1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calling all the pit masters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NateNate, Apr 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. NateNate

NateNate Member

If you haven't reached pit master level yet, please disperse. Jk

I'm a beginner on the bbq grill, and i was looking and hoping someone could share a simple tasty Chicken marinate recipe. Tomorrow I'm gonna throw some boneless chicken breast over some coals...

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

3. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dWxdyB91INM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Get yourself a meat thermometer. The number one way people screw up chicken is by over cooking it.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

I usually have the opposite problem of undercooking bbq's. Looks good but then I take a bite and it's still pinkish red on the inside, and then I cry a little.

7. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Let all the juiciness pour out? No way man.

Brine the chicken over night (1 G water, 3/4 C salt, and like 2T sugar, thats off my head you can google for a real one), next morning throw Olive oil, some parsley, garlic, crushed red, salt, pepper, small amount of rosemary and thyme, blend in blender. Let sit for 4 hours or so.

Cook chicken, done.

8. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

**** let me correct myself, don't brine overnight it might be too salty, for like 4 to 6 hrs.

Or you could just buy HEB premarinated chicken.....

9. droxford

droxford Member

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

nice timing. i'm actually curing my smoker right now. getting it ready for my first brisket of the year tomorrow morning. sorry can't help you with a chicken recipe.

11. tallanvor

Grillers should make sure they report back what they did and how it went. Other grillers need to learn from your successes/failures.

brisket is tough to cook. Good luck.

#11 tallanvor, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

my first brisket of the year, not ever. :) but yes it is difficult to get right the first time. just placed the pecan wood on the fire. only 10 more hours to go.

13. rockbox

Briskets are not hard at all. Just don't listen to legends of the 12-18 hour smoke. Briskets are done, when they are done.

14. rockbox

If poking a chicken breast with a thermometer effects the juiciest, you are doing it wrong.

15. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Well yea, you can poke to see if the juice runs clear, Im just imagining things Ive seen before, were the person stabs the chicken every 5 mins in 3 or 4 different places, letting out all the heat/smoke and wonders why it is taking so long...

16. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Hell if you want something really easy that'll taste pretty good use Italian dressing and marinade for just a few hours and you're set

17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

This but add brown sugar. Let marinate overnight. Good to go

18. tallanvor

What would you consider to be a challenging piece of meat to smoke? I am thinking about busting out the smoker tomorrow and looking for a challenge.

19. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

Whole hog. You can usually find small ones at most butcher shops. But there is no doubt that brisket is one of the tougher meats to get consustant great results from. One thing to try that has been gaining a lot traction lately is instead of wrapping your brisket in foil to avoid drying out is to use butcher paper. Butcher paper breathes, so instead of roasting your meat and losing that great bark with foil, you wrap it in paper and keep the bark but keep the moisture. I wrap mine at IT of 180* and pull it at 205*. Keep the paper on and put it into a cooler til it drops to 145*, then slice and serve....thank me later!

1 person likes this.
  20. rockbox

I want to try that someday. I need a bigger smoker first.