1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy for next available coaching staff position

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dTown333, Mar 24, 2002.

1. dTown333

dTown333 Member

I know y'all are gonna bash me for this one, but I really think that man has a lot of knowledge to pass down to this team's young core. He is one of those guys whose concept of the game is founded upon meticulate basics, and that is exactly what a young team needs to be able to succeed. Hey, it worked for Larry Dierker (for a little while), so why not give Calvin a shot?

2. NugzFan

NugzFan Member

yes! get him out of the announcing table on onto the bench!!! :)

3. enbehay

enbehay Member

Calvin would be a great coach. He would make the game fun for these young guys, and they would know when he is dead serious. He could teach the mid-range game and, as was pointed out, the fundamentals. He must make more $$ as a broadcaster.

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Man, that would be crazy to see Cal with his pimpsuits roaming the sidelines as a head coach.

:eek:

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I don't know how you can say 'it worked for Dierker'. The team succeeded despite Dierker, not because of him. Terry Collins made the playoffs too, with less talent.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Astros NEVER made the playoffs under Collins.

1980, 1981 - Bill Virdon
    1986 - Hal Lanier
    1997, 1998, 1999, 2001 - Dierker

7. TheFreak

When did they expand the number of teams that made the playoffs....was that before or after Dierker?

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

They expanded in 95 and Colllins could not make it. Besides youre expansion point does not hold water since the Astros would have made the play offs anyway under Dierker.

9. TheFreak

I think I'm going to stop posting now.

10. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Would this be classified as topic creep:eek:

11. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Ask yourself one question...Who do you think enjoys their job more, Rudy or Calvin?

12. B

B Contributing Member

Calvin doesn't make much money at all compared to Rudy, as a broadcaster. That said, I'd like to see Calvin as an assistant coach somewhere when Bullard retires, so Bullard can take over as the new Rockets broadcaster.

B

13. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Calvin would make a great coach. Not only because of his superior knowledge of the game but also because he knows hot to motivate players.

14. LEWIS LLOYD2

LEWIS LLOYD2 Member

Calvin will never be a coach because he does not like it. He said it before and he will say it again. "I am not a babysitter for grown men"