1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calipari on Revamping NBA Age Rule

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Bearius Jones, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Why does one need a college degree to play basketball?

2. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Inferior talent is not the reason

Inferior talent you say...9 times out of 10 I say yes that is true. But I am looking at it on who is most NBA ready. It is a reward for that player to have given the NBA more time to evaluate said player's talent. It doesn't have to be a lot...just an added incentive for those who may graduate college later in life to get more credits now before entering the professional world when life gets a lot more busy. And it helps those not ready for the NBA but want money to stay an extra year to get a little boost in their contract depending on their achievements in school. Besides if the freshman or sophomore is a stud then they should get reward as well with whatever awards they got in college. Quote from me on what I mean.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Mike Krzyzewski: “College basketball has to have a relationship with the NBA. We don’t have anything like that. That’s just kind of sad.”

So yes, its basically time for the NBA to interact with the NCAA OFFICIALLY as its farm system.

I'm sorry for the NCAA, but I don't think they should be entitled to get young players ready for the NBA. NCAA should be a watered down student athlete institution if the NBA can already provide its own developmental leagues.

It just HAPPENS as of now that college is the BEST route for would be NBA players to develop. But ONE year and DONE is a huge waste of time. It has to be at least TWO years and a kid MAYBE elects to stay another year.

With of course an international player being able to enter the league before the domestic product...

1 person likes this.
  4. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Stregthen Minor League

There should be a representative that focuses on the NBA-College relationship and researches to see what is best for both institutions.

Don't think it will be watered down though because of the money March Madness generates. I think the one and dones help college bball generate interest.

The most reknown of the one and dones would probably have came out of high school under the old rules. No juggernaut Kentucky teams. Less views. Should make it like more like baseball minor system and drafting in college like you pointed out with only 2 years in college instead of 3 compared to baseball.

Basketball either needs to go all-in in the NBDL or college basketball for player development...or half-in both if they're smart. Right now they're half-ass-in.

5. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's hard to listen to people who have such a vested interest on how the NBA basically sets the bar on their ability to win an NCAA championship.

I think everyone can agree that baseball has the best system though. There's a professional minor league for those serious about preparing themselves for the majors, and there's a college system that still grabs plenty of good talent for kids that 1. actually want to get a degree, and 2. don't think they are ready physically to be thrown to the wolves. Going to college by no means diminishes your chances of playing professionally, but for Pete's sake if you're "graduating" high school at a 2nd grade reading level, you're only wasting your time trying to get anything out of college (except laid of course).

1 person likes this.
  6. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

College over Minor League Pro: Getting Laid

Well...I'm sure you are more likely to get laid often being a college star then being a minor league star. Being the "big man on campus" comes with a lot of perks. That is a strong pro for college if I ever heard one. :grin:

7. jogo

jogo Member

Making people go to college before they can play in the NBA is ludicrous. We're probably the only nation in the world that subscribes to such silliness. College isn't for everyone and acting like going to a year of college helps a kid who will play in the NBA someday is wrong. Some players are "coached up" in college, but it seems like many get to the NBA and just don't have a clue how to play basketball. Why are they going to college again?

If I am 18 and an entrepreneur with good ideas then it makes sense for me to start a business early to increase my earnings potential. If my ideas are valuable, then every year I spend in college (and don't start work) gives someone else the chance to patent my ideas or create a similar product/service.

What if I was a whiz kid with numbers? In high school I created a system for valuing stocks/commodities/whatever and a big corporation/thinktank/wallstreet firm said, "That guy is going to make us a lot of money!" But then I was told, "Hey, you're going to have to go to college! Yeah, it's just for 2 years. We KNOW you're not getting a degree and actually your ideas are beyond what the profs will teach. Basically, that's just the rules. So, enjoying wasting those 2 years earning nothing and we'll see you when you drop out of college in 2. One more thing...there's a chance that while you're in college someone else will become more valuable than you. We'd have to choose him/her, of course. Also, it's possible you could get injured (in your head?) and your ideas just won't carry the same weight. And then we won't hire you. Have fun!"

1 person likes this.
  8. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

NBA don't care about NBDL

Hahaha...you're funny. I like your analogy but it is what it is.

For some reason the NBA has yet to commit to a farm system to use and develop the skills of the "geniuses" coming out of high school like baseball while others who need more seasoning go to college. NBA players think of the NBDL as punishment(I'm looking at you Roy Hibbert) and not training or preparation. That shows how much the NBA "cares" about a development league's image that they are responsible for.

I don't know if the NBA is too lazy, got burned too many times with the Kwame Browns of the league, or has some underhanded agreement with the NCAA but it seems they want to take less burden off GMs by giving them more time to evaluate the talent just in case these "geniuses's" high school production was a fluke.

Few teams have committed to trying to expand the NBDL as a true farm system and you see Stern focusing more on trying to mandate a 2 year wait after high school before getting drafted instead of encouraging other teams to do the same. You see where his priorities lie.

He wants the NCAA to farm the NBA players WITHOUT having NBA teams pay to develop them weeding out any good/great high school players from getting overdrafted. This benefits NCAA because they rake up the dough come tournament time with high end talent that normally would already be in the NBA. Mutual partnership.

You notice how college basketball has gotten more interesting since the rule change? Not a coincidence. :mad:

So long story short, NBA save money while NCAA makes money.