1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy as color commentator

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsgal, Jan 3, 2015.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Calvin is much better than Drexler, that guy says so many random things it's unbelievable: "when you don't use Dwight, it's like you have a weapon, and you not using....that weapon"...

Why is Leslie so loyal to Drexler?? If you want him to do something for the Rockets just to keep him on, anything but commentary would be FINE! I'm sure most people in Houston don't like him on TV but hey, Leslie fired Calvin as soon as he could even though people loved him (that's why he brought him back, popular demand!!).

2. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I'm not gonna get on the few that don't like Calvin, because we all are entitled to our own oppinions. I will just put it this way, when Calvin was commentator I could watch a whole game even when we were getting blown out, because he and Bill would keep me entertained. Clyde on the other hand have me muting the TV even in close games. It is just too unbearable for me. I would love to see Calvin back next to Bill.

3. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

People have been clamoring for this for years. Get rid of Clyde & Bull & bring back Murph. Uncle Le$ for once should give the masses what they want.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I was going to post that. haha.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I think a couple games a year would be a nice treat for fans.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Calvin is a better color commentator than Clyde because Calvin actually adds color during his commentary even if he goes off topic too often. Clyde just repeats what Bill already says, sometimes phrasings it a little differently.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Murph was great doing the color commentary. Heck, even Van Chancellor was more than solid (3 ball).

Clyde is beyond AWFUL!

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Oh yeah, like old drinking buddies

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think people forget Murph went on too much. At least with Clyde it's not rapid fire commentating all game.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

prefacing it with "That's called" and ending it with "guys"

Clyde is unbearable. I would prefer just Bullard

11. theimpossibles1

I agree with OP et al. Clyde is a great guy and does provide the occasional insight, but he is clearly not broadcast announcer caliber. Give the people what they want!

P.S. Worrell; quit with the moaning and misery routine when things aren't going well.

P.S.S. All announcers; quit with the "free throw jinx" routine, it got old about the second time, yet you do it EVERY GAME. It's not funny, or clever, or anything but annoying.

12. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Aaah, cookies! My family became close w/ Calvin after we flew to Vancouver to watch the Rockets play against the Grizzlies. My mom had cookies baked for Calvin in the shape of jerseys with all the players names.

I had to take the cookies to Calvin & afterwards he took me to the locker room to meet all of the players, then on the court to meet Olajuwon while he was warming up.

We used to hang out, and he’d always say how the players respected him more than Rudy T while he was coaching the Rockets. Rudy wouldn’t listen to him about rotations, plays etc. Rudy and Les wanted him to “stay in his lane”

Calvin always spoke his mind, regardless, and Les didn’t like it. The issue with his daughters was the trigger was all Les needed to get rid of Calvin. Him working the half time, post game stuff is probably so he won’t have influence on players during the games.

1 person likes this.
  13. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

it all depends what you need/want from the broadcast announcer......clearly you lack a good taste with respect with broadcast announcers... Clyde is one of the best...

14. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Our broadcast crew is not very good. Other teams' provide much more insight on the game and players.

15. Celebriduck

Celebriduck Member

I liked Van. Irregardless.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I actually think that Drexler's stupidity adds "color" to color commentary. It's so dumb and so predictable it makes you laugh.

Clyde is like the clown in a circus. You don't really pay attention to him after the age of 5. But it's not a circus without a clown.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've been saying it since I've been here. Bring back Calvin!

Give Murph his turf!!

1 person likes this.
  18. RocketTownHou

RocketTownHou Member

Pappadapalau. Gotta love it! Can you imagine Worrell, Buller, and Murphy together callin' the games! That would be classic!

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Clyde is a highly skilled, consummate professional who performs at a high level, night in and night out. Heh heh heh heh.

20. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Van Chancellor was worse though, that accent of his was just awful.