1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Johnson, WR, Detroit Lions...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by weslinder, Sep 18, 2007.

1. weslinder

weslinder Member

2. Asian Sensation

Fair enough... He will still win rookie of the year. Offensive that is.

3. texanskan

texanskan Member

Kubs is up for coach of the week

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Good job weslinder...

Come on people, lets pull our rookie into first.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He is really good and the Raiders were stuuuuuuupid not to draft him. I don't think JaMarcus Russell will be a great QB.

6. Dubious

Dubious Member

I haven't seen the San Fran game yet this week (NFL network) but I watched Patrick Willis last week and he is a beast. He would have been badass next to DeMeco and I'll predict right now he will be the NFL rookie of the year.

Anybody been able to see some of Reggie Nelson...he was the guy I wanted for the Texans at #10. I guess he would have been starting now with the injuries.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Currently 2nd, with the 49ers rook having a nice lead. Keep voting!

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

Based on the terrible passing quality of the Raiders QBs and Russell's tools and pedigre, they had to take him. Jerry Rice part 2 isn't worth passing on a franchise QB for.

I actually think once Russell gets into the fold (late this year, next year) they will be a mediocre team. A decent defense, some averagish skill players, but terrible QB has killed them 3+ years. And don't let McCown's completion % fool you, high TO rate + leaving lots of plays to be made on the field for Oakland that a stronger armed more accurate fellow would make.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Your comments remind me of the Oden/Durant debate where the team drafting first must take a player because of the position he plays. I just don't see Russell becoming a franchise QB. I do see Calvin Johnson possibly becoming comparable to the great receivers of all time. Russell's "tools" consist of one thing: Incredible arm strength. That ain't enough for me.

Calvin Johnson was the best player in the draft IMO. Time will tell.

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

Russell doesn't just have a great arm. Russell is accurate. Russell is also huge and a fine athlete. While I wouldn't take him over VY, most scouts thought he was the best pro type QB prospect in a number of years.

My only knock on him was at times I thought he would go too much for the big play at LSU, sometimes not as intense and competitive as he could be. Not quite the "it"/"winner"/"leader" factor (for instance in the final year the Auburn and Florida games, Tenn was mixed though he really came through at the end). Basically maybe a tad lacksadaisical because it seems he knows he has so much talent he can bail himself out.

But his tools and upside, definetly those of a potential franchise guy. I think the Raiders did the right thing.

11. Kam

Kam Member

what do you mean by great arm?

like a strong arm?

he threw the ball 80 yards. that's pretty strong.

12. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Member

I don't follow pro football closely and pay even less attention to the draft, but when I found out that our guys drafted him, I was all smiles.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He is athletic mainly in the sense he is very very big for a QB. In a few years, this could be a disadvantage if he gains much weight. Even now, his mobility is average at best. Your comments on his intangibles are another reason I don't have a good feeling about him.

14. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

Calvin Johnson is awesome, that guy is the real deal, the next Moss/Owens without the problems.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yes sir! CJ was/is/always will be the BEST!

edit: ok, maybe Jerry might have somethin to say about that ;)

16. Kam

Kam Member

i just voted.

willis is at 40 percent

mobes is at 20 percent.

when does this close?

we need to post this in the GARM, and tell our Chinese fans to vote.