1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Call them racists..."

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Jul 20, 2010.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and now we see the genesis of the "non-official campaign's" coordinated attack on Palin:

[rquoter]When McCain picked Palin, liberal journalists coordinated the best line of attack
    By Jonathan Strong - The Daily Caller 3:09 AM 07/22/2010

In the hours after Sen. John McCain announced his choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin to be his running mate in the last presidential race, members of an online forum called Journolist struggled to make sense of the pick. Many of them were liberal reporters, and in some cases their comments reflected a journalist’s instinct to figure out the meaning of a story.

But in many other exchanges, the Journolisters clearly had another, more partisan goal in mind: to formulate the most effective talking points in order to defeat Palin and McCain and help elect Barack Obama president. The tone was more campaign headquarters than newsroom.

The conversation began with a debate over how best to attack Sarah Palin. “Honestly, this pick reeks of desperation,” wrote Michael Cohen of the New America Foundation in the minutes after the news became public. “How can anyone logically argue that Sarah Pallin [sic], a one-term governor of Alaska, is qualified to be President of the United States? Train wreck, thy name is Sarah Pallin.”

Not a wise argument, responded Jonathan Stein, a reporter for Mother Jones. If McCain were asked about Palin’s inexperience, he could simply point to then candidate Barack Obama’s similarly thin resume. “Q: Sen. McCain, given Gov. Palin’s paltry experience, how is she qualified to be commander in chief?,” Stein asked hypothetically. “A: Well, she has much experience as the Democratic nominee.”

“What a joke,” added Jeffrey Toobin of the New Yorker. “I always thought that some part of McCain doesn’t want to be president, and this choice proves my point. Welcome back, Admiral Stockdale.”

Daniel Levy of the Century Foundation noted that Obama’s “non-official campaign” would need to work hard to discredit Palin. “This seems to me like an occasion when the non-official campaign has a big role to play in defining Palin, shaping the terms of the conversation and saying things that the official [Obama] campaign shouldn’t say – very hard-hitting stuff, including some of the things that people have been noting here – scare people about having this woefully inexperienced, no foreign policy/national security/right-wing christia wing-nut a heartbeat away …… bang away at McCain’s age making this unusually significant …. I think people should be replicating some of the not-so-pleasant viral email campaigns that were used against [Obama].”

Ryan Donmoyer, a reporter for Bloomberg News who was covering the campaign, sent a quick thought that Palin’s choice not to have an abortion when she unexpectedly became pregnant at age 44 would likely boost her image because it was a heartwarming story.

“Her decision to keep the Down’s baby is going to be a hugely emotional story that appeals to a vast swath of America, I think,” Donmoyer wrote.

Politico reporter Ben Adler, now an editor at Newsweek, replied, “but doesn’t leaving sad baby without its mother while she campaigns weaken that family values argument? Or will everyone be too afraid to make that point?”

Blogger Matt Yglesias sent out a new post thread with the subject, “The line on Palin.”

“John McCain picked someone to help him politically, Barack Obama picked someone to help him govern,” Yglesias wrote.

Ed Kilgore, managing editor of the Democratic Strategist blog, argued that journalists and others trying to help the Obama campaign should focus on Palin’s beliefs. “The criticism of her really, really needs to be ideological, not just about experience. If we concede she’s a ‘maverick,’ we will have done John McCain an enormous service. And let’s don’t concede the claim that [Hillary Clinton] supporters are likely to be very attracted to her,” Kilgore said.

Amidst this debate over how most effectively to destroy Palin’s reputation, reporter Avi Zenilman, who was then writing about the campaign for Politico, chimed in to note that Palin had “openly backed” parts of Obama’s energy plan. In an interview Wednesday, Zenilman said he sent the information as a means of promoting a story he had written for Politico.

Chris Hayes of the Nation wrote in with words of encouragement, and to ask for more talking points. “Keep the ideas coming! Have to go on TV to talk about this in a few min and need all the help I can get,” Hayes wrote.

Suzanne Nossel, chief of operations for Human Rights Watch, added a novel take: “I think it is and can be spun as a profoundly sexist pick. Women should feel umbrage at the idea that their votes can be attracted just by putting a woman, any woman, on the ticket no matter her qualifications or views.”

Mother Jones’s Stein loved the idea. “That’s excellent! If enough people – people on this list? – write that the pick is sexist, you’ll have the networks debating it for days. And that negates the SINGLE thing Palin brings to the ticket,” he wrote.

Another writer from Mother Jones, Nick Baumann, had this idea: “Say it with me: ‘Classic GOP Tokenism’.”

Kilgore wasn’t sold: “I STRONGLY think the immediate task is to challenge the ‘maverick’ bull**** about Palin, which everybody on the tube is echoing. I’ll say it one more time: Palin is a hard-core conservative ideologue in every measurable way.”

Zenilman of Politico, a purportedly nonpartisan journalist, weighed in with tactical advice: “The experience attack is a stupid one. It’s absolutely the wrong tack — the tack that McCain took when he was losing, and that Hillary and Biden took all primaries.” Zenilman said Wednesday he was offering “typical offhand political analysis.”

Joe Klein of Time stopped by with an update on the latest from his magazine: “We’re reporting that she actually supported the bridge to nowhere. First flub?”

Klein, who displayed an independent streak in other circumstances (“anybody who knows me knows I do my own thinking,” he said in a Wednesday interview), seemed to exude more partisanship that day than usual.

As the morning wore on into the afternoon, some on Journolist came to believe the Palin pick had been shrewd. Palin was coming off as appealing and a maverick, they worried.

“Okay, let’s get deadly serious, folks. Grating voice or not, ‘inexperienced’ or not, Sarah Palin’s just been introduced to the country as a brave, above-party, oil-company-bashing, pork-hating maverick ‘outsider’,” Kilgore said, “What we can do is to expose her ideology.”

Ryan Avent, then blogging for the Economist and now an editor there, agreed that criticizing Palin’s experience might not work. “I really don’t think the experience argument needs to be made by the Dems. It’s completely obvious to any reasonable person. Instead, hammer away at the fact that she has terrible positions on things like choice, and on the fact that she has no ideas on the issues important to people,” he wrote.

Journolist’s founder Ezra Klein, now a blogger at the Washington Post, reached an entirely different conclusion: “I see no reason to attack Palin. I think you accurately describe Palin and attack McCain.” Klein linked to an article he had written for the American Prospect that calmly described Palin’s thin resume.

Time’s Joe Klein then linked to his own piece, parts of which he acknowledged came from strategy sessions on Journolist. “Here’s my attempt to incorporate the accumulated wisdom of this august list-serve community,” he wrote. And indeed Klein’s article contained arguments developed by his fellow Journolisters. Klein praised Palin personally, calling her “fresh” and “delightful,” but questioned her “militant” ideology. He noted Palin had endorsed parts of Obama’s energy proposal.

That was all on the day of the announcement.[/rquoter]

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/07/22/w...-the-best-line-of-attack/print/#ixzz0uQ9LcB3E

2. basso

Supporting Member

i've been an economist subscriber since the mid-80s, but had noticed a change editorially in the last few years, particularly how they referred to the right in the US.

it's worth highlighting this portion from the above article for all those who still view the economist as "conservative."

Ryan Avent, then blogging for the Economist and now an editor there, agreed that criticizing Palin’s experience might not work. “I really don’t think the experience argument needs to be made by the Dems. It’s completely obvious to any reasonable person. Instead, hammer away at the fact that she has terrible positions on things like choice, and on the fact that she has no ideas on the issues important to people,” he wrote.

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The alternate explanation, the one that for the life of you you will never accept, is that everybody but you and your pals sees that in fact the problem lies with Palin not with massive giant conspiracy by former conservative magazines who've secretly converted to liberalism, and the rest of the massive, international free press, who are all conspiring to slander you.

Occam's razor, b***h.

She is not intellectually qualified for major national office. The fault in this instance isn't with everybody else. It is with you.

The Republicans could run out Corky from "Life Goes On" as a candidate and as long as he had the talking points down, you and your pals would be blaming the "liberal media" for running a smear campaign by pointing out that he, in fact, has a below average IQ.

4. basso

Supporting Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FJFtSaESQCM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FJFtSaESQCM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

and the true hilarity, ridiculousness, hypocricy is that they claim that everyone else is always blaming someone for their problems

its truly astounding

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes now that they are out of power they have fully embraced the policy of victimhood.

7. basso

Supporting Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bk0sMwzpGhM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bk0sMwzpGhM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

8. basso

Supporting Member

Letter from Editor-in-Chief Tucker Carlson on The Daily Caller’s Journolist coverage

[rquoter]We began our series on Journolist earlier this week with the expectation that our stories would be met with a fury of criticism from the Left. A hurt dog barks, after all.

The response hasn’t been all that furious, actually, probably because there isn’t much for the exposed members of Journolist to say. We caught them. They’re ashamed. The wise ones are waiting for the tempest to pass.

There have, however, been two lines of argument that we probably ought to respond to, if only because they may harden into received wisdom if we don’t. The first is that our pieces have proved only that liberal journalists have liberal views, and that’s hardly news.

To be clear: We’re not contesting the right of anyone, journalist or not, to have political opinions. (I, for one, have made a pretty good living expressing mine.) What we object to is partisanship, which is by its nature dishonest, a species of intellectual corruption. Again and again, we discovered members of Journolist working to coordinate talking points on behalf of Democratic politicians, principally Barack Obama. That is not journalism, and those who engage in it are not journalists. They should stop pretending to be. The news organizations they work for should stop pretending, too.

The second line of attack we’ve encountered since we began the series is familiar to anyone who has ever published a piece whose subject didn’t like the finished product: “You quoted me out of context!”

The short answer is, no we didn’t. I edited the first four stories myself, and I can say that our reporter Jonathan Strong is as meticulous and fair as anyone I have worked with.

That assurance won’t stop the attacks, of course. So why don’t we publish whatever portions of the Journolist archive we have and end the debate? Because a lot of them have no obvious news value, for one thing. Gather 400 lefty reporters and academics on one listserv and it turns out you wind up with a strikingly high concentration of b****iness. Shocking amounts, actually. So while it might be amusing to air threads theorizing about the personal and sexual shortcomings of various New Republic staffers, we’ve decided to pull back.

Plus, a lot of the material on Journolist is actually pretty banal. In addition to being partisan hacks, a lot of these guys turn out to be pedestrian thinkers. Disappointing.

We reserve the right to change our minds about this in the future, but for now there’s an easy solution to this question: Anyone on Journolist who claims we quoted him “out of context” can reveal the context himself. Every member of Journolist received new threads from the group every day, most of which are likely still sitting in Gmail accounts all over Washington and New York. So feel free to try to prove your allegations, or else stop making them.

One final note: Editing this series has been something of a depressing experience for me. I’ve been in journalism my entire adult life, and have often defended it against fellow conservatives who claim the news business is fundamentally corrupt. It’s harder to make that defense now. It will be easier when honest (and, yes, liberal) journalists denounce what happened on Journolist as wrong.[/rquoter]

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/07/22/l...ly-callers-journolist-coverage/#ixzz0uRuDZdSl

9. basso

Supporting Member

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's the dirty truth you don't want to admit.

A big chunk of Tea Party folks are indeed racists. The racists of America are drawn into that party because it's values are the values of the white bred fear-mongering never-been-off-the-ranch conservatives. That's who they are minus the token confused black guy.

They are pissed that a black man is president. And they are pissed at the idea of blacks getting free health care and more from the gov't.

That's what this is about. It's about race. You know it and it's why you keep posting these dumb threads...because it's not about Health care of bailouts or anything.

It's about black vs. white.

Why do we all need to pretend? Let's call a spade a spade. Tea Partiers don't protest poor whites in west virginia getting help. They protest money going to poor blacks. Look at the policies they align and it's clear.

The fact is that Tea Partiers think blacks are poor because they are lazy. They never say that about poor whites. And that's the fundamental issue here. Blacks don't deserve anyone's help. That's the real issue.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

It's really about class. Race is a convenience and a tool for those who yearn for the 1890's.

12. basso

Supporting Member

that you Shirley?

13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

That's racist.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Sorry, dear Imperial Wizard, but no...it's just what a lot of polls have shown to be true.

Tea Party is racist. As you like to say, Doh!!!!!

And saying that Al Qaeda is a reflection of Islam is the equivalent of saying the KKK represents Christianity. So by your logic, and that of your savior Sarah Palin, all Christians are the KKK and no Christian church or cross should be every placed in a black neighborhood since that would be stabbing the good people in the hearts.

Give me a break Basso. You're smarter than that. Stop this dumb game. Unless you're actually a liberal...cause you are actually making people more liberal and strengthening their arguments. You get schooled on this board 100 to 1 times you start a thread.

#54 Sweet Lou 4 2, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I'll show you racist:

http://firedoglake.com/2010/07/02/n...s-think-blacks-are-poor-because-they’re-lazy/

So I think if half the Tea Party says blacks are lazy that kinda gives credence to calling them a bunch of bigots.

I guess the real question is, which half is Basso, Thumbs, and Giddyup and I'm curious to see what they think of the other.

#55 Sweet Lou 4 2, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  16. aghast

aghast Member

Corky accepting, much less fighting for, the status quo? Never!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3kgdikuVQOU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3kgdikuVQOU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Basso's job: Copy, paste, bold. Repeat.

Seriously, your posts hold no value and replying to the articles that you post is a waste of time. You never respond and you back up your garbage with another cut-and-paste, right-winged, mildly-racist article or blog.

And yes, I just wasted my time responding to this thread.

18. aghast

aghast Member

It's okay, Cod. All of us have differences & disabilities, but can't we all just celebrate the abilities we do have?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9aJFSpkxjtY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9aJFSpkxjtY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

19. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Ha...that wasn't supposed to be funny, but it was. :confused:

20. basso

Supporting Member