1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calling CF dentist(s) - toothache

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yo, Mar 9, 2014.

1. yo

yo Contributing Member

I know there's a dentist on the BBS, hoping he comes around. One of my lateral incisors has been very sensitive to the cold, whether it be cold drinks or even stepping outside in the cold weather. I took a piece of ice today and put it against the frontside gum line on the tooth - no pain. Then, put it against the backside gumline - pain. I don't think this is decay/cavity related because I believe the front teeth aren't as prone to that. I also just went to the dentist about 2 months ago for some fillings, with x-rays, no indication of anything on that tooth (at least he didn't say anything), so this seems to be pretty sudden. It was painful for about a week, went away for several days, now back again. Hesitant to go to the dentist since I'm not sure what he could do for me if it's not decay. Any advice?

2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

classic symptoms of HIV

seek medical attention immediately

1 person likes this.
  3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

+1<aaa>

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yup... Aidzlol.

5. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Full blown AIDS I'm afraid

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I have the AIDS, too, except further back in my mouth. My back three teeth on the one side, just to the external side of the tooth. Same symptoms, really. Curious of the answer. I think mine is either sinus related or due to changing to a new mouthwash.

7. itony

itony Member

Did he specifically examine that tooth and take x rays of it? If not then he may not have taken a close enough look. Always tell them anything that's bothering you. If not the dentist then what else can you do? I've heard toothpastes sometimes help? Ie sensodyne etc.

8. BALLhog 247 365

could be trauma related

9. yo

yo Contributing Member

There was no pain when I went a few months ago.

Definitely no trauma. Thinning of the enamel?

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

When you bite down normally, does that front tooth hit the bottom teeth? In a normal case, you are supposed to barely feel any contact on your front teeth when you close all the way. If it is a situation where your front teeth are hitting more than normal, the backside of the upper teeth can wear away, meaning you have less enamel and more exposed dentin...which leads to sensitivity.

Try Sensodyne toothpaste for a couple week, along with mouth wash that has fluoride in it (usually purple in color).

Some times, dental offices wont take an xray on front teeth and they usually stick to the xrays on your back teeth, called bitewings. Not that that occurs often, but maybe they didnt take an xray of that tooth to see if anything was wrong with it.

1 person likes this.
  11. BALLhog 247 365

enamel thinning on the backside of the tooth is probably not going to be localized to a single tooth. do you have bad acid reflux (or are you bulimic)?

12. yo

yo Contributing Member

Thanks!! Hm, I wouldn't say it consistently rubs against the bottom teeth, but it's very close. I could totally see this being the cause. Are there any long term concerns?

13. Salvy

Salvy Member

Sorry to thread steal yo but I was just about to start a thread similar to it because I'm under a lot of unbearable pain like right now...

Anyways, does anyone know a good dentist that wont send me out the door running? As a child I suffered bad experiences with dentist and nothing scares me more than going to a dentist.... The results have been terrible as a filling I once had done fell off and its been off ever sense.. It has hurt every now and then but this weekend has been agony. I know its bad and cant even think about having it pulled all thought its most likely what they are going to have to do..... Don't have dental insurance and I am hurting a lot...Don't know what to do :(...

14. rezdawg

Well, if that is the case, you'd be rubbing away enamel...which will eventually get into the dentin. If you keep rubbing that, you would be getting close to the nerve. Not really sure what the issue is, but, worse case scenario, you may need bonding on the back side of the tooth or a future crown.

15. rezdawg

Come see us if you want...I can prescribe you oral sedation before you get treatment, but you'd have to have a driver. Or, tell me what area you live in and I'll research dentists for you.

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Root Canal's are up to like $700 these days.

*shameless plug*

If you use an exchange to get your ACA health insurance you can add dental for about $30 a month, you get two check ups and cleaning included that would cost about the $360 anyway. But, your major cost coverage does not start right away (a year?) and the annual max payout is pretty small, about $1000. It still makes sense, you will need a root canal in your lifetime.

Why is a root canal necessary?
    http://www.medicinenet.com/root_canal/article.htm

Pain: Pain is the most common symptom of needing a root canal. The pain that comes from a tooth needing a root canal is fairly specific. If the tooth is still alive, it will become extremely sensitive to hot or cold, and will remain sensitive even after the hot or cold stimulus is taken away from the tooth. The tooth may start to hurt spontaneously, in the middle of the night, or sometime when the patient isn't even using the affected tooth to eat or drink. If the tooth is dead and has become abscessed, the patient will feel pain when he or she chews or puts pressure on the tooth.

17. rezdawg

We get tons of patients that come in needing a root canal without having insurance. Our cost is usually in the $2000 range with root canal, build up, and crown. Insurance is a big money saver unless you have a solid grill.

18. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Sent you a message. Hope you feel better!

1 person likes this.
  19. VanityHalfBlack

I booked an appt with Doctor Sanjar at West Houston Dentistry last week, terrified that I had to get a tooth extraction, my wisdom tooth to be precise, I went in thinking it was going to be the worst experience ever almost close to the holocaust (Yes going to the dentist is as painful as the holocaust) and lo and behold, Doctor Sanjar numbed me up real good and he gave me laughing gas, hahahhahah! Not just a little sniff here and there, I was on laughing gas the whole time, dude I was so fukked up like you would't believe, I was laughing the whole time there was no pain at all. He even gave me a 5% discount for the total operation and he also let me take the whole tank home if I promise to bring it back the next day which I still haven't. Sorry Doctor Sanjar I'll bring it by your office this afternoon, this laughing gas will get you fukked up bruh!

20. rezdawg

Come on now, I give better discounts than that. :grin:

1 person likes this.