Break; it was either that or go to ROTC camp in Yuma, Arizona; so that was that.

1 person likes this.
  12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I hope they see this...

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm sure I'm not the only one here that used to go to Whiz Kids camp???

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

No need for PSAT, ACT and other jibber jabber since the OP is going to make the NBA. Hoop dreams man.