1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Calling all the pit masters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NateNate, Apr 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Amateurs.....

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

what is this grilling you are talking about?

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I need to get a new grill. Should I spring for a big green egg? Is it suitable for steaks/burgers/etc, or if that's what I typically grill should I just get another propane grill?

4. updawg

updawg Member

Green eggs ate awesome for that and smoking. And stuff like making pizza

1 person likes this.
  5. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

Had Rocketman95 and a few other friends over Saturday for the Final 4 games. Fired up the smoker and did 3 beer can chickens. We also threw on some buffalo and venison sausage from Midway food market in Katy. Put the chicken on for 3.5-4 hrs anywhere from 225-250 degrees, threw the sausage on for about 1 hr. I used the Garlic rub from the Salt Lick that you can find at HEB, just make sure you get between the skin and the meat. I did have to inject the chicken with a small amount of margarine since my temp gauge has come loose and I don't really know what the exact temp is. I have done it enough where a can eyeball the chicken and tell when it is done. The food turned out much better than the Rockets game that night.

6. ontherox21

ontherox21 Member

You might look into getting a pellet grill like a Traeger. I love mine and pretty much use it for everything. From chicken to brisket to skillet corn bread. The only time I touch my gas grill is if I want to sear steaks as the Traeger only hits to about 450*.

7. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Midway butchers do it right.

8. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

Fired up the pit on Sunday and smoked a 18 lb turkey. First time smoking a turkey but it turned out great! Brined it for 18 hours, then used dry rub under and on skin. Smoked for 10 hours at 220-230 degrees breast side down. I am thinking that I should brine my whole chickens as well, does anyone else brine chickens? They cook for only a few hours and I am wondering if it will make a real difference.

9. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

It makes a difference on everything from chicken t*tties to shrimp.

1 person likes this.
  11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

12. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

go, taste, you'll come back a changed man.

14. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

Thanks MoonDogg, I will definitely do that next time. Back to the turkey, someone suggested that I wrap the turkey in a cheese cloth to hold in moisture. Would this help? Moisture was not an issue but the more the better.

15. updawg

updawg Member

Doubtful

16. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

cheesecloth works well for holding in the moisture. Take it off a little while before the turkey is done so you will get some nice color.

Nothing personal, but....

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I doubt I'll ever head up to NYC anytime soon, but thanks. There's somewhat of a BBQ movement up there - probably because it wasn't very common. There's a place I read about not too long ago called BrisketTown that a guy opened up after trying Mueller's BBQ and talking to them on photography tour in the South. He instantly became hooked on BBQ and decided to try his hand at it.

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Lol...what Behad said.

Im a big fan of water smoking turkeys...talk about moist...omg. the juice is literally dripping out of it.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm not sure you can improve your chicken, dude.

20. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

That time of year again! Weather is going to be perfect tomorrow to fire up the smoker. Just wish the Rockets game was on Saturday, that would be great day!